Paging Dr. Hackenslash.....Paging Dr. Hackenslash.......

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
old skool....
I'd have just removed the hood....
2 guys, 10 minutes, toss into box, and go....

Hahahah....Hell man, my neighbors think I am a hillbilly now, I couldn't even imagine what they would say if I did that.

They were all looking out their front door, shaking their heads in disbelief, when I was "clocking" the top speed of each gear when I first got it home...

LOL

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I worked at one of the OEMs doing HVAC and cooling development. They issued a TSB for this issue. The fix is a special cooling fan clutch.
The plow would create air currents such that the disengaged fan would spin backwards or not at all. The clutch oil would pump out of the labyrinth causing no engagement, even at idle. I believe that this fix is part of a "snow plow" package now.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, here she is in all her glory.

Rummaging around the scrap pile I found some angle's from a bed frame that my wife had pitched in the trash, to use for the attachment angles.

Me: "Hey why are you throwing that perfectly good bed frame away?"

Wife: "Damn it Paul, why do you keep every single scrap POS, just throw it away!!!!"

Me: "Oh, I'll use it for something one day"

Wife: mutters something about the house looking like "Sanford and Son" while walking way
Maybe I'm married to her sister!!!!! ;)

My collection is so large and varied I have to take it to my farm 20 miles away.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
1. I'm still learning the plasma cutter, so I'm still at the trial and error phase.
2. My Sawz-all is up north. LOL
3. I live near a freeway so testing will be quick and if it don't work...your right, It'll be a 5.5 hour drive at 55
You NEED....A North Sawzall,....and a SOUTH Sawzall!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe I'm married to her sister!!!!! ;)

My collection is so large and varied I have to take it to my farm 20 miles away.
I suffer from the very same problem.
A woman....who just doesn't understand my keeping stuff.....because I might need it someday.

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
interesting, I used to have a plow on an 01 silverado (5.3), that i also used on a 14 ram (eco diesel). i used to drive it on the highway all the time and never had an issue. anywhere from 1-1.5hrs 2 lane and 4 lane 90-115kph

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cannonball Run to UP!
Love the spoiler on the front, Lamborghini did it on the Countach so it should work on your truck.
(Actually Importers did it to get around the bumper height law.)
1677699307222.png

I know your problem!
It's 2 fold.
We have the same problems here.
First part of problem is you live where it snows!
Sorry not much of a cure for this, but time will tell.

Second and most important issue is the lettering behind the plow... DODGE!
They are notorious for this!
I know guys up here that swap the hood out for a cowl hood that dumps in front of the radiator and that cures the issue, as it uses the high pressure in front of the windshield to force air into the radiator.
These only work at highway speeds, which is when your over heat issue happens.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a plow for my truck, but the problem is when I get on the freeway at speeds above 65 mph with the plow on, the truck overheats rather quickly.
They make fan clutches that cut on sooner for Ford for just this purpose. I don't know what you own. But I'd look at getting a different fan solution.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I worked at one of the OEMs doing HVAC and cooling development. They issued a TSB for this issue. The fix is a special cooling fan clutch.
The plow would create air currents such that the disengaged fan would spin backwards or not at all. The clutch oil would pump out of the labyrinth causing no engagement, even at idle. I believe that this fix is part of a "snow plow" package now.
Hmmm, do you have a TSB number? I cant seem to find it on Google. I have replaced the fan clutch, but maybe I didn't get the right one?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
You NEED....A North Sawzall,....and a SOUTH Sawzall!
Hahaha...aint it the truth.

I have a North and South "one of just about "everything"

When we bought the place, the first thing my neighbor said to me was, 'Now you gotta go out and buy one of everything again"

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Every consider an electric fan set up?
Not yet, I just replace the fan clutch.

The thing I would ask is this. If there is a lack of air (sort of like a low pressure zone) how would having a fan blowing longer help?

Wouldn't it kinda be like a fan sitting on a table on the moon? No matter how long you kept it on, there is nothing there for the fan to blow?

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Hmmm, do you have a TSB number? I cant seem to find it on Google. I have replaced the fan clutch, but maybe I didn't get the right one?
I found this TSB which applies to Ford Truck diesel engines.
TSB 07-11-5 DIESEL ENGINE - OVERHEATING WITH A SNOW PLOW INSTALLED ON VEHICLES WITHOUT THE FACTORY INSTALLED SNOW PLOW PACKAGE

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I suffer from the very same problem.
A woman....who just doesn't understand my keeping stuff.....because I might need it someday.
Yep. BTDT

A1C438CB-9ABC-43D3-954C-D858E691F93F.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hahaha...aint it the truth.

I have a North and South "one of just about "everything"

When we bought the place, the first thing my neighbor said to me was, 'Now you gotta go out and buy one of everything again"
I can certainly relate.
Until several years ago I had a place in Canada, a place in MA, and a place in FL.
Three of much stuff.
Now down to only two houses, so life has become a bit more simplified.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
Not yet, I just replace the fan clutch.

The thing I would ask is this. If there is a lack of air (sort of like a low pressure zone) how would having a fan blowing longer help?

Wouldn't it kinda be like a fan sitting on a table on the moon? No matter how long you kept it on, there is nothing there for the fan to blow?
You don't have a low pressure zone. You have an air flow problem. The air doesn't flow through the radiator due to the plow blocking the flow. An electric fan + shroud designed for a radiator will move air through the radiator before the temperature gets so high it engages the fan clutch.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
one old skool 'fix' for overheating engine was to turn heater on full fan and hot. It'd drop the engine temperature from 'meltdown' to 'we can get home'.

the HUGE issue with 'overheating' is the automatic tranny literally frying !

another way to prevent overheating on the highway..... remove plow, toss in pickup box.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
You don't have a low pressure zone. You have an air flow problem. The air doesn't flow through the radiator due to the plow blocking the flow. An electric fan + shroud designed for a radiator will move air through the radiator before the temperature gets so high it engages the fan clutch.
I, kind of, get that but where would I place this fan, and how would I regulate it? I can't really think of anywhere to put one that would fit.