overwhelmed by choices, please help

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
Like it seems many experience, I'm becoming overwhelmed by all the options in the seemingly very competitive compact tractor market.

So, I'm looking for my first tractor, and I'm considering kubota because it seems like a good brand with a lot of attachments. I also like that they make all their own parts. I also have a dealer only an hour and a half away.

I have 13 wooded acres with a 350 foot driveway leading to a spot I need to clear the trees from to build, a 700 foot long private road, and once we clear the spot for the house, we'll have a 1-2 acre garden.

So, that means I'm going to need a tlb combo for sure, that can push over popple trees and/or dig up stumps, skid trees through the woods, grade the road, driveway, and yard, dig foundation trenches, dig an outhouse hole, and maintain the garden. Optionally, if they aren't cost prohibitive, or mean I would have to get a less suitable tractor would be a snowblower, cab, and mower.

I've been doing some research for some time, and have ruled out the BX. The problem is balancing between the cost vs capability of the B, LX, and L machines, but also the attachments obviously go up in price.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the B seems to have a snowblower that attaches to the front of the tractor with no other bits and bobs, but moving up to the lx and L require you to buy a bunch of extra parts? are there any simpler blowers like the B seems to offer for these machines? Do the cabs help these machines be any quieter to operate? is there much of a reason to upgrade to the 30HP engine for these uses? it doesn't seem many people feel the need for more than 26HP in this size tractor. I'm already planning on getting some kind of luggy tire so I have plenty of traction.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Here is a walk through of B series Snowblower. Can't comment on the rest as the other more seasoned experts will be by to help. Good call on ruling out the BX with that sized land!

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
Thank you for the response. I was talking about from a purchasing perspective. Kubota lists the snowblower by itself for the b, but makes you buy a 4 point hitch and all kinds of other parts along with the snowblower.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you do a bit more research I think you'll find the LX tractor is simply one of the larger B tractors with a new name. Messicks did a review on the LX. Many people go with 25 hp or less due to additional emissions requirements for larger tractors (I did). I believe a front PTO may be had on the B or LX series tractors for a front snow thrower. I do not believe that's an option on the L series which more commonly use a rear mounted unit. So far my L2501 has fulfilled all my expectations but we don't generally get much snow here.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Hard to find one tractor that meets all our needs. I use by 3 point a lot so opted not to get a tractor with a hoe on it.

When I need to clear some trees or have stumps removed I usually rent a mini or hire someone with big equipment to take care of it quickly. A hoe runs about what 7K roughly, I can rent a mini for $400.00 a week delivered to my house. I can put wear and tear on it and it is made for that type of work and my tractor is free.

Just for thought would it be better option to rent or hire some of the heavy work out?

It runs about 1K a day here for a dozer or track hoe, they can do so much work in a day.

If hired out you may can get by with smaller tractor and use that money to get work done.

Just throwing out ideas, you know what is best for your situation.

Good luck.
Jay

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
I've thought about that. The thing is, everytime I need a mini ex, or a dozer will add up. Everytime I cut down a tree it'll need to be stumped, if I can knock it down, it'll be one step. Also, around here the prices you mention for rentals MIGHT cover a few hours to an 8 hour shift if you're lucky. That's why the tlb is desired for us, is really we need to be able to take care of our land long term which involves thinning the poppies and taking care of a lot of downed ones.

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
If you do a bit more research I think you'll find the LX tractor is simply one of the larger B tractors with a new name. Messicks did a review on the LX. Many people go with 25 hp or less due to additional emissions requirements for larger tractors (I did). I believe a front PTO may be had on the B or LX series tractors for a front snow thrower. I do not believe that's an option on the L series which more commonly use a rear mounted unit. So far my L2501 has fulfilled all my expectations but we don't generally get much snow here.
Yes, the lx is what used to be the large b with the serviceable dpf now used, for all intents and purposes. The lx seems to use a 4 point hitch to mount the front snowblower, where the b uses a subframe, which is a more affordable option

Last edited:

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
the main thing I don't know is if the B or even LX will be big enough to do any of this. If the B is big enough, I'll take longer and just do it slower, no problem. but if I need the LX or L to do the job, so be it. if the B will let me dig up stumps of trees relatively easily, I'll gladly "live with" "only" having a B. Honestly the only thing stopping me from buying the BX is it's just too small and wouldn't tolerate trouncing through the woods

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I went to buy a B2650 a few weeks ago and was told that it was replaced with the LX2610 model wth minimal differences between the two models. The sales rep said Kubota did this name change more for the B3350/LX3310 model to distance itself from the problems with that model and give buyers "fresh new tractor". I borrowed a friends B2650 last fall for some work around the property and was impressed with what a tractor that size was capable of and decided to go the same route vs dealing with emissions on the larger 3350.

