North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
looking for info where I can get a power steering kit for my b8200
You will have to make your own setup as there isn't a good source for PS for that model.

Most go with a hydrostatic controller and cylinder for steering upgrade.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Okay thanks. I'm looking at the Hoye cylinder adaption. Any thoughts on this set up?
I looked it over, looks to be a good setup, it's very similar to the old setups that were stock for that model.

Depending on which version (they had a late and early version) your hydraulic block might already have the provision for it, but I honestly don't know if it would work without their adjustable proportioning valve.

Cottonmouth

Equipment
Kubota b8200 hst
Apr 17, 2020
Flemington, NJ
I called and asked some questions about it and he did mention the proportioning valve or a diverter valve, is that so you can regulate the flow pressure? I saw in someones thread that they just put the 2 hydraulic lines direct to that hydraulic block in the right side of the tractor by the brake pedals. They don't supply the valve he said you can buy it at harbor frt or northern hydraulics. I'm wondering if the flow is circulating back when the steering is sitting still through there valve on the cylinder? And does it matter witch port is the supply side coming from the tractor on that block?
Thanks again for your input.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If their valve setup has in and out it will matter.

You will have to crank it with the bolts removed in the block (with the stop rod pulled) to be able to tell which port is the feed and the other will be the return.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If their valve setup has in and out it will matter.

You will have to crank it with the bolts removed in the block (with the stop rod pulled) to be able to tell which port is the feed and the other will be the return.
Could you crack one with it running, and see if hydraulic fluid comes out? Seems easier than what you suggest, but probably that's because I don't know what a stop rod is. :)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Could you crack one with it running, and see if hydraulic fluid comes out? Seems easier than what you suggest, but probably that's because I don't know what a stop rod is. :)

NIW is telling you to do his suggested test without starting the engine, just cranking it over to minimize how much fluid will escape during test. Stop rod is injection pump fuel shut off.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I called and asked some questions about it and he did mention the proportioning valve or a diverter valve, is that so you can regulate the flow pressure?
With an open center hydraulic system which is what you have, you cannot have the steering in a straight ahead position and still be able to build up hydraulic pressure in say a FEL or 3 pt hitch as the fluid will take the path of least resistance which is through the steering valve which, in the straight ahead position, is fully open.

To solve this situation normally you use a priority flow control valve which makes certain the steering always has the flow volume it might need while at the same time allowing the other hydraulic circuits to be able to build up pressure as desired. Cheaper and simpler is a flow divider valve. Last is adding a second pump which just serves the steering.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Cottonmouth

Equipment
Kubota b8200 hst
Apr 17, 2020
Flemington, NJ
Hey Dave , when you say priority control valve are you saying to restrict the flow in the line to the power steering? does this valve have another line that returns the excess oil back to the block or is it just allowing me to adjust the flow in line to give me the needed pressure to operate the steering.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Dave , when you say priority control valve are you saying to restrict the flow in the line to the power steering? does this valve have another line that returns the excess oil back to the block or is it just allowing me to adjust the flow in line to give me the needed pressure to operate the steering.
I think he is talkinf about a pressure compensated priority flow divider. It splits the input flow into two INDEPENDENT streams. The priority circuit gets a fixed VOLUME of the input flow independent of circuit pressures. The EXCESS flow goes to the other port. I have used dozens of these RD550 adjustable valves - affordable and they work reliably. Once the system is operational you can tweak the priority setting to get it "just right" for your application. Minimum priority flow setting is roughly 2 GPM.

Prince RD550 Flow Divider

Arrgggg - just noticed this post is ancient and someone just revived it.....

Dan

ezriderf6c

Equipment
b8200d 4x4 with bf300a and backhoe and KX-161-3st w/ steel tracks
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE, I AM LEARNING. YOUR INFORMATION HAS BEEN WONDERFUL.

The OEM Power Steering pump is B9182 And you can find it in the parts system if you look up the B8200DP tractor and look at the extra available equipment here: https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

I think this was dealer installed... did they forget to install a diverter valve?

And I've attached two pictures, one showing the forward hydraulic block and the other showing the B9182 power steering pump. There is no diverter valve and there is no flow control valve. This was done at the factory, so I'm not sure they had a diverter valve... BUT without it, the problem with the FEL weakness exists as the power-steering pump is getting on the flow... Does anybody have a picture with a diverter valve (someone mentioned harbor freight)?
b8200_forward_hydraulic_option_block.jpg

And here's the B9182 power steering assembly:
b8200_hydraulic_actuator.jpg

Last edited:

ezriderf6c

Equipment
b8200d 4x4 with bf300a and backhoe and KX-161-3st w/ steel tracks
I just saw this, a new member posted this in another forum and it explains the flow for this valve. I saw someone above was asking about it:

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.21.18 PM.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
really? Mine is factory and it works great. B8200DT. Are you saying there are no rebuild kits for it?
You are one of the rare ones as that unit is near to impossible to find.
Hope it keeps working for you as the seal kits are obsolete for these.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The OEM Power Steering pump is B9182 And you can find it in the parts system if you look up the B8200DP tractor and look at the extra available equipment here: https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

I think this was dealer installed... did they forget to install a diverter valve?
That model power steering unit (it's not a pump) does not take a separate diverter/ priority valve.

If I'm understanding your base question, is why is my loader weak, could be from a multiple of reasons.

#1 Damaged/ Worn hydraulic pump
#2 Damaged / Worn loader spool valve
#3 Damaged / Worn Seals in the FEL Cylinders ( most common issue )
#4 Improper position of the directional control valve on the Hydraulic block

Hydraulic pressure testing would be you're first line of attack.