Pressure Washer Choice?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Figured I would revive a pressure washer thread if possible. I have a Honda 3200psi at 2.5 gpm and it just isn't powerful enough unless I narrow the spray pattern down to about pencil eraser size. What I need is a sprayer that uses more gpm. Not just hosing off the tractor but for things like removing paint from wood for painting prep and stuff. Any suggestions without breaking the bank?
Was wondering if RCW and Dark Age 53 were still happy with their choices.
Bark - - my washer has been fine so far (knocking on wood....). Not a lot of hours on it...probably 3-4 hours per year.

I wanted my pressure washer for cleaning the house vinyl siding, paver patio, wooden porch. Have never used it on the tractors, but intend to do so on the old 'Moline.

For cleaning purposes, it works for me with the 25* nozzle, but I still have to be careful with distance in some places. I have no problem with GPM for that purpose.

I can see how you would be disenchanted for stripping purposes.

I have done some stripping of old stain from our porch. I have to be careful of eroding the wood planks if too heavy-handed. Found a wider nozzle up close was better than a pin-point stream.

Honestly, I see no "homeowner" alternative that would be much different if your intent is stripping large areas and done quickly.

The Honda engine on the Simpson washer I have is a plus in my opinion.

Before I bought mine, I consulted a painter that also washes homes, businesses and windows. He thought the PSI/GPM were good for my purpose, but I could damage stuff if not paying attention...

I should note that my 83 year old father has a 2,000 PSI electric washer, and he's damned-near ruined most of the Trex on his deck trying to wash out mildew stains. Even at a lower pressure, he gets too close with a pin-point spray, and has grooved it up pretty good.....

Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.....

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
thought I'd add.

I made an attachment for mine. Though I have now seen them online called "undercarriage spray attachments", I made mine out of some old gas pipe (1") and 4 nozzles and a quick attach. 2 inline skate wheels one on each side. Slip it on, roll it under the mower deck of my ZG127S, spray away, roll it around. Exactly what I built it for. Works on the truck and all the cars too, gets road grime off the bottom. Slick attachment. If you build one you have to calculate what size nozzles to get based on your gpm and number of nozzles but it's simple addition, multiplication. Real easy. I have like $30 tied up in mine.

I also bought a rotating surface cleaner for cleaning the back deck. 16" diameter I think. It's got a spray bar on it that rotates under the round housing kinda like a lawn mower blade, nozzles spray downward at high pressure. Another indispensible item. Saves HOURS of time and probably 100 gallons of water.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It's the pump you need to worry about not the motor driving it.

The pumps have a "service duty" or duty cycle rating from light duty homeowner class (basically disposable light duty junk) made to operate a few hundred hours to commercial continuous duty class made to operate thousands of hours between rebuilds.

If you don't see a rating or can't find one then your pump is light duty.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I like the ones with a Honda engine and a CAT pump.
The cat pumps are very reliable and rebuildable if needed.
The one I use and have had a few years is a
Pressure-Pro Professional 3300 PSI

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.....
RCW, Thanks for the reply and for you other peoples input. It has given me some new ideas and also made me realize I am too impatient. I want something that will blow all the old paint off the house without having to get out of my lawn chair.😳

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
i just bought a new gas PW 2800 psi from cdn tire, I need this rotating nozzle, that’s awesome!
Just finished watching a bunch of videos about the turbo nozzles, and almost all said to match the nozzle to the pressure output of your machine. One video made it sound like one size fits all with nozzle from Walmart.

Reactions: 1 user