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
thank you for your input. I'm getting my info from messicks

he says the LX, both of the engine choices, is as big as the bigger B series was. The LX appears to be a slightly larger and heavier tractor than the b.

Reactions: 1 user

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
thank you for your input. I'm getting my info from messicks

he says the LX, both of the engine choices, is as big as the bigger B series was. The LX appears to be a slightly larger and heavier tractor than the b.
The Messick's videos are a great resource. He mentioned in one vid that larger tires were available if I remember correctly. Optionwise the part numbers for my options were the same numbers between my B2650 and LX2610 quotes. Just the tractor and loader were different.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Welcome to the forum. You are asking about running a front snow blower on a B series, they run off a mid mount PTO which the B has. On an L you can not run a front mount snowblower you would typically run a rear PTO driven snowblower.
The cost of a front mount snow blower is about double what a rear mount snow blower costs. If you buy a rear mount snow blower you have a large selection in attachments by many makers.

From the work described you are not looking to cut your lawn you are looking to do a lot of groundwork and development type work, this in my opinion requires some weight in the tractor and some size, I would definately suggest that you look at an L series.

Take a look at this:

As far as attachment cost there are many factors. An L series uses many 60" attachments, in my opinion these are one of the most common sizes and choices as a result you can find a lot available used and a lot of competitive manufacturers.

It's exciting but also a little bewildering getting your first tractor. Focus on tractor selection, attachments can follow.

Good luck

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
My advice to you is know what horsepower range you want, go test drive them all no matter which brand, and whatever feels like an old comfortable shoe is the one for you.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
Lots of discussions about renting a mini ex rather than getting a backhoe, but my experience has been that having the back hoe on demand at anytime you want it for small things is just awesome. I wouldn't be without mine and i use it a lot. Don't know about the snow blower thing, but I think a Grand L would be the best choice not considering the blower.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
.....................I believe a front PTO may be had on the B or LX series tractors for a front snow thrower. I do not believe that's an option on the L series which more commonly use a rear mounted unit..................
The L series does have mid PTO available for blowers, etc:

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
The grand L is too big and too expensive, plus I'm not looking to push over a mountain, I think the biggest trees I'm looking at moving would be 10 inches across. would the l2501 be enough tractor? without the cab :( and with the rear snowblower :( it's cheap enough I can justify it's cost. I don't need a 9 foot backhoe, and I would imagine the L with a backhoe weighing the rear down would be stable enough to lift some pretty good weight?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Most of the pines I've removed were around 20-25" diameter, 90-100 ft tall. My B2650 has essentially the same lift capacity as the 2501, so to answer your question, yes the 2501 is enough tractor. The BH77 has been able to dig up all the stumps as well. It took longer than an excavator would have, but I liked the ability to go dig on a stump after work for 30 at a time vs renting something and spending all day getting it, using it, and returning it. If you want to do a big job all at once, renting big equipment is the way to go. If you want to multiple jobs, or break a big job into multiple smaller ones, getting a backhoe for your tractor is way more convenient and could be less costly in the long run.

Reactions: 1 users

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
Thank you. I really would rather get a b than anything bigger. I'm going to have time to work on my projects, so I'm not really worried about doing things super quick, just so long as it will do it without being frustratingly slow. Can you push over smaller trees? Let's say 10" and under? Is it heavy enough to confidently skid those pines in one or two pieces?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Personally, I would get the LX. I bought my first tractor (a NH 1620) in 1996. I bought the B2650 last November to replace it. A tractor tends to stick around a long time. You will get more work out of the LX with the increased weight and footprint out in the woods every day you own it.

Same goes for the blower, tiller, rake etc.

Where the LX is is a brand new model, resale will also look better if you need to sell it.

About the cab,

A cab is quieter for sure.
A cab is more comfortable for sure.
A cab reduces/eliminates the dust.
But,
If you are adding heat and AC a cab uses more HP.
A cab is a greenhouse with limited ventilation.
A cab sucks in the woods, around trees and in tight places.
A cab reduces visibility.
Kubota glass is really expensive and those suicide doors seem like they were designed to make money selling doors. You will only forget the door open in the woods one time.

Personally, I would save the money on the cab and get the LX. But then we go snowmobiling at insane speeds in below zero temperatures for recreation, the cold really isn't an issue.

You never hear a guy say, gee I wish I bought a smaller tractor - lol.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thank you. I really would rather get a b than anything bigger. I'm going to have time to work on my projects, so I'm not really worried about doing things super quick, just so long as it will do it without being frustratingly slow. Can you push over smaller trees? Let's say 10" and under? Is it heavy enough to confidently skid those pines in one or two pieces?

Even with the L you won’t just push over a 10” tree. If pushing them over is the plan then a bull dozer is tool for the job. I have pushed maybe 5-6” inch trees with my L but I quit doing that, it is very hard on the machine.

Reactions: 5 users