Pop up adds

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For the past couple days when I click on a sub forum, a full size add for face book pops up and takes over the screen. I then have to exit out of the add before the sub forum will load up.

I understand the need for paying the bills. But that is extremely annoying.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
For the past couple days when I click on a sub forum, a full size add for face book pops up and takes over the screen. I then have to exit out of the add before the sub forum will load up.

I understand the need for paying the bills. But that is extremely annoying.
I was fixing to post about this as well. Started a few days ago.

CBD545DF-CB24-4195-B21D-AB9ABE2CD3DC.png

This is an example.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Blame Google Ads and the forums administrators for monetizing the forums. Just like every time you watch a Youtube video, the producer of the video gets a few cents, which eventually mounts up to real dollars. Same with these ads, and should you accidently click on them, the forums administrators get a "commission". I am not saying that this is bad or evil, just very annoying. I am on some other websites that don't have Google advertising, and they are a lot more pleasant to use. I also noticed that TBN is also using Google ads. I guess it is the way of the future. I know that another tractor forum doesn't use any advertising, but relies on donations to keep the website afloat.
Today I downloaded a "free ad blocker", and it was worse than the ads themselves, with the way that the adblocker was promoting their products for sale.
If I use the browser call "Brave", it blocks all the ads, and it is the better way to browse the internet, IMHO.
PS... While typing this while using Google Chrome, I switched to Brave, and no more ads... Guess that is one way to avoid annoying ads.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A caching SSL proxy works wonders. Google spamware/spyware is so invasive that the proxy can even break email and search.

Google is the number one source of viruses and trojans on the internet for a reason!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Blame Google Ads and the forums administrators for monetizing the forums. Just like every time you watch a Youtube video, the producer of the video gets a few cents, which eventually mounts up to real dollars. Same with these ads, and should you accidently click on them, the forums administrators get a "commission". I am not saying that this is bad or evil, just very annoying. I am on some other websites that don't have Google advertising, and they are a lot more pleasant to use. I also noticed that TBN is also using Google ads. I guess it is the way of the future. I know that another tractor forum doesn't use any advertising, but relies on donations to keep the website afloat.
Today I downloaded a "free ad blocker", and it was worse than the ads themselves, with the way that the adblocker was promoting their products for sale.
If I use the browser call "Brave", it blocks all the ads, and it is the better way to browse the internet, IMHO.
PS... While typing this while using Google Chrome, I switched to Brave, and no more ads... Guess that is one way to avoid annoying ads.
So you are saying that you want the forum administrators to pay out of their own pockets to run this site so you can look at it for free? Orange Tractor Talks does not charge to use their site, although you can pay to become a supporting member which reduces the add content, but they still have costs to run this site. If you don’t want the adds, pay the nominal fee to become a supporting member and/or download Add Block Plus.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
So you are saying that you want the forum administrators to pay out of their own pockets to run this site so you can look at it for free? Orange Tractor Talks does not charge to use their site, although you can pay to become a supporting member which reduces the add content, but they still have costs to run this site. If you don’t want the adds, pay the nominal fee to become a supporting member and/or download Add Block Plus.
I never said that, and it is highly unsanitary for you to put those words in my mouth. Running a forum today isn't as expensive as most would have you think. The most expensive part of the is paying for bandwidth, and that isn't really that expensive. The cost of software is fixed, and once you purchase it, then you own it for life, unless you want yearly updates. The purchase cost is $160 for 12 months, and $55 if you want support beyond the 1 year. Once it is set up, there is very little time necessary to running a forum, except for moderation, which on this forum is done by volunteers. Lets be honest, this forum is a for profit venture, and the owners are going to get as much profit out of it as they can. I don't begrudge them anything. As a forum administrator, you can regulate how many ads you want to allow, and at a certain point, the users will balk about the ads. This is what this thread is about. Anyone is free to create a new forum, but getting the members is the difficult part. When a forum grows, it is the members that grow the forum, not the owners and / or the administrators. I know this because I am involved with forum development, and I even offered my services free to these forums when they were VBulletin based, and were having random issues. My offer wasn't accepted, and eventually they switched to XenForo software, which is far superior to the old software. The goal of every forum operator is to have a steady revenue stream, and how they get that revenue is ultimately their decision. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, I am merely explaining why the advertising. It is a balancing act that has to balance income with user activity. When you have too many ads, you loose user activity, and ultimately loose the income stream as a result. If no one is looking at the ads, then you don't get paid for the advertising. Knowing this, I routinely click on advertising to support these forums. As with any business activity, you need to know your customers, as well as your market.

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I don't begrudge the forum operators for trying to make a few bucks. I totally understand the ads. (Although I can't stand the ear-wax ones)

But the interstitials (that's what those are called BTW) are a bit much. You have to dismiss the ad before it will move on to the next page. Intrusive ads are what get people to install ad blockers - it's counterproductive.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thought it was just me. Both laptop and iPhone.

Installed Ad Block Plus on both....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks, Mr. K.

I just had a chuckle....

Daren is a young guy...Facebook ad....makes sense.

Fordtech is a Ford Tech....Car Hauler ad...makes sense.

I got an ad for those gutter systems so old people don't have to climb ladders....

Makes sense....But geez, do they have to kick me in the teeth with it?!?!?!:rolleyes::geek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks, Mr. K.

I just had a chuckle....

Daren is a young guy...Facebook ad....makes sense.

Fordtech is a Ford Tech....Car Hauler ad...makes sense.

I got an ad for those gutter systems so old people don't have to climb ladders....

Makes sense....But geez, do they have to kick me in the teeth with it?!?!?!:rolleyes::geek:
The really funny thing. I can't stand face book and a have a really strong negative opinion about that site. 😉😉😉

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
The really funny thing. I can't stand face book and a have a really strong negative opinion about that site. 😉😉😉
Maybe they figure it they hit you with enough advertising you'll change your mind.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Same here...good choice.

Amazing what people put on FB...my wife is into it big time.

I have an account, but only because kids set it up years ago. I look at it once a year or so.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We got an over zealous add that is frustrating as the dickens.

Darn thing keeps popping up when trying to reply to a thread and taking up the area your typing in. As seen by the blue marker in the screen shot. 🤬🤬 blue marker is the reply box.

Screenshot_20220216-084359_Samsung Internet.jpg