Piranha Bar or ?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I'm thinking about adding a Piranha Bar to my BX.
This would be used mostly for clearing brush - not so much for digging.

BXpanded sells the Piranha bar (are they the manufacturer?). It looks like a sturdy piece.

Are there any other manufacturers (toothed bars) I should be looking at?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

BXpanded sells the Piranha bar (are they the manufacturer?). It looks like a sturdy piece.

Pound for pound - you will not find a better ground cutting or brush cutting bar. It will cut soil 3 times faster than the blade itself. AND as for endurance - it will be there when the tractor is worn out! :D:)

I love mine and along with spacers, some of the best money spent!

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I bought a Piranha tooth bar this spring and didn't take it off at all this summer. Dug small trees out, raked dirt, ( love it for that ) dug holes, loaded scrap iron, rocks, and fire wood.
It sticks out past the factory cutting edge a few inches but it seems like it makes the bucket much deeper. Still looks like new other then some of the paint is missing. Built heavier then I would have thought it would be.
Everyone that sees it comments about how tough it looks. Seems like a lot of $ but worth of penny.
After a summers worth of work.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Thanks for your feedback. Piranha bar ordered!

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI

I have a brand new one I could sell, I bought thinking i would use it, but my ground is soft enough I never needed to install it.

scottz

Equipment
1988 L2550DT-GST 2001 BX2200D HST 2016 L2501 HST
Nov 27, 2015
Colorado
I have a brand new one I could sell, I bought thinking i would use it, but my ground is soft enough I never needed to install it.
What model/length is it? Do you weld these on?

cstone

Equipment
BX2370
Apr 19, 2015
Durango, CO
I have used the Piranha Bar for 8 months and it is great. I added the R2 Edge Tamer for snow removal and it fit over the Piranha Bar with no problem. So the bar can stay on all the time.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
What model/length is it? Do you weld these on?
They come in various lengths depending on what bucket you have. For the BX the bar is 48" (EDIT: The Bucket is 48", the Piranha bar is shorter as it fits in the bucket). It is bolt on. If you look closely at picture a few post up, up you can see that the bar fits over the front edge of the bucket and uses two bolts to retain it. it is the bolts and the "fingers" that fit above and below the bucket edge that hold the bar in place. Not welded.

Last edited:

wchp12

Equipment
B2650, Landpride 60" RFM, CoutryLife 12" Post Hole Digger, Kubota BB60
Jun 22, 2015
Garnett Ks
Has anyone ever thought of using an old sickle bar mower bar for teeth instead? Dropping $300+ shipping just seems like a lot of $$, Does anyone have any ways to build a tooth bar cheaper?

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Has anyone ever thought of using an old sickle bar mower bar for teeth instead? Dropping $300+ shipping just seems like a lot of $$, Does anyone have any ways to build a tooth bar cheaper?
I spent a year looking for a better cheaper tooth bar and couldn't find one. My buddy has the other style with the big teeth (almost the same price) and every time I see his its laying in the dirt in the same place it was the last time I saw it. Mine didn't come off my bucket all summer and seems like its part of the bucket now.
I have a Plasma cutter, welders, cutting tools, all that fun stuff and enjoy building my own stuff but I just couldn't see how I could make a better tooth bar. Yes its a lot of $ and that was the other reason I put off buying one for a year but I am very happy with it and amazed how heavy duty it is. I wish I had a video of it digging out small trees this summer. That weekend worth of work was worth way more then $300
Plus the factory cutting edge will last forever if the piranha is taking the beating.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
wchp12, sections (the cutting triangle used in sickle mowers) are about 1/8" thick, hardened steel and made for cutting grass. You try to push a section in dirt it will break quickly.

When mowing, if you hit much of a growth, like a small red cedar tree, you'll soon be replacing sections.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree with everything alansz400 said.....

I have the tools, (maybe not the time) and knowledge to make one (toothbar) but for the cost and the quality of construction, even at $300 .....the time and performance level are unparalleled ! Some of the best money spent, after the first couple of uses...it paid for itself in time/energy saved.

I know full well I could not have done some of the work without it !;)