Pointless Upgrade?

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I went from a B2601 to an L3302 this spring. Big difference in loader and grapple work. It does everything so much easier and more stable. I need to move 26 tons of gravel this fall a decent distance and it will be much better with the L. With todays market you will do well on your 2601 and it will soften the blow of the L. I would consider the 3302 if you do any mowing. The extra HP made a ton of difference with my brush and finish mowers.

I was able to keep the same grapple in the move so I didn't have to buy it again. Only had to upgrade my quick hitch to the large size. Dealer matched the connections on the grapple at no cost for me.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I have a B2601 with R14 tires. I have had that thing maxed out. I had a pallet with 960 lbs (plus 200 lb forks) on it of rubber mulch for my kids playset, so lots of weight far out, and a couple inches off the ground. The tires didn’t care. The turf tires are really squishy. Try the R14s if that’s your only concern. They do fine on grass, but provide a stiffer sidewall and better traction in dirt.

I was moving some large rocks a couple weeks ago. The loader was completely maxed out. Had to curl and do all sorts of tricks to get the loader up enough off the ground to move safely. Again, tires barely had an squat in them.

Unless you’re just looking for a reason to upgrade. If that’s the case, I agree with the others, go for the MX. Stuff like that is how I convinced my wife to let me sell my BX and get the B.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Thank you for the replies. I agree having forks which flipped up would be nice for storage purposes, and if they fit most standard pallets I wouldn't be too concerned if they weren't adjustable since my front forks are. Would be nice to have a carryall ready which I could hook up to the rear forks when needed.

Good to know about the difference mowing between the 2501 and 3302.

Yes, the turf tires do like to squish. Mine squish very noticeably while doing heavy front end work (yes I check my tire pressure before venturing out).

I agree I would do pretty well with the reselling of the B. I just need to find a good financing deal (if I go the upgrade route which I think you be best in the long run) I just need to make sure I get a low monthly payment, to keep a certain someone at home happy.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Thank you for the replies. I agree having forks which flipped up would be nice for storage purposes, and if they fit most standard pallets I wouldn't be too concerned if they weren't adjustable since my front forks are. Would be nice to have a carryall ready which I could hook up to the rear forks when needed.

Good to know about the difference mowing between the 2501 and 3302.

Yes, the turf tires do like to squish. Mine squish very noticeably while doing heavy front end work (yes I check my tire pressure before venturing out).

I agree I would do pretty well with the reselling of the B. I just need to find a good financing deal (if I go the upgrade route which I think you be best in the long run) I just need to make sure I get a low monthly payment, to keep a certain someone at home happy.
Kubota is still doing 0% for 48 months or .99% for 60, and 1.99% for 72. Very low considering the current loan rates.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Kubota is still doing 0% for 48 months or .99% for 60, and 1.99% for 72. Very low considering the current loan rates.
Very true. Guess I just got spoiled when I was lucky enough to get 0% for 84.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Seems like you do about the same work with you B that I do with mine. I do have a few thoughts. Keep in mind the area your working in. I can get into places with my B that I can't get into with my dads L series. Which in my case means a lot.
Truthfully your not getting that much more tractor just going to the L2501. Not enough to justify years of payments. I'd personally jump up to a mx if space wasn't an issue. I've ran my old man's L quite extensively and can't say I'd favor it over my B enough for me to go buy an L over an mx.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I am not saying this sarcastically (I know it's hard to read posts/emails)

I must be the only tractor owner in history who feels like they bought the "right sized" machine !
Story after story about the tractor not being big or tough enough. (not too many downsizing stories)

Of course, I am not doing all the tree, moving super heavy stuff and/or excavation work the majority of you folks seem to be doing either. (weekend warrior class springs to mind, lol)

Mowing, blowing and the odd lift or haul of something with the bucket or forks. My BX2380 seems to be just perfect for me in every way. In fact, in my own case, it CANNOT be any bigger or have wider implements because the size of my garage, width of paths etc. would not permit it.

I did brew on my purchase for nearly 17yrs however, so there is that.........That TG1860 always wanted a brother ! ;-)

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Seems like you do about the same work with you B that I do with mine. I do have a few thoughts. Keep in mind the area your working in. I can get into places with my B that I can't get into with my dads L series. Which in my case means a lot.
Truthfully your not getting that much more tractor just going to the L2501. Not enough to justify years of payments. I'd personally jump up to a mx if space wasn't an issue. I've ran my old man's L quite extensively and can't say I'd favor it over my B enough for me to go buy an L over an mx.
Like you an L would be tight working around the house. Out where I have cleared for the tree/firewood work it would not be a problem. An MX on the other hand would not allow me to do really anything around the house I think with it being so tight in certain spots.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I am not saying this sarcastically (I know it's hard to read posts/emails)

I must be the only tractor owner in history who feels like they bought the "right sized" machine !
Story after story about the tractor not being big or tough enough. (not too many downsizing stories)

Of course, I am not doing all the tree, moving super heavy stuff and/or excavation work the majority of you folks seem to be doing either. (weekend warrior class springs to mind, lol)

Mowing, blowing and the odd lift or haul of something with the bucket or forks. My BX2380 seems to be just perfect for me in every way. In fact, in my own case, it CANNOT be any bigger or have wider implements because the size of my garage, width of paths etc. would not permit it.

I did brew on my purchase for nearly 17yrs however, so there is that.........That TG1860 always wanted a brother ! ;-)
Didn't take it that way at all. My friend was talking me into a BX23S when I first started this journey and one of Neil's videos put that to bed. All this tree work/firewood processing kind of fell in my lap and was too good to turn down. Along with all the other projects and work I have discovered at my new property. I wish I knew this forum existed before I jumped into the tractor world.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I watched Neils vids for maybe a year before making my purchase. Lotsa good info there.
In the end I bought the equivalent of "a really comfy driving snowblower" that also mowed lawns.
Unlike most here, snowblowing is my #1 task for the BX. (I usually mow with the TG)
I waited almost a year to buy my FEL and forks.

