Photos of tractors on angles

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I recently purchased a L3540 and it feel a lot more tipsy than my B2920 (for obvious reasons). I wouldnt call my property hilly but its definitly not flat.

I mow a ditch and have a few other angles. PLease post any photos of your tractor on an angle side to side. Not incline decline (although I would love to see them as well). I am just curious how far I can go before she tips over.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It's really what your pucker factor tolerance will allow. Never really a good idea to work side ways on a hill but if you use caution and its not an insanely stupid slope angle you should be ok.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Interesting request- I doubt that many will post photos, because of the obvious- when you are puckered up, you aren't thinking about grabbing the camera and snapping a photo. You are thinking lots of things you might not say in front of your mom.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Interesting request- I doubt that many will post photos, because of the obvious- when you are puckered up, you aren't thinking about grabbing the camera and snapping a photo. You are thinking lots of things you might not say in front of your mom.
I thought of this after I started the thread.

Lol, mom would definitely be disappointed in my vocabulary.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Really hard to distinguish the bad words what with all the screaming and crying...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Really hard to distinguish the bad words what with all the screaming and crying...
and considering the circumstance, it is excusable...

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
There are lots of comments and lots of good information on this topic. Do a search on tractor stability. Here's a good link as a start: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8886&highlight=tractor+stability.

I live on very hilly land. I have an L4240. I widened the rear tread to the maximum, filled the tires with Rimguard, and make a habit of keeping the FEL low to the ground and have a counter balance on the three point hitch. It all helps. My personal pucker factor goes exponential somewhere around 18 degrees.

I've also attached a picture of two tractors on tilt tables. You'll have to do your own translation.

Attachments

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Picture a triangle , from the 2 rear wheels to the front center of the hood. This is the actual balance points of your tractor. The reason being, the front axle pivots. The front wheels,tires don't supply any stability support untill the lower (downhill side)one is lifted 15 degrees, or the tractor starts to lift one of the rear tires off the ground, (variable between tractors). I have some very steep hills on my property and have turned over 1 tractor and allmost done it again several times. It is a very dangerous thing.

satchelh

Equipment
L2550DT
Feb 18, 2013
SW Ohio, USA
Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8F-Y2w_3eo
It appears to be a demonstration of how the ROPS works. I know they rolled the tractor intentionally, but it surprised me at how easy it was to do.

Upon further review, I found this clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qK0KyKg_m0

I don't know how others here feel, but this guy looks like an accident waiting to happen. He definitely has more nerve than I do. I particularly like the 3 wheel action while moving the felled tree. Does he not own a chainsaw?

Last edited:

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Bulldog,
It's funny, your picture looks safer than it actually is. Not only is it uneven, the ground is soft being next to water. That raise the stakes and pucker factor to an even higher level. I cut next to a pond and with my old b2920 it got a little hairy.

The new holland YouTube video is a course mt tract dealer provides that you must pass before purchasing a tractor. J/k.

Pushing down a tree with a tractor. Sorry to say but this is something I WOULD do but taking many variables into question first. Tree size, tree decay, will it be top heavy and come back, is it tied off at the top to prevent coming back on top of the operator. With proper leverage, size, decay and all this taken into consideration. It could actually be safer than a chainsaw. (my expericene only that is) I have cut several trees with decay and they can be tricky. However with that said. Don't bite off more than you van chew.

The rops video was nice to see. Especially with debates if rops will even protect you or not.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Also, I think the triangle method works perfect. The only downside is picturing a triangle whilc sitting on the machine.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It is NEVER a bright idea to push trees over with a tractor and fel. You can not always spot decay and rot. The outside of the tree and bark can look healthy but the mintue any pressure is applied or a chain saw cuts in. A decaying tree can explode and come back ontop of you. Its best to limb the tree and get ride of much weight as possible before you push over or cut down.

From time to time I work for a friend of mine who has his own tree business and I can't count the number of times we misjudeged a tree and thought it was a little more solid then it is and got a big surprise when its starts to crack and shatter.

If you feel the need to drop your own tree in the middle of a field cut a notch in the truck kinda like this > and let it come over. Make sure you have a way out and nothing is there to trip you up.

I'm 6ft4 318lbs and ususally the first guy in the crew at the other end of the yard when a tree starts to go whever it wants too.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
100% agree. An exit route is a must!! I have ran a few timesmwhen i "thought" something was moving. Never to safe. I have quite a few decayed trees. Limbing is not an option. There are no limbs. Looks like a bunch of telephone poles. I actually walked out back month ago and leaned on a tree. I literally moved it. I looked at the base and it wasn't connected. (this is not a Tree inwould push over with tractor but in turn drag down with a LONG chain). It's still out there. I should take a phot at add it to this post. It's almost not believable. The tree top is being supported by an alive tree next to it. In would of pushed it over but I was with my dog. I has the feet my dog would run and stand in the only 8" where she shouldn't be.

The ash bore did some serious damage to a number of trees. Very sad.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Couple of gallons of diesel fuel and a few good matches and you'll have a pretty glowing totem pole for the evening LOL

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Ha ha, a few adult beverages and that may be the case. However if one tree goes up, they may all go up. No more trees to bring down :-(

But it would make for a fun night and a fine from my local authority

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
But it would make for a fun night and a fine from my local authority

A can of baked beans and a few hotdog's and your cooking dinner for the night...