Paralysis by analysis - Buying decision needs wise input!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Interesting thread, I own both an MX 5800 and a L3901, having read some of the work you have listed, I am firmly with many other users here that have advised on an MX. My L3901 is a great machine for many uses but it does not have the weight and lifting capacity of the MX. If I had to own just one tractor it would be my MX as I can not survive with the lifting capacity of the L3901. The MX will outperform any form of ground work by a long way over the L3901, mainly due to the weight of the tractor and the larger implement / attachment that you can handle.

I quickly had needs that my MX could not handle, it was not a bigger tractor that I needed but different functions that a track loader could solve. I appreciate that most people have budgets and spending limitations but you are making an important investment that you are going to use a lot.

Think hard before you save money and move down to an L series as most of the attachments you will buy will also be based on the L series size / capability. Moving to a MX after you purchased an L will be a big jump and expensive.

Good luck in making your decisions, it sounds as if you have a lot of fun projects ahead. The problem is that you find you need a lot of attachments, it's like a disease and an expensive hobby .... lol

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Interesting thread, I own both an MX 5800 and a L3901, having read some of the work you have listed, I am firmly with many other users here that have advised on an MX. My L3901 is a great machine for many uses but it does not have the weight and lifting capacity of the MX. If I had to own just one tractor it would be my MX as I can not survive with the lifting capacity of the L3901. The MX will outperform any form of ground work by a long way over the L3901, mainly due to the weight of the tractor and the larger implement / attachment that you can handle.

I quickly had needs that my MX could not handle, it was not a bigger tractor that I needed but different functions that a track loader could solve. I appreciate that most people have budgets and spending limitations but you are making an important investment that you are going to use a lot.

Think hard before you save money and move down to an L series as most of the attachments you will buy will also be based on the L series size / capability. Moving to a MX after you purchased an L will be a big jump and expensive.

Good luck in making your decisions, it sounds as if you have a lot of fun projects ahead. The problem is that you find you need a lot of attachments, it's like a disease and an expensive hobby .... lol
GOOD SOLID ADVICE .....from someone who has actual comparative experience!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'd really like an excavator, but it's something that I could never justify. Sometimes renting equipment is the best way to go, even though I despise the hassle and cost of renting stuff.

Someone told me the other day that if it flies, floats or f's then you should rent it. Hmmmm .... I'm still going to buy a boat! :LOL:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Kubota TLBs are working good on our East Tennessee farm. Got our M59 years ago when they were plentiful and cheap used. Four post ROPS are needed our woods. Tough enough to do some construction work. Versatile enough for farm work.

Don’t like ag tractor backhoes. Owned several. Too dangerous.

I have never bought a new tractor. There are good deals but competitors are many.