I was just tired of snowblowing a 225' driveway by hand....and by gosh do we get snow where I am ! ! !

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Didn't take it that way at all. My friend was talking me into a BX23S when I first started this journey and one of Neil's videos put that to bed. All this tree work/firewood processing kind of fell in my lap and was too good to turn down. Along with all the other projects and work I have discovered at my new property. I wish I knew this forum existed before I jumped into the tractor world.
How much firewood per year? I like the fact that my 'grand' L can move the full totes, but in your situation if I had lots of space and could just fill up more totes 3/4 full that would be better than paying for an upgrade. There are times (in the trees) that I'd like a little smaller tractor (my dad and brother both have older JD 790s which are very nimble compared to mine). I went with the larger L since I already had some CAT II implements and wider CAT I implements and didn't want to have to rebuy all of those. I really like the fact that I can lift full totes and overall I'm glad I got the size I did. Recent windstorms have me wiggling it into the shelterbelt to retrieve downed trees and I'm having to clear a little more than I would like, but life is full of compromises. It's also bigger than I could easily trailer, which isn't an issue for me at this point.

Speaking of compromises, the rear forks I got are something like these. I bent them where the pin for the 3-pt attaches, but may have been picking up something too heavy before doing the wood and not noticed the bend until the end of the day. My neighbor/new best friend helped me weld a gusset to brace this part and I think we're good to go. I really expected the bottom to twist from looking at the picture, but that seems to have held up ok (for the few hours I used it). They do not adjust in as far as I might like, but seem to work for regular pallets and the wide side of a tote (just barely). They do not fold for storage, but there's usually a pallet or tote around I can store them under. bentThreePointLinkage.png

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Around 3.5 to 4 cords per year but that was with some mild winters at the new house. So far I have 15 totes filled over the top rail, a pallet rack with about a cord, and three free stacked cords here and there. Just got the totes this year and boy they make life WAY easier. Being able to cut, split, stack the wood in the totes, and then move them to the drying location is such a time saver and back saver.
Plan was to try and use them exclusively as I acquired more but I dont see that happening at this point because I would need a lot more of them. My friend plans on dropping off around 5+ cords worth of logs once we have a drier day and I need to take down a few more trees closer to the house this winter. Luckily I have space to process but may be running low on space to dry with the good sun soon.

* sorry messed this one up somehow

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
...Luckily I have space to process but may be running low on space to dry with the good sun soon.
Well, a bigger tractor (and a counterweight) would let you stack them at least two high. Here we have enough wind that they don't need to be in direct sunlight (assuming a year to dry).

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Well, a bigger tractor (and a counterweight) would let you stack them at least two high. Here we have enough wind that they don't need to be in direct sunlight (assuming a year to dry).
Which model would allow me to stack them two high? I am asking because I truly don't have any idea and want to weigh my options very carefully this time around.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Which model would allow me to stack them two high? I am asking because I truly don't have any idea and want to weigh my options very carefully this time around.

I could stack them two high with my L5740. I can't quite do that in my shed (roof too low) and there's no reason for me to do it outside, but it can lift a full tote that high. I guess I would first verify my previous numbers (full 275g tote = 1250# for wet ash, 1500# for oak) then go to tractordata.com and check out the loader that comes with a particular tractor.

Mine sports an "LA 854" loader which can supposedly lift 1878 pounds to 9-10 feet (no way I'd have the nerve to triple stack them!). I have used the firewood bags* which are lifted from the top and hold a little more and I can lift them 8 or so feet up and travel with them, so I believe that number.

That said, it would be hard (for me) to justify an upgrade if you have a system that pretty much works for you.

*totes are much better IMO, even if I can reuse the bags, which is TBD

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I could stack them two high with my L5740. I can't quite do that in my shed (roof too low) and there's no reason for me to do it outside, but it can lift a full tote that high. I guess I would first verify my previous numbers (full 275g tote = 1250# for wet ash, 1500# for oak) then go to tractordata.com and check out the loader that comes with a particular tractor.

Mine sports an "LA 854" loader which can supposedly lift 1878 pounds to 9-10 feet (no way I'd have the nerve to triple stack them!). I have used the firewood bags* which are lifted from the top and hold a little more and I can lift them 8 or so feet up and travel with them, so I believe that number.

That said, it would be hard (for me) to justify an upgrade if you have a system that pretty much works for you.

*totes are much better IMO, even if I can reuse the bags, which is TBD
Thank you! Yea, that would be a big upgrade for me. Totes are the best but I dont think i could swing getting into that big of a tractor to be able to stack them two high. I will check the specs like you said and explore a little bit cause it never hurts to be informed.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Looking at the same source and the tractor you have now, if you got some rear forks you could move full totes around on the ground and with a counter weight (e.g. a full tote on the back) you could stack a half-full tote on top of the full ones. Of course, it's one thing stacking them on a calm summer day and a whole 'nuther thing unstacking them on icy ground in a blizzard...

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Hard to say, but the MX has more height and can lift what you want to full height. The Grand L with upgraded loader will be close to the same.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Looking at the same source and the tractor you have now, if you got some rear forks you could move full totes around on the ground and with a counter weight (e.g. a full tote on the back) you could stack a half-full tote on top of the full ones. Of course, it's one thing stacking them on a calm summer day and a whole 'nuther thing unstacking them on icy ground in a blizzard...
Very true about no fun during a blizzard. Good thought about using one on the rear as ballast to stack a 1/2 tote on top of another.