Overheating Kubota Z482 enduro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Though water never flowed from the open draincock, I did notice immediately water flowing from the sending unit on the head so I threaded it back in. This has a spade connector and the varying electrical resistance which leads me to believe this is for a temperature gauge, not a fan. Is this correct? I will find a fan switch around 190 and T it off here. I did find another much larger switch just below the alternator/behind the starter. I believe this is the oil pressure switch, correct? Many diagrams I have seen show the oil filter here while mine is just below the injection pump.
Yes that is the temp gauge unit, look behind the thermostat housing for a plug or temp sender there for the fan switch.

Yes the sender just above the starter is the oil pressure.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Last edited:

vwaudiwelder

Aug 31, 2015
Ohio
I think I have got the cooling under control as the temps on the hoses stay between 160-180 via my temp gun. The heatsoaked thermostat housing is at about 202 or so. I did wire up my electric fan to the sending unit atop the head. The fan did kick on and stays on until about 160 F. As others have mentioned I think this atop the head is a varying resistance temp gauge sending unit, not an ON/OFF fan switch thus the fan flickering as it drops down to 160F. I will need to get one and thread it into the hole in the thermostat housing currently blocked off. When I have wired the temp sending unit to my Chinese digital cluster I do not seem to get any consistent readings. I am unsure the ohm resistance values this gauge needs for Hi to Low output readings.

I did ride the beast to the local scrapyard where I found the 2 complete Carrier APU Z482 units. My second unit is shown in the photo below. Who on earth takes these awesome fully functional Kubotas to a scrapyard?!?

My TIG welded chrome exhaust, motor mounts, a lot of the materials are sourced from this scrapyard. I am so grateful to have them in my neighborhood just blocks from my home. The guys there really got a kick out of seeing the bike up close and listening to the motor. While there I found from a collection of dinosaur lathes and heavy equipment a louvered panel to attach atop my expanded metal radiator cover. I will trim the mounts closer to get the shroud really close to the cooling fins then switch the polarity to draw the air through being introduced by the louvered panel on the opposite side.

While the motor is mounted solid to the frame with 3 bolts, the rear is on 2 rubber mounts from the APU. These (along with the vertical 1x3/16" tube and 1/4" angle extensions welded to the front mounting plate) apparently are flexing a bit and when the bike is on the center stand at full throttle with the knobby tire spinning furiously. The guys noticed the center to center distance of the drive/primary and driven/secondary clutches coming together 1/8"-1/4". This surely is contributing to my less than ideal engagement and top speed. I may replace the rear upper bushes with plastic or aluminum. I may instead utilize a section of the thick aluminum diamond plate from the APU and use it as a lower bash guard which will also prevent the motor from rotating about the front upper axis.

The 10T front sprocket is doing much better than my 17T at acceleration and higher top speed. After I calibrate my speedometer to a GPS I will try a 14T and 12T if necessary.

Yesterday I got at the local swap meet 2-40mm ammo cans to use for saddle bags. Time to bend up some 1/2" EMT and powdercoat the racks (and all the fabricated parts) in my oven! Good times indeed...

Attachments

Last edited:

mrmr56

Equipment
G4200, Z482, 3 G5200's
Jul 22, 2015
Waco, TX
I have an old garden tractor that I have converted to a Z482 diesel out of the same apu. Due to a narrow grill shell on the lower side, I had some constraints as to the size of the radiator. I ended up with an all aluminum radiator out of an early model Mini Cooper sourced on ebay for about $60.00. I have had no problems keeping the engine cool with this setup. The original Carrier radiator that you are using was normally run in series with the truck cooling system thus adding to the cooling capacity of the system.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Some snowmobile engines use all rubber mounts,and adjustable snubbers to keep engine from flexing to and fro. Basically a threaded rod through a bracket and a rubber foot against engine block. Usually one below clutch and one diagonally across engine to keep alignment.
Have seen it used, but dont recall exactly where.

Trying to find a small diesel to power some small equipment, not an easy thing in my neck of the woods. $2000 and up.
Missed out on a couple kubota engines that needed work, some day i will find one.

Last edited:

vwaudiwelder

Aug 31, 2015
Ohio
Hello all. I would once again like to thank you all for your time and assistance in addressing the overheating of my diesel bike. I have sourced a radiator fan switch and fan. I have also mounted a louvered panel from a mill at the local scrapyard. I have spent a lot of time creating a photo album on my FB page: Jefferson Bello. Let me know what you think. P.S. if any of you are familiar with governor adjustments/ improvements please message me. I NEED to get this thing up to 70mph! Thank you all.

mrmr56

Equipment
G4200, Z482, 3 G5200's
Jul 22, 2015
Waco, TX
I am running the same engine out of a Carrier apu in a MTD 990 garden tractor. The small radiator that you are using won't cut it. That system was never designed as a stand alone system. The apu also used the truck cooling system and the Z482 heated the truck system as well as itself. I used an all aluminum radiator off of an early model Mini Cooper that I got off of e-bay only using the radiator fan that was originally on the apu. My system runs about 170 degrees for hours on end. I think the radiator was about $60 or $70. I hope this might help you. If needed, shout back and I will try to take a picture of the setup.