Over filled transmission on L3710 GST?

unioncreek

Equipment
Kubota L3710 GST
Nov 1, 2023
WA
I changed the transmission and filter on my new to me L3710 GST. I miss read the amount 10.3 gallons as 12 gallons. Is it OK to leave it all in there or should I drain out the extra?

Bob

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
I can't speak specifically to your question, but in general overfilling an engine or transmission is not good for seals.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I changed the transmission and filter on my new to me L3710 GST. I miss read the amount 10.3 gallons as 12 gallons. Is it OK to leave it all in there or should I drain out the extra?

Bob

You need to get rid of some.

I would invest in a small suction tube - the price of the oil you save will offset the expense of the pump and tube.

Taking the drain plug off could be bath time in hydraulic fluid!

Reactions: 1 users

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I would take a short hydraulic hose with a male coupler on one end, plug that into a female coupler and pump a few gallons into a CLEAN jug. Save it future use, keeping everything neat and dry. No fuss, no mess.

And no crawling around under the tractor fighting with drain plugs.

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I would take a short hydraulic hose with a male coupler on one end, plug that into a female coupler and pump a few gallons into a CLEAN jug. Save it future use, keeping everything neat and dry. No fuss, no mess.

And no crawling around under the tractor fighting with drain plugs.
This is the way 👍

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
Truth be told, I have a couple of hoses I keep handy just for this purpose. When I need to drain a tractor for repair I use one if I hope or expect to put the same oil back in. I keep a number of empty oil clean oil jugs for numerous reasons. Always handy to have some clean storage space available. So much easier and neater to plug a hose into a remote then pump out what will come until the pump sucks air. The fluid is neatly contained and ready to pour it back in if I choose. When the oil stops flowing, shut the tractor off and drain what's left in drain pans. Usually not all that much. What's in the pans is often not suitable for reuse, so it can be bottled up as waste oil. It helps keep the mess on the floor to a minimum.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Truth be told, I have a couple of hoses I keep handy just for this purpose. When I need to drain a tractor for repair I use one if I hope or expect to put the same oil back in. I keep a number of empty oil clean oil jugs for numerous reasons. Always handy to have some clean storage space available. So much easier and neater to plug a hose into a remote then pump out what will come until the pump sucks air. The fluid is neatly contained and ready to pour it back in if I choose. When the oil stops flowing, shut the tractor off and drain what's left in drain pans. Usually not all that much. What's in the pans is often not suitable for reuse, so it can be bottled up as waste oil. It helps keep the mess on the floor to a minimum.
I've always used 5 gallon water jugs for this. They're stable, and allow me to see the sediment (if any) as it settles. I've been known to pour (filter) from one CarBoy to another, then pour back into the trans.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Suck it out with a tube.

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I have a B 2650 and overfilled the transmission/ HST. Could I use a pump and go through the fill opening on this? Or will I be hitting some gears or other obstruction

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I have a B 2650 and overfilled the transmission/ HST. Could I use a pump and go through the fill opening on this? Or will I be hitting some gears or other obstruction
Yes, you can remove from the filler opening. The tube will only (mine, 5/8" outside diameter clear tubing) go in so far. If a smaller pump, same scenario.

unioncreek

Equipment
Kubota L3710 GST
Nov 1, 2023
WA
I drained the excess hydraulic oil this morning. Drained out approximately 4 gallons before I could see it in the sight glass. Got to checking how much I drained out, that amount was slightly over 9 gallons. According to the service manual it should hold 10.3 gallons.

when I drained it I pulled the plugs and let it drain for over an hour so I know it was all out of the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The 10.3 gallons would be a dry unit, not a fluid change. They have dipsticks or sight windows to allow a person to monitor the oil level.