Pics from WNY Snowstorm & still snowing

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Round 2.... the neighbor got home before i could clear their drive, she just barreled in with he Jeep.
Big equipment was going by.... seen 4 different machines go by in the time i was out there.
Not as bad as this morning, but the sno thrower 1st stage was still clogging up.
It let up now.... the lake effect band moved off my area.
Beer time..!

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Beercan a nice touch ! ! ! !

Reactions: 1 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
The thing that the pics don't really relay is the silence that heavy snow brings on; it's a huge blanket that deadens lots of noise that naturally exists in the world. Of course, hundreds of snowblowers can make a lot of 'fill in' noise to keep things in perspective! :D

Reactions: 4 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I miss those big storms. I actually enjoyed them when I was younger. Loved to plow snow with the old plow truck.

Course if we got that much snow in one shot here in Arkansas, The only thing that would survive would be single cell organisms 😅🤣😅🤣😅👍😅🤣

Reactions: 2 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I miss those big storms. I actually enjoyed them when I was younger. Loved to plow snow with the old plow truck.

Course if we got that much snow in one shot here in Arkansas, The only thing that would survive would be single cell organisms 😅🤣😅🤣😅👍😅🤣
Those and the cockroaches....

Reactions: 3 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Please don’t take this personally Drifthopper, but better you than me! The thrill of moving snow left me decades ago.😉

Reactions: 2 users

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Please don’t take this personally Drifthopper, but better you than me! The thrill of moving snow left me decades ago.😉
All Cleared out.

Only about 6-8" from Friday to Saturday , snow blowed that off in the morning then sun came out for a bit.

The snow band was north of me, Niagara Falls was getting the snow .

But it moved back south last night, so i woke up to about another 4-5" this morning.

it was cold, like 25* , so things are starting to freeze up. Freezing up some of that slushy snow, making it easier to use the snow thrower. its 22* out there now.

So this morning, i went out and clearing my drive.
The wind picked up today, so lot of blowing snow, lot of snow blowing back on me from the snow thrower chute.
Came in. changed my clothes, then .....even thou there is still a driving band,,,,,, went to moms to clear her out. My kid shoveled there on Friday, but after Saturday's snow, there was a good 12-14" when i got there this afternoon.
Fired up dad's old snow thrower and after about an hr and half..... got her drive and sidewalks cleared off.

visited mom for a bit.... then my mother in law lives just about a 1/2 mile away.
So... off to her house.
Again..... My kid was there on Friday and shoveled , but i pulled up to the same.... 12-14" .

She has a snow thrower, started it up, got it done.

The biggest pain is where the snow plow plows the snow in the approach of the driveway.
the first pass to break thru to the street is the toughest.
Then yoou can skim away at it.

I didn't do the side walks at the MIL .... Neighbor has a plow service and they covered the side walks with a 5' bank of snow.

Gotta be to work at 6:00 in the morning.

The wind will be an issue. Even thou the lake effect snow has come to an end, the wind will blow the snow in across the driveways and sidewalks.

so..... i'll probably get out of work tomorrow, stop at moms on my way home, check on her, then stop at the mother in law, clear her out , then home.

They are calling for 40 - 45* on Thanksgiving, so that'll melt off the driveways and entrance ways for people coming for dinner.

For those seeing the pics on tv and national news..... some towns just south of me got 60 - 70" of snow...!!

Where i am at, i measured this morning 27 "

And..ya.... I got a couple snowmobiles, and i like snow.... but this was too much , too fast. Our snowmobile trails here in WNY don't open until January 2nd.... so it'll be awhile till we're able to enjoy it.

Reactions: 6 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
TY for the updates....That was an event the entire country was aware of and watching...You gave us a 'front row seat' with an angle unavailable to some others :)

JEEZ IT'S NOT EVEN THANKSGIVING YET! :oops:

Get your roof cleared as much as possible to take advantage of any upcoming warmup!

My brother used to clear snow commercially in Lake Tahoe, but finally gave it up as it was just overwhelming. He used a Honda snowblower to clear rooftops out there, weekly.

Reactions: 3 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
With snow like that, you need a Kansas snowblower (40 mph N wind).
^^^^^

Man.....I remember that (wind and snow). As a kid... we lived in Kansas for 6 yrs.

Wind driven snow could pile up in drifts over your head.

Our home had a panty/mud room that had a door that opened out and was North facing. Snow would pile up where you couldn't open it. Fortunately we could go in the basement door (also a 'Rec' room) and the stairs led up through the mud room.

Can't say I really miss the snow or tornadoes.

We get snow on occasion where I live now (Texas) but its never more than 8"-10" at most and usually only lasts a few days. But its enough to shut everything down. Folks here just can't cope with it.

meanwhile in texas.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
My county, Lewis Ny asked a neighboring snowmobile clubs Long Pond Sno Club to bring one of their Groomers out to a local town to help clear roads where some folks were stranded in their homes. They got the job done!

long pond.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My county, Lewis Ny asked a neighboring snowmobile clubs Long Pond Sno Club to bring one of their Groomers out to a local town to help clear roads where some folks were stranded in their homes. They got the job done!

View attachment 90972
That's a cool machine right there. We don't have snow where I am....and I want one.

Reactions: 1 user