Post Hole Digger

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What is the proper RPM for a Post Hole Digger with a 12" Auger?

Personally I would go as slow as I could dig - with enough power to dig, and the reason for that is once you bind it on a root,rock, or very hard clay - the backing out part truly sucks!

The trick is, dig a little, lift a lot !!!! Shear pins not withstanding - the best way to go is slow and steady!:)

As for a rpm - I think the 540 is still the proper setting.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What 85Hokie said! You should not exceed PTO of 300 (so your engine has good torque), but you need to be able to lower the bit with control. If you go to fast you dig deep without clearing the loosened material and you end up stalled. (If necessary slow down the PTO to be safe.)

Then you have to get a big pipe wrench and "unscrew" your auger. This usually happens in heavy clay material.

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
On my Hyd unit, I think its like 60 RPM. They used to make the PTO type out of truck rear ends, so a 4:1 rear should drop 540 down to to 135 RPM, so that's my guess...:D:D

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
WOW, some of you guys actually put the engine up at well over 2000RPMs to dig a hole? :eek: That seems crazy dangerous. I always dig at an idle, never go down more than a foot at a time without raising about 6" to be sure the bit is clear.

So down 12", up 6", down 12" more, up 6". Do that 4 times and you are down 4'. Does not take long and you don't get the auger stuck. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm with MtnViewRanch, I dig most if not all my holes at an idle or just slightly above it. ;)

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Ditto on digging post holes at "idle or very slightly above idle" frequently raising auger up so it doesn't cork-screw into ground

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
first go around using my post hole digger I got it stuck in the hard pan we have about 3' down. stalled out my tractor. that sucked. got it out without having to dismantle the auger, but I'm a lot more careful on pulling the auger up more often.

I've also tried digging in the middle of summer when the ground is like concrete. The post hole digger picked the back of the tractor up and it tilted over onto one of the back wheels....scared the cr*p out of me.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
first go around using my post hole digger I got it stuck in the hard pan we have about 3' down. stalled out my tractor. that sucked. got it out without having to dismantle the auger, but I'm a lot more careful on pulling the auger up more often.

I've also tried digging in the middle of summer when the ground is like concrete. The post hole digger picked the back of the tractor up and it tilted over onto one of the back wheels....scared the cr*p out of me.
How is this even possible? What type of set up were you using???? :confused:

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I run mine just a hair over idel with the heavey Adobe we have here in Ca it works great. Just make sure you raise the auger every 8" to 12" you dig.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
It is possible. Just hook a buried root or rock, and the screw action drives the auger down, and the tractor up... :D:D
So your hyd auger has a telescoping system of some type? How can the auger go down into the ground and yet the tractor raises up. Things operate in 2 separate directions at the same exact time? :confused:

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
So your hyd auger has a telescoping system of some type? How can the auger go down into the ground and yet the tractor raises up. Things operate in 2 separate directions at the same exact time? :confused:
Front tires come up, fulcrums on the rear wheels as the auger screws into the ground.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Front tires come up, fulcrums on the rear wheels as the auger screws into the ground.
This is understandable, I have been referring to post #9

[quote ]I've also tried digging in the middle of summer when the ground is like concrete. The post hole digger picked the back of the tractor up and it tilted over onto one of the back wheels....scared the cr*p out of me."? [/quote]

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Not my hyd PHD, the op's 3 PH model. I have used both types. I prefer the hyd model, flip a switch, unstick the auger, plus its easier to connect...:D:D