overwhelmed by choices, please help

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm not familiar with the climate you're in except it gets cold and snowy. After spending over 20 years on open station tractors, I built a heated cab for the last tractor. The ventilation was via doors that lifted off easily when the weather got warm. With a small fan and the doors removed, it was better than an open station in the hot sun.

About 1-1/2 years ago I had the opportunity to move to a factory-cabbed tractor with both heat and A/C. It was a huge improvement over the heated-only cab. Being able to keep cool on the hot days in itself is great. Other benefits include watching the bugs, deer flies, etc bounce off the glass instead of biting me. Not sneezing and wheezing in Pollen Season and Dust Season, and driving without ear protection are nice.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Digital dash? I kind of stopped worrying about digital after my first TI watch.
That old rotary phone was bulletproof though, until it broke.

I would say just about every mechanical dash I have owned for a long time has had issues. Usually bulbs and cables but issues regardless.

Knock on some simulated wood somewhere - at this point in life I have yet to have a digital dash break. Is this really an issue with any Kubota digital dash? Most "mechanical" or "analog" dash's at this point are mostly electronic anyway.

I get the preference for a needle vs. a number but reliability in theory should be much better in digital. Mechanical will always fail, it is just a matter of time being mechanical and all.

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
The factory cabs have ac, but from what I understand you can't remove the doors and there are no windows to open. Here it gets over 80 for many of the summer days and our winners get quite cold and windy

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
The back window opens (not sure how far). Having used a friends B2650 in both heat and cold weather the cab was very nice to have. Nice cold a/c and great heat inside.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I'll tell you that I have a L4400 (45HP) and my neighbor has a B series--not sure which model. I was recently helping him move large pieces of wood from a fallen dead tree and I ended up doing most of the work as his tractor was not capable.

Also I'm not sure if the B series is cat 0 or 1, 3-point.

therealhotrod

Jun 22, 2020
da U.P.
I'll tell you that I have a L4400 (45HP) and my neighbor has a B series--not sure which model. I was recently helping him move large pieces of wood from a fallen dead tree and I ended up doing most of the work as his tractor was not capable.

Also I'm not sure if the B series is cat 0 or 1, 3-point.
What couldn't it do? I believe the b has a cat 1

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
An L4400 is a much more powerful machine than an L2501 or any B. If you're trying to lift large logs that are bigger than a B or L2501 can lift, then yup, the bigger tractor will end up doing all the work. If you had stuff that was smaller and fit within the capability of a B, then it could have done the work.

Some of it also comes down to using what you have. I presume someone chainsawed the logs up, and chainsawed them to a size that the machine could lift. If you had to do it with a B, you'd just chop them up smaller, or you'd skid them instead of lifting them, or you'd do something else.

Dad and I did a big tree with his large Kioti. Couldn't lift it so we put a chain around it and dragged it out into the paddock. We cut it into rings, his loader isn't that strong (in my opinion), so we cut them small enough it could lift them. They all were going into firewood anyway, it's just a choice whether I cut them smaller in the paddock or cut them smaller when I get to the log splitter. And actually, we had to manhandle them onto the log splitter, so cutting them a bit smaller was nice, as we didn't kill ourselves trying to position the rounds.