Press is reporting..... (not about tractors or a virus)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
And that my friend is why some people should be shot on the spot when they get caught.

Reactions: 3 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
They use to hang horse thieves ,,, just sayin

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Isn't the consumption of horse meat legal in Canada? I heard it was considered high quality meat.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Anyone should be able to slaughter Horse for meat, with one caveat: THEY SHOULD ALSO OWN SAID HORSE.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's not illegal to eat horse meat in the USA, just not accepted by most because they are considered pets. In fact, during WW2 some soldier were fed horse meat.

Here's a quote from another thread I was reading.

"One of my rodeo traveling partners went on a "wild west show" to Japan in the early 70's. Several years before there was a show that went to Europe. Those guys in Europe nearly starved. So part of their contract stated that they would have steak available every night. He said the steaks kept getting smaller and smaller and tougher and tougher. Then one day there was big juice steaks. On about the third day a guy from South Dakota was sitting across from him. The S. D. guy said this is pretty good horse isn't it? He said that he prefers his beef rare but his horse medium well.

The horse I ate was deep red, no fat, and kind of stringy. A horse we bought to be a practice bucking horse. It ran head long into a RR tie post and broke its neck so we butchered it out. Some rodeo cowboys I knew in college were poor and hungry. They bought a fat Welsh pony at a horse sale for about $40. They were still poor but they weren't hungry."

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I imagine no different than Mule Deer. Problem is, free ranging animals tend to be tough meat, where as 'corraled' animals (like a 'pet horse) would be much more tender.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Im not sure where you get that wild animals have tough meat, Skip. I eat venison and elk regularly and the meat is as tender and delicious as any beef Ive ever had. Its all in how you prepare it. Most tend to overcook it which is why they dont like it. If they treated their beef the same it would suck too.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All depends on the species and how much running and muscle development happens. I prefer a doe over a buck anyday and hunt doe's for meat regularly.

All about personal preference I guess but irregardless, I'm not doing horse meat. Besides, my wife would be very unhappy.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Horse theft is still listed as a hanging offense in Arizona law.
I have always thought it should be rigorously enforced, and that my car/truck/motorcycle/atv is my modern horse, and their theft should have the same penalty.
I'll bet auto theft would just about cease to exist.
But no, that would be threatening & intimidating to criminals.
Can't have that.

Reactions: 2 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I had to look it up and to my disappointment yes horse meat is legal to eat in Canada and Mexico. My opinion on that is just because it's legal doesn't make it right however while I was reading this I wolfed down a deer burger which many would find wrong but frig them it was delicious.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I had to look it up and to my disappointment yes horse meat is legal to eat in Canada and Mexico. My opinion on that is just because it's legal doesn't make it right however while I was reading this I wolfed down a deer burger which many would find wrong but frig them it was delicious.

I remember reading somewhere that in your country, prime horse meat steaks are considered 'top shelf in fine restaurants.

Guess you have to ask what kind of steak it is before you order it.... :rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Saw it listed on the menu at the Tokyo airport. Around here auctioned off cheap horses used to get put on trucks to go to Canada for slaughter. All of the dewormers and other meds often say "not to be given to horses to be used for meat." Rumor is that horses are occasionally stolen out of pastures for shipment. Having the border closed at the moment might have one advantage.

Would not be my personal choice, but I guess it depends on how hungry someone is. Once they're dead I see no difference in turning the carcass into human food, dog food, or glue. However, I do hate the conditions by which they're trucked to slaughter, and wouldn't want to support the inhumane industry by buying the meat. Same with old ewes being trucked across the country to Mexico.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well, cats are a delicacy in some oriential countries and I think, so are dogs and look what the sold to eat in the Wuhan market....

Reminds me of the old worn out line... Chinese cookbook... A hundred ways to Wok your dog.... :D

I'd say horse meat is pretty tame actually.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
In Asian countries dog meat is considered to have particular health benefits. I have been to several Asian countries and certain breeds of dogs are considered the same as any other live stock. The dog meat served in specialty restaurants are bred specifically for that purpose. I have never seen any pets eaten in any country. Although I have been in several Asian countries I have never been to China so I cannot speak with any authority about eating habits there.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Texas was one of the last places to have horse slaughter plants. They had two. They worked in less populated areas and didn't advertise their business to keep the nuts at bay. The horse lovers finally after years of trying, got them shut down by getting the USDA to not fund inspectors for the plants.

This lasted for a couple years until the horse overs found out that ole Trigger instead of having a quick humane death was now having to take a 12 to 24 hour ride on crowded truck to Mexico only to get hacked to death by man with a machete. So they reversed the ruling and now allow horse slaughter plants in Texas once again.

Problem is, the two plants in Texas that were shut down had no interest in re-opening. So the horses sold at many of the sale barns around the state are still trucked to Mexico. One of those laws of unintended consequences.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
When I was a kid in Chicago in 1973 there was a sign on the counter at McDonald's that read, "Due to the meat shortage, a portion of our beef is horse meat."

True story.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I really don't care what other people eat and wouldn't want anyone to tell me what to eat. The exception would be "Hey chim, don't eat from that salad bar. The lettuce is contaminated". Just because someone keeps certain animals as pets or has some emotional attachment to them shouldn't make them off limits for those who'd rather eat the species. This reminds me of a discussion Wifey had with our oldest grandaughter when she was about 8 years old.

Grandaughter was lobbying at school for the class to get a potbelly pig for a pet/mascot. She actually wrote up papers for the classmates to sign, and formed the PRO (Pigs Rights Organization) in her class. She was showing us her hand-drawn documents when they came to visit.

We took her next door to see her one cousin's recently born calf. While we were there looking into the pen, Wifey asked her "What do you think, Ellie? Should cows have rights too?"

Without hesitation, Ellie replied "I don't know Grandma. I like my hamburgers".