Photo's of Specialty Repairs

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I get a lot of guys asking to see a video or photo's of our shop so I decided to take a few this morning and post them. It's not a large shop but it's busy and designed in such a way that everything I need is close by. I apologize if it looks a little untidy, I usually clean shop when it do slow down but it hasn't really slowed down yet.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've said it before and I'm sayin it again, man you pack a helluva punch in suck a small space! I dont see how you do it without tripping over the tools in the shop!!

Wildfire

Equipment
I've said it before and I'm sayin it again, man you pack a helluva punch in suck a small space! I dont see how you do it without tripping over the tools in the shop!!
Well I'm coming up on 17 years with no serious injuries and no sick days at all. I think of the shop as "organized Chaos". I know where every tool is at all times and the shop runs very efficient. You'll notice in one of the photos that there is two tool boxes. The larger box is the main tool box while the other one is responsible for lathe and milling machine tooling.

All welding equipment is in one area and there are two vehicle hoists. The main hoist is the one at the large door but there is another new hoist on the other side but you'll notice a motorcycle ramp and the ironworker is there. If I need to use that hoist the bike ramp can be pulled outside and the ironworker can be moved quickly with the forklift.

The shop doors are all on remotes. I can open either one from down by the road and by the time I get to the shop the door is completely open. The shop is very easy to heat as well. Works for me lol.

kcservak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2250 with backhoe 72" finish mower and front dirt blade.
Sep 25, 2011
poughkeepsie ny
Well I'm coming up on 17 years with no serious injuries and no sick days at all. I think of the shop as "organized Chaos". I know where every tool is at all times and the shop runs very efficient. You'll notice in one of the photos that there is two tool boxes. The larger box is the main tool box while the other one is responsible for lathe and milling machine tooling.

All welding equipment is in one area and there are two vehicle hoists. The main hoist is the one at the large door but there is another new hoist on the other side but you'll notice a motorcycle ramp and the ironworker is there. If I need to use that hoist the bike ramp can be pulled outside and the ironworker can be moved quickly with the forklift.

The shop doors are all on remotes. I can open either one from down by the road and by the time I get to the shop the door is completely open. The shop is very easy to heat as well. Works for me lol.
Pual you have a great shop and we all know its not the shop but the man running it that makes the difference and from your work on here i have seen on this and other site you definitely make the shop not the other way around.
Keith.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Have you ever thought about moving the business into a bigger building, or hireing an employee to help the work flow?

Wildfire

Equipment
Pual you have a great shop and we all know its not the shop but the man running it that makes the difference and from your work on here i have seen on this and other site you definitely make the shop not the other way around.
Keith.
Thanks Keith. As you would know this is not an easy business we're in. It's either feast or famine. I live in an area were there's an auto repair shop ever 1/4 mile and in a low populated area so that's why I've went outside the auto repair business and got into other lines of work her at the shop. More specialized work.

We still have some slow times but not often. As it is now I like the size of the shop. I don't own a dime on it or anything in it so that gives me all the room I need. ;)

Have you ever thought about moving the business into a bigger building, or hireing an employee to help the work flow?
No not really. I like where I am. Having the shop close to my home gives me the ability to do my own thing after work like the collection I've restored. I enjoy doing that sort of thing.

When I started this business I tried a couple of employees. That was a time when all I did was vehicle repairs and those guys made me realize that IF I was going to remain in business I better get them out of here. They didn't care about quality or wanting to keep the customer happy. All they were interested in was a pay chaque at the end of the week.

Right now Newfoundland is booming with oil off our shores. You can see the population growing almost weekly. I've turned down countless offers to work for other oil related companies and the day may come when I will accept an offer so that's why I keep my business the size it's at. If I close the doors here I'll still have a nice hobby shop. ;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Thanks Keith. As you would know this is not an easy business we're in. It's either feast or famine. I live in an area were there's an auto repair shop ever 1/4 mile and in a low populated area so that's why I've went outside the auto repair business and got into other lines of work her at the shop. More specialized work.

We still have some slow times but not often. As it is now I like the size of the shop. I don't own a dime on it or anything in it so that gives me all the room I need. ;)

No not really. I like where I am. Having the shop close to my home gives me the ability to do my own thing after work like the collection I've restored. I enjoy doing that sort of thing.

When I started this business I tried a couple of employees. That was a time when all I did was vehicle repairs and those guys made me realize that IF I was going to remain in business I better get them out of here. They didn't care about quality or wanting to keep the customer happy. All they were interested in was a pay chaque at the end of the week.

Right now Newfoundland is booming with oil off our shores. You can see the population growing almost weekly. I've turned down countless offers to work for other oil related companies and the day may come when I will accept an offer so that's why I keep my business the size it's at. If I close the doors here I'll still have a nice hobby shop. ;)

I think that you are being smart- it is a pretty big jump from a small, one or two (trusted) man operation with a good niche to a larger shop with multiple employees. You lose an edge- control, creative freedom, and dependability.

Wildfire

Equipment
I think that you are being smart- it is a pretty big jump from a small, one or two (trusted) man operation with a good niche to a larger shop with multiple employees. You lose an edge- control, creative freedom, and dependability.

I got it figured out this way because just before I started this business I worked as a service manager at a General Motors dealership. I was responsible for 25 people that didnt care about anything only getting paid. Part of my job was to defend these people when an unhappy customer would come in the shop after picking up there vehicle. It wasnt a pleasant experience for me and especially the customer. We could never turn a profit until I said enough was enough and made some major changes to the way we did things in the shop but that caused problems with the people in the service department. It was a never ending battle so I quit and started Specialty Repairs. I didnt want a repeat of what happened at GM so that's why I run my business as it is today. Thanks for commenting. ;)

I want to come and work there.

I've been 'screeched' already and can sing all the words to "Iz the By" and have freinds that can put me up near the 'eeed-uv-da-by'.

Wildfire-Specialty Repair is without a doubt the nicest, most organized, efficient use of space, thoughtfully laid out and well planned shop I've ever seen.

You are my hero.

I could eat maple sugar off that rim clamp machine. I want to cry now.
Well my friend you may as well come on over. You already got all the necessary requirements taken care of to be a full fledged Newfie. :D.

Thanks for your kind words on the shop. It's been a little more organized than it is right now but we're just coming out of a very busy season so it's now time to reorganize and then get ready for the winter service and tire change rush.

Oh by the way. If anyone wants to come and live in Newfoundland you might want to pick up a Newfie dictionary. You can start here:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=CA#/watch?v=gEfcx5cFajM

kcservak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2250 with backhoe 72" finish mower and front dirt blade.
Sep 25, 2011
poughkeepsie ny

Yes pual I could not agree more and as with you I own my shop and it contents and lately I have found more people fixing there old cars instead of buying new which I like keeps me very busy I would like to do more fabricating ad machining than I do because that what I love to do but as you know we have to do what pays the bill at east thats what the boss tells me and SHE is always right.

Wildfire

Equipment
Yes pual I could not agree more and as with you I own my shop and it contents and lately I have found more people fixing there old cars instead of buying new which I like keeps me very busy I would like to do more fabricating ad machining than I do because that what I love to do but as you know we have to do what pays the bill at east thats what the boss tells me and SHE is always right.
Up here the economy is going full out. Everyone is making good money and that means more new cars on our roads but there's still allot of service work to to do for us as well. We all have to listen to our boss's :rolleyes:
Today I did some machining, welding and vehicle repairs. It wasn't a boring day ;)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
100 percent agree about the employee problems. Number one reason I sold my business and started one by myself aat home.
One request, resize your pictures before posting. They are so big I have to constantly move the space bar side to side to read your comments.

Wildfire

Equipment
the post you have posted is really nice.please keep on such as nice sharing.Thankyou

Thank you very much and welcome to the site. :)

One request, resize your pictures before posting. They are so big I have to constantly move the space bar side to side to read your comments.
To tell the truth I already resized them. It's easier to move your space bar than it is to resize all the pictures :rolleyes: :D

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...One request, resize your pictures before posting. They are so big I have to constantly move the space bar side to side to read your comments.
Maybe you change from 640x480 to 1920x1200 as the rest of us did, to follow wildfire's pictures... ;)

carl

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
Paul , Well done on being TBN's member of the month . You deserve
the title and the award for the best one-man ( and his wife :) shop )
I've ever seen on a forum . You have just about every piece of equipment
I could think you'd ever need , short of an aeroplane component X-ray
setup ! Neil.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Paul , Well done on being TBN's member of the month ....
Wow. Congratulations also from me. If other people who are also working with their hands nominat and vote for you its a real honor!

Good luck for the future and many tricky problems you will be proud to have solved them! :D

der carl

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul , Well done on being TBN's member of the month . You deserve
the title and the award for the best one-man ( and his wife :) shop )
I've ever seen on a forum . You have just about every piece of equipment
I could think you'd ever need , short of an aeroplane component X-ray
setup ! Neil.
Thanks Neil for your kind words. Even showed your comments and she said thanks as well and said " Wow. That was sure nice of him to say that".

It was a nice honor to get voted member of the month over at TBN. Don't quite know how it happens but I think someone has to nominate you so if that's the case it was nice of them to do so :)
Yes your right about the tools. Sometimes I think of myself as a tool hoarder :D
Thanks again my friend and stay well down there.

Wow. Congratulations also from me. If other people who are also working with their hands nominat and vote for you its a real honor!

Good luck for the future and many tricky problems you will be proud to have solved them! :D

der carl
Thanks Carl. Yes it was a pleasant surprise. This month will mark the start of our 17th year in business and it sure went fast :eek:

Right now I got three very tricky jobs in the shop and I'm about to pull all my hair out ;)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/member-of-the-month/member-of-the-month-4shorts/

Last edited:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I almost fell off my chair when the question was asked "What mods have you made?" Love your responce 3 pages or do a search.

Congrats :D