Operating over septic tank and field

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Hey everyone, I’ve always avoided driving tractor over septic field and septic tank as I had heard it’s something that can cause problems. That being said the person I heard it the most from was my grandpa who has equipment weighing 3-6 times more than the B/LX series tractors I’ve owned. Well we want to wrip out bushes and some landscape rocks that are located in a spot where I’d be siding my tractor almost directly over my septic tanks in order to use loader to pull them out, I’m guessing that’s a no go? My tractor I would be using is LX2610 with loaded tires and a box blade on back with loader.
Same question goes for septic field as I avoid traveling across it... should I be so worried? I figure better safe than sorry but I also don’t want to fear something that isn’t worth fearing....

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I would be more worried about the septic tank as the lid is usually within 2 ft of the ground. Have you marked or staked out the location of the tank and lines? Is there a way to avoid traveling over it?

Reactions: 1 user

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Should be fine on field !! I would stay off tank and lid area I do run zero turn mower over my tank and on field L4701 and toro 5000 series zero turn mower !!

Reactions: 1 users

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I would be more worried about the septic tank as the lid is usually within 2 ft of the ground. Have you marked or staked out the location of the tank and lines? Is there a way to avoid traveling over it?
Yea I know where lids and tanks are and it blocks all access to this spot except maybe the one bush furthest on left side I might be able to get by driving on my sidewalk up close to front door on an angle, then I’d only be driving over main line running to tank and maybe furthest corner of tank. My two tank lids are 24-32” down, forget exact depth... I have two large tanks.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Septic tank and entire drain field are in a part of the yard I mow. Drive over both with my 2380 and have had no problems, but my soil here is almost all dense, red clay. If my soil was nice soft loam or sandy I would probably worry about.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I think the septic tank concern is mainly based on older metal tanks that could corrode and collapse. I dont see there being an issue with more recent concrete tanks and a mid frame compact tractor.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
They make a vehicle rated cover and if it was installed relatively recently you might be able to find some records at your county health Dept. You could then contact manufacturer as they are probably local.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I go over the tanks and lids with my B1800. I did purchase flat lids since I had domed lids that I kept tearing up. The risers and lids are plastic and sit flush with the surface. No guessing as to where it is. My field is the raised type and I have no issues taking my b3200 with the RC5 cutter over it or the B1800 and the mmm. I do avoid the distribution box from the tank to the field and will straddle that with either tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
your tractor weighs maybe 2000-2200 #s according to 'tractordata'....
NOT a problem , I've crossed my bed 100s of times in 30 years.
Obviously NOT in early Spring( mushy ground).
Now the question I have is the bed. Is it old clay pipe or PVC ? How old was the bed laid ?

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
your tractor weighs maybe 2000-2200 #s according to 'tractordata'....
NOT a problem , I've crossed my bed 100s of times in 30 years.
Obviously NOT in early Spring( mushy ground).
Now the question I have is the bed. Is it old clay pipe or PVC ? How old was the bed laid ?
Built in 2002, PVC pipe in field. Tanks are cement with the flush cement lids.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Pic below shows septic tank & leach lines/field. (in yellow) I have driven my F350 4wd crew (approx7700lbs) & dump trailer between the building & tank hundreds of times with no effect. I actually drive over the corner of the tank, but being concrete, I expect no problems. I have driven my B7100, (approx 2600lbs) my Rhino, (approx 1100lbs)& my golf cart (approx 1600lbs) over the leach fields hundreds of times, again with no effect.
Leach pipe is 4" PVC, drainage rock is 2-3" cinders, which lock together like concrete.

(Blue rectangle is new container location, orange is new driveway extension)
Google needs to update their satellite photos.
annotateoh.jpg

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
From what I understand, you need to pull the bushes out with your tractor while the tractor is on the septic tank. If that is correct you will be putting additional pressure on the tank lid as you lift. Not a good thing to do.

I had a concrete septic tank lid fall in. It had never had even a push mower on it. We just noticed an order and figured it was the dairy farm a mile and half down the road cleaning their stalls. It was that time of year and never gave it a second thought. After that incident I'd suggest staying off any tank with anything of much weight. That was a concrete tank and lid. Lid was at a depth of about 15" and had decorative wood chip on top.

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Driving over the tank depends on the tank age, size and construction.
Driving over the leach field depends on the condition of the soil, if it's wet and you putting ruts or depressions in the grounds at all stay off of it, as it's too soft.

My 1250 gallon tank (no cover just Port holes) the whole tank weighs over 14K and is a Heavy Duty, or also called a drive over tank.

If I was you, I would dig the top of the tank out and find out what I had in the ground, and if you haven't had it pumped in a while do that and have it inspected, well worth the cost for the peace of mind.

Reactions: 2 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One aspect of septic tanks rarely discussed is one floating up out of the ground when pumped out.

If the ground water level is high as in the spring, a pumped tank becomes a boat and the flotation forces will lift it out of the ground.

Well engineered system will have a heavy ballast cap on the tank to prevent the floating.

These caps are formed in place because they are so heavy.

Plastic tanks need to be tied down to a heavy ballast under the tank.

When you see one happen, it looks like a submarine surfacing.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Driving over the tank depends on the tank age, size and construction.
Driving over the leach field depends on the condition of the soil, if it's wet and you putting ruts or depressions in the grounds at all stay off of it, as it's too soft.

My 1250 gallon tank (no cover just Port holes) the whole tank weighs over 14K and is a Heavy Duty, or also called a drive over tank.

If I was you, I would dig the top of the tank out and find out what I had in the ground, and if you haven't had it pumped in a while do that and have it inspected, well worth the cost for the peace of mind.
I had both tanks pumped in 2017, this will be 4th year afterwards so thinking I'll go ahead and get the first tank in line pumped again. The tanks are cement with a heavy cement lid buried about 18" deep in the first tank and 22" deep in the second tank. When I get it pumped this time I'll ask the guy about the type and whether or not a 2500 lb machine would be an issue to drive over it a few times to get those bushes out. Thanks for the info!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I had both tanks pumped in 2017, this will be 4th year afterwards so thinking I'll go ahead and get the first tank in line pumped again. The tanks are cement with a heavy cement lid buried about 18" deep in the first tank and 22" deep in the second tank. When I get it pumped this time I'll ask the guy about the type and whether or not a 2500 lb machine would be an issue to drive over it a few times to get those bushes out. Thanks for the info!
If you are concerned, consider making a temporary mat out of planks to spread out the tractor weight.

Dave

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
If you are concerned, consider making a temporary mat out of planks to spread out the tractor weight.

Dave
I have two 2x12x12’s in garage I could do that with... seems like it’d spread Out the weight some, good idea.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When the local power company sends out their big trucks to replace a pole or that sort of thing, they bring a few sheets of 1" plywood with handholds cut in them for septic fields, water lines, and the like. You just have to tell them where the lines are, or clearly mark them.

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
When the local power company sends out their big trucks to replace a pole or that sort of thing, they bring a few sheets of 1" plywood with handholds cut in them for septic fields, water lines, and the like. You just have to tell them where the lines are, or clearly mark them.
Must be nice to have a utility company care that much. Around here if I am not present they do what they want. I have electric right of way through my property which runs over my drain field. Last time they came to trim I had to stop them from driving over it.