Pressure Washer Choice?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Searched for threads on pressure washers. Last one I found was from 2010. Figured worth a re-check.

Finishing house re-siding job. All vinyl. Will need to get a pressure washer for cleaning.

Don't need for daily use or many hours per week. Typical homeowner use, but I don't like to be under-powered when buying a tool. In this case, don't think I want/need commercial-grade.

Never had one, because they would probably have ripped my Masonite siding all to heck before. Garden hose was fine to take down cobwebs, etc.

Plan on gas powered, doubt I would consider electric.

Looks like at or above 3,000 PSI you need to be cautious about damage to wood, concrete, siding, vehicles, etc., but it's manageable with some common sense. Guess that part doesn't concern me much.

TSC has a Honda-driven one that looks good to me. 3,200 PSI @ 2.5 gpm. $75 Rebate after purchase for Fathers Day. Reviews look good for Simpson products all-around.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...@-25-gpm-gas-pressure-washer-powered-by-honda

Told my wife that my kids would gladly get one for me for Father's Day, as long as I go get it and pay for it, too!:p:p

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
I have a 3000 pounder (gas by Honda). Has 4 nozzles to adjust ripping siding off the house.
The lightest works pretty good for washing car and tractor. The highest pressure nozzle I tried for removing dirt from logs prior to bucking up with chain saw. Wow it actually debarked the log.
Very similar to what you linked to.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got two. One is 2500 PSI with a new pump, and I don't use it.

I bought one off of CL for $30, that's 1500 PSI with a little 4 B&S gas engine. Does everything I need a pressure washer for. Starts easy, easy to move, easy on fuel, small to store.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
On advice from a friend that had an electric one, he told me to buy the gas powered type and avoid the hassle of the cord and outlet. I think this is good advice.

Reactions: 1 users

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
I have one that is a harbor freight electric I bought for furniture refinishing. It's 1600 psi and you have to be careful at that pressure using it on wood, depending on how soft that wood is. I used it yesterday to wash tractor parts to paint and could have used a lot more pressure. Some of the better models of power washers you can adjust the pressure so you could turn the pressure down when working on something delicate. I only use the power washer in one location so an electric works fine for me.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
While electrics are usually not as powerful as gas they do have a few advantages. When you live in the cold north you can take it inside in the winter to avoid freezing without bringing in the gas fumes. There is a lot less maintenance with an electric motor. The electric washers are usually a lot smaller making for easier storage. The electric washers are usually cheaper unless you buy a used gas washer.... It all depends on having enough uses to justify the extra hassle of gas. I have an electric washer and I guess I would rent a gas washer if I ever need more.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Most of your pressure washers are really good :D:D There is a colorful selection through my neighborhood. One neighbors got a craftsman. Swears by it. Another has a green one sold from one of the big box stores and loves that one. Me, I borrow one or the other when I have a project :p

If I may make a suggestion. Look for a adjustable pressure wand for which ever one you decide to buy ;) May be sold separately but well worth the money. The wand has a knob or adjustment on the handle where you can dial the pressure down on demand. This way you can go from a mild garden hose stream all the way up to full psi for your pressure washer.

Makes your pressure washer a one size fits all applications from the really delicate washes where your concerned about paint or cleaning a radiator, up to stripping your driveway :D

Here's a pic of the adjustable wand we have at the shop. The pressure adjustment is in the handle that sticks out the side. Rotate it one way for low pressure, the other way to increase it.

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
That's probably not that bad of a pressure washer. Those GC Hondas are ok, but not great. They're basically 1/2 to 1 step above most consumer grade throwaway things of today. If I had a choice I would get something with a Honda GX motor, but then you're talking more money, but it's a much better engine. Like this one:https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/simpson-powershot-ps3228t-gas-3-400-psi-25-gpm-honda-gx-200-engine-pressure-washer

I had one with a Honda GC, but it didn't have as good of a pump either. Eventually I wound up getting a Honda GX motor for it, and a better pump, which then meant I needed a better hose (which was ok since the original was too short anyhow). Basically I had my own custom pressure washer on the old cart, and it cost a lot more than the original one, but works better also.

If you need to clean higher than 8 feet or so get one of the longer poles, and get quick disconnects to switch back and forth between that and the hand wand. Also get a quick disconnect for where the garden hose attaches to the pump (get a good brass one, not a plastic one).

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Have a gas one. Tank rusted and took carburetor with it. Simoniz. Junk. Had an electric given to me, little less pressure but it works good enough. I use it inside my shop from time to time.
I would never buy another gas one,i add stabilizer and i still had problems. Guess ethanol fuel is the biggest part of my troubles. Next one,wall hanger with 100 foot hose on a reel. Open valve and flip a switch.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks, guys.

I'm thinking I might/could/should go with the TSC one I linked.

I borrowed a neighbor's electric years ago. Worked good but was a hassle pulling power cord and hose around. My only experience with one.

I'm more able to fix a gas engine than an electric motor.

Someone mentioned the Honda GC vs. GX engine. There is a good difference in engine quality, and the pump on the commercial one too, but don't want to double purchase price. Really liked that model, though!

Tooljunkie mentioned the ethanol gas problems. Man, BTDT. Thankfully, ethanol free has been readily available here for the last 5+ years, and that's all I get for small engines anymore.

Now, IF I do buy one, should I use synthetic motor oil in it????:p:p:) Couldn't resist - and I don't really need any advice there. For the new guys - oil/fluid types are a hot topic!:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its your call,im of the old school of thought,i was raised on sae30 in small engines. As a matter of fact it was used as oil for 2 stroke engines when nothing else was available.

All i carry in my shop is synthetic and synthetic blend so its 10w30sb for my stuff now. I dont stretch the service interval though.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oil as a hot topic has been around since they started putting it in containers.
True - I was just poking fun because we all have our opinions.

Funny thing is none of us are wrong!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I bought a Yamaha PW3028. They also have a 4000 psi job for those who want mo powa.

I'm tickled with it! Uses very little fuel. Not real loud like the Home Depot version (powered by Honda, pump died within 2 years, replaced, 2nd pump died and I threw it away). A few features that I like about it are that it has a dial-style nozzle, which if you want low pressure, you turn it to 800 psi. You want a wide high pressure fan, turn it to 40°, there's a 25° nozzle as well for blasting off really nasty stuff. Then theres 2 soap settings. It's all one nozzle, so if you're, say, washing a Kubota's greasy engine at high pressure wide fan, then you go to wash a John Deere or Craftsman lawn tractor, you'll just turn the tip to 800 psi so you don't blow a hole in the paper thin mowing deck. It also has a built in soap dispenser, and make sure you use the correct soap! Tires are non-pneumatic so no worries of flat tires. The handle folds down so that the top of the washer is completely flat, which is nice if you're like me and have limited storage space. I throw a piece of plywood across it and store more stuff on top of it when I ain't using it. It's very well thought out for sure. The rope start handle has a guide so it's easy to access. Choke and on/off switch are easily accessible as well. The engine itself is the same engine that's used on the EF2800i inverter/generator-so it's proven (I also have one of those, and it has been awesome). Uses a fully-rebuildable cat pump. One thing worth mentioning, if you don't use it a lot, get you some pump saver and use it. I also like to put the garden hose connections on quick connects as it makes it a lot quicker to get it out and then to put it away, and also makes it simple to add pump saver. Just clip it on like an air hose.

I paid more for it than the Home Depot special but I got a LOT better power washer for sure. Had it now for 2 years, have used the heck out of it and have never had a single issue out of it.

TSC-I don't buy anything from them. I call it the chinese farm store. Almost everything they sell is exactly the same as you get at the big box stores, maybe re-branded, but basically the same stuff and you pay more, and have zero service after the sale, just like the big box stores. TSC locally uses a dealer about 40 miles from the TSC store that services all of the stuff they sell. Local TSC doesn't service anything. If you have a warranty issue, you get to drive 40 miles to drop it off, they fix it (maybe), and then you drive another 40 miles to pick it up a few weeks later. TSC won't replace it, you go to their service center and maybe they will.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I really liked the sounds of lugbolt's Yamaha machine, but my only option was internet purchase, and I'm too old fashioned to do that much.
If this one craps out, I will go back to it and look again.
I did end up with the TSC model same as Dark Age.
Haven't started it yet, but set to go. I did add another 25' of hose.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Figured I would revive a pressure washer thread if possible. I have a Honda 3200psi at 2.5 gpm and it just isn't powerful enough unless I narrow the spray pattern down to about pencil eraser size. What I need is a sprayer that uses more gpm. Not just hosing off the tractor but for things like removing paint from wood for painting prep and stuff. Any suggestions without breaking the bank?
Was wondering if RCW and Dark Age 53 were still happy with their choices.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Before replacing your pressure washer, if you don't already have a turbo (rotating) nozzle, I would try that first. I got one for my 3100 psi washer at walmart a few years ago for 15 bucks and it makes a world of difference in cleaning ability.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Before replacing your pressure washer, if you don't already have a turbo (rotating) nozzle, I would try that first. I got one for my 3100 psi washer at walmart a few years ago for 15 bucks and it makes a world of difference in cleaning ability.

i just bought a new gas PW 2800 psi from cdn tire, I need this rotating nozzle, that’s awesome!