Sep 27, 2015
Central FL

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mike, sometimes fences serve more then one purpose. These folk's focus was on appearance from the road, over critters pushing from the inside. With the boards screwed to RR ties very few animals will challenge it.

The post being on the inside make a cleaner appearance with all the boards forming a ribbon effect.

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
Thanks for all the links showing the types of fencing & the US terms for them now I understand what your saying far more. Over here in UK we don't use the T posts that you use in the US, although I have no idea why as looking at the fences they look to be a great way of erecting agricultural type fences. Your rail road fencing is the same as our post & rail fencing although we usually erect that type of fence using 4"x5" with the rails being out of 2"x4" generally in 10' or 12' lengths. We usually erecting these with 3 rails but can be more or less depending on the specification of the materials etc. this type of fence would ussualy be for agricultural purposes or along drives/ tracks etc leading to a property etc.
obviously we use various types of wire including barbed wire, stock netting (3"/4" squares 3'/4' high) rabbit netting etc (small 1" holes in the netting to keep rabbits & other pests out.
Generally over here we use your rail road fencing (railway sleepers) for gate/corner posts or for soil retention etc on steep slopes etc.
now I understand more of what's being said I can follow the conversation much more. Thanks guys Stu

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Not a problem Stu, love to help.

The T posts are an inexpensive way to run fencing around large ranches and such. I doubt England has many of those left. Here there are still Ranches/Farms passing 10,000 acres. You can't fence in ranges of those sizes with standard/beauty fencing unless you have a major tech company in your back pocket! :D

I'm surprised you can't find T posts there, like you said, they are all over the place here. I'd think China would be trying to push them all over the planet.

A fairly common alternative these days is the simple thin wall galvanized steel pipe just driven into the ground. They last okay and are easy to put in. You can then use wire, boards, chain link, or slip covers and panels... lots of options. So it's pretty popular.