Paralysis by analysis - Buying decision needs wise input!

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
There is lots of great advice here, figure out what you could rent a tractor for, keep it for a day or two and run it hard, the right tractor for the job makes life easier, having somebody come in with their equipment is definitely more expensive in my area. If I am going to run a piece of equipment hard, I want it to belong to a rental yard, yes there is a learning curve, but it will make great memories with the Boys. And in the end, you will have a much better idea what is the best tractor for your unique property and goals.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm seeing a number of older M series tractors without loaders. Is it possible to add one to these models without them? Also, found a used auction M6060F (no loader) but can't find out what the F designates.
Loaders are very hard to find second hand - if someone has a loader on their tractor they're very unlikely to sell it. You may find one on a wrecked tractor. You can get after market loaders that are more generic. They're OK, not as good as the OEM, but could save some money that way. After market or OEM, a new loader on an old tractor makes little sense. They're expensive, and at the end of it you've still got an old tractor with a loader - you won't get back the money you put in.

It's a pain to wait, but long term it's by far the best way. An old tractor with an old loader will be way cheaper than an old tractor that you add a new loader too.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I'm seeing a number of older M series tractors without loaders. Is it possible to add one to these models without them? Also, found a used auction M6060F (no loader) but can't find out what the F designates.
Don't pass up a good tractor because it doesn't have a loader. Do some research and see who makes loaders. Again, I would not advise a loader on a 2wd tractor. The front axles are stronger on a 4WD machine

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Lol I'm running 120 acres hobby farm and bush/forest using only my "little" B2650 HSD and various attachments/implements.
But I'm in no rush, retired, not starting a business (just wrapped my construction contractor business 3 years ago) and the trees top out at around 2 1/2 ft max at stump.
I DO appreciate t how relatively light my tractor is, no getting stuck to the axle, easy pull on a car hauler trailer, no emission controls and great fuel economy with the 26hp 3cyl, 1/2 the price of those 40-60 hp beasties.
It gets it done admirably. Just not as fast.

Last edited:

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
FEL lift capacity would seem important
(quick internet search):
L-Series: 1200 lbs
L-4701: 1400 lbs
MX5400 & MX6000: 2310 lbs.
M6060 & 7060: 3307 lbs
How heavy is the stuff you need to lift?
Pretty sure the 4701 is 1684lbs at pins, 1263 500mm forward. Standard L is 1131/855 (max height)

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Don't pass up a good tractor because it doesn't have a loader. Do some research and see who makes loaders. Again, I would not advise a loader on a 2wd tractor. The front axles are stronger on a 4WD machine
I hear your opinion, but I disagree with it.
Adding an aftermarket loader is frequently a bastardization situation.
Finding a good used OEM loader to fit a specific tractor, is like searching for hen's teeth.

WaltWestbrook

Equipment
Honda Rancher, Swisher brush hog, teen age boys.
Nov 28, 2022
Rhea County, TN
Excellent commentary. Thank you.
Buy a tractor with loader, 4wd (given)...got it. The M6060, or perhaps one of the Mx series seems to be the right direction. I've got searches on all the auction sites, etc. and I'll report back as I go.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Excellent commentary. Thank you.
Buy a tractor with loader, 4wd (given)...got it. The M6060, or perhaps one of the Mx series seems to be the right direction. I've got searches on all the auction sites, etc. and I'll report back as I go.
Here's an M6060 near Savannah on tractorhouse
Screenshot_20221203-182918-960.png

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I hear your opinion, but I disagree with it.
Adding an aftermarket loader is frequently a bastardization situation.
Finding a good used OEM loader to fit a specific tractor, is like searching for hen's teeth.
Nothing I said should be construed as buying a "used loader". Most aftermarket loader manufacturers make the attachment hardware for many models so there is no "bastardization" involved. Who do you think makes the loaders for the OEM's ?.

When I bought my '82 Ford 4610 in 1999, I bought a new EZee ON loader with the mounting system that was designed for it and installed it myself. When I bought my NH TD95D it had a NH labeled loader that was made by Quicke who made all the NH loaders at that time. Maybe they still do.

Naturally, if you can find a tractor with a loader on it all ready and the tractor AND the loader is in good shape( no bent up welded over bucket or cracked frames, leaky cylinders, etc) than buy it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nothing I said should be construed as buying a "used loader". Most aftermarket loader manufacturers make the attachment hardware for many models so there is no "bastardization" involved. Who do you think makes the loaders for the OEM's ?.

When I bought my '82 Ford 4610 in 1999, I bought a new EZee ON loader with the mounting system that was designed for it and installed it myself. When I bought my NH TD95D it had a NH labeled loader that was made by Quicke who made all the NH loaders at that time. Maybe they still do.

Naturally, if you can find a tractor with a loader on it all ready and the tractor AND the loader is in good shape( no bent up welded over bucket or cracked frames, leaky cylinders, etc) than buy it.
When I bought my 1989 4x4 Ford 1920 FEL in 2015, I only looked at Ford 1920's that were for sale with OEM loaders.
Tractor was built in Japan (Shibaura), and was originally sold as an OEM Ford tractor/loader.
I was not at all interested in buying a bare Ford 1920, and then dealing with the hassle of searching for a new or used loader that would fit, plus the necessary accessories/fittings to make it all work.

Last edited:

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ok, good info. I thought the R-1 was thinner walled and more susceptible to puncture. Frankly I'll probably settle on the tire that's on the used tractor I can find...beggars and choosers.
True, if buying used, you get what’s on the tractor. You may find new, is your best option once you see what’s available and the price of used. When you buy new, you have a choice, as to what tire option you want. If your diving on hard surfaces

WaltWestbrook

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Rhea County, TN
Cut the tree down and measure it properly. We want detailed pictures. :)
Turns out my brain box was off by a foot diameter. I measured a few of the big pines circumference today. Largest tree I could get to (lots of brush and brambles around the stand) was 9'6", equating to 36.25" diameter. I think the two big stands of pines are at least 40 years old.
Image-26.png
IMG_3138.JPG

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Turns out my brain box was off by a foot diameter. I measured a few of the big pines circumference today. Largest tree I could get to (lots of brush and brambles around the stand) was 9'6", equating to 36.25" diameter. I think the two big stands of pines are at least 40 years old. View attachment 91671 View attachment 91672
You obviously have lots of pine lumber just waiting for you.
I would suspect that they are a lot more than 40 years old.

Reactions: 2 users

WaltWestbrook

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Rhea County, TN
While probably not surprising to y'all, I just got back from the dealer and a new M6060, 3rd function, no cab, Ag tires (filled), is not much more expensive than a 2 year old version with low miles.
I asked about a cash discount and was told there really isn't one, as I'd guess they make more money on the financing kick back.

Anyone want to forecast when, if ever, the used tractor market might start coming down?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
While probably not surprising to y'all, I just got back from the dealer and a new M6060, 3rd function, no cab, Ag tires (filled), is not much more expensive than a 2 year old version with low miles.
I asked about a cash discount and was told there really isn't one, as I'd guess they make more money on the financing kick back.

Anyone want to forecast when, if ever, the used tractor market might start coming down?
It has never been real cheap to buy used. Twenty years ago, a used tractor with reasonable hours and in good condition would bring 75% of new.