Open Discussion

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
I'm a salesman that's new to Kubota. I have a year of Deere prior to this position, so it's safe to say I'm still new to the industry. I'm not here to sell you anything. I'm hoping to open a discourse between sub compact to small utility size machines and attachments. I thought this may be a good way for me to understand the needs of my customers better.

That being said, I just want to hear about your past experiences like moving from Deere to Kubota machines, love or hate, tricks you found with implements, life hacks, things I should consider or ask about when approaching a customer with a specific item you've purchased).

I could get radio silence, but I learn the most when I'm with my customers, so I thought I'd take that sentiment to you all.

Edit: Been in sales over a decade, but I'm new to the Tractor world of sales in a sense. Love the salesman advice, though!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I could get radio silence
You must be a young man.

"radio silent" is one of those terms to become popular in the past few years.... even though it pretty much sounds stupid and doesn't really make sense... technically.

goes right along with all the other BS terminology...
"check all the boxes"
"Thats AMAZING"
He's "ghosting me"
"GOAT"
"clap back"
and the list goes on and on...

Sure, I sound like an old fart... But words mean things.
and most of the folks you are selling to are simple/ no BS people.

Good luck with your new position.
"Knock em dead, kid.... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
You must be a young man.

"radio silent" is one of those terms to become popular in the past few years.... even though it pretty much sounds stupid and doesn't really make sense... technically.

goes right along with all the other BS terminology...
"check all the boxes"
"Thats AMAZING"
He's "ghosting me"
"GOAT"
"clap back"
and the list goes on and on...

Sure, I sound like an old fart... But words mean things.
and most of the folks you are selling to are simple/ no BS people.

Good luck with your new position.
"Knock em dead, kid.... :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I don't know about trending phrases, but I get what you mean. It's like "hanging up the phone" to me. I touch the screen on my cellphone to "hang up" but it refers to an obsolete tech where the literally meaning is irrelevant.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Never use the word "cheap" or "cheaper". The proper word to use is "less expensive". You must learn to be a professional, starting with how you address people: Sir, Madam, Mr., Mrs, Miss, and all correct. Never address them as "you guys". Nothing turns off a woman more than being addressed as a "guy". Be polite and don't be afraid to tell them that you are just starting, and don't know all the answers, but you will get them the answer after you check with a more knowledgeable associate. Good luck, you are going to need it if you want to succeed. You must learn your product and know it well. Start with all the consumer literature and read it over multiple times until you know and understand the equipment.

Reactions: 4 users

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
Never use the word "cheap" or "cheaper". The proper word to use is "less expensive". You must learn to be a professional, starting with how you address people: Sir, Madam, Mr., Mrs, Miss, and all correct. Never address them as "you guys". Nothing turns off a woman more than being addressed as a "guy". Be polite and don't be afraid to tell them that you are just starting, and don't know all the answers, but you will get them the answer after you check with a more knowledgeable associate. Good luck, you are going to need it if you want to succeed. You must learn your product and know it well. Start with all the consumer literature and read it over multiple times until you know and understand the equipment.
I agree with you on all fronts. I've been in sales over a decade and those notions are top of the list when I would train new salesmen for Honda.
I would preach most important sale is yourself, then the dealership, then finally the product (which you should learn more about everyday)

I guess I should have said I'm new to the tractor and equipment industry of sales.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I just sent you a private message. Look in the top right-hand corner of the screen for an envelope next to the letter T

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Following what DustyRusty mentioned, when describing any item you're offering never use a superlative (a word ending in EST) because when doing so you're inviting a comparison before a decision is made.

Before telling any customer what you have to offer ask questions first. Find out what they think they want and why. Your goal is to match their want and why to a product you have.

There is technique, fact-bridge-benefit. Tell them the fact, then the benefit of that fact. An example: This tractor is built by Kubota and has a Kubota diesel engine which means they are reliable they've been around for 40 years.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Following what DustyRusty mentioned, when describing any item you're offering never use a superlative (a word ending in EST) because when doing so you're inviting a comparison before a decision is made.

Before telling any customer what you have to offer ask questions first. Find out what they think they want and why. Your goal is to match their want and why to a product you have.

There is technique, fact-bridge-benefit. Tell them the fact, then the benefit of that fact. An example: This tractor is built by Kubota and has a Kubota diesel engine which means they are reliable they've been around for 40 years.
Now you tell us the rest of the story. You know it all already. Didn't mean to waste your time. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the new position! My biggest gripe with my salesman was not returning calls/emails. Not everybody here is as grumpy or condescending as some. Lots of good info and knowledgeable people.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Main reason I 'jumped colours' was the salesman in the other store was too busy fixing a chainsaw to make my deal. Really, 2nd salesguy too busy smoking(not allowed up here...) to take my money either. Sigh...Drive 10 minutes down the road and Kubota guy meeted and greeted me,show literature, asked questions and got his commision within an hour. Two days later HE dropped off my BX23S,spent 1 1/2hr going over darn near everything with me. That was 5 1/2 years ago. Always says 'hello' when I go back for parts,upgrades, oil.

Reactions: 3 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard 👍

I'm sure we all have things we're tired of hearing. "Price point" is one that immediately makes me lose interest in whatever someone is selling.

I got so tired of having cold-call sales people call me at work to "reach out to me" I told one the next time I hear that phrase I'll puke into the phone.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I'm new to the world of sub-compact tractors so no brand means anything specific to me. I went with Kubota simply because the dealership is 6mins from my property. I had a nice casual sales experience, which was good I'm buying a tractor not a Bentley, so I expected friendly service and professional knowledge.

1. The most important thing you ever sell is yourself. Treat people like you want to be treated.
  2. You can say "I don't know" a million times, but get caught in lie once and that is what you'll be remembered for.
  3. Provide a solution, don't "sell" a service.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1: Learn your product

You should know more about the tractors and implements your selling than anyone around you.
In other words be the smartest in the room.

It also wouldn't hurt you to know a little history about Kubota, it is quite interesting.

Reactions: 5 users

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
Now you tell us the rest of the story. You know it all already. Didn't mean to waste your time. ;)
If anything these are good reminders! I agree with asking questions before throwing out options. qualifying lands you on the precise machine that fits the needs. The sale becomes a lot less work when you're on the right product.

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
Welcome aboard 👍

I'm sure we all have things we're tired of hearing. "Price point" is one that immediately makes me lose interest in whatever someone is selling.

I got so tired of having cold-call sales people call me at work to "reach out to me" I told one the next time I hear that phrase I'll puke into the phone.
I am not one to burden, that's for sure. Spamming emails and voicemails only creates irritations in my experience.

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
Main reason I 'jumped colours' was the salesman in the other store was too busy fixing a chainsaw to make my deal. Really, 2nd salesguy too busy smoking(not allowed up here...) to take my money either. Sigh...Drive 10 minutes down the road and Kubota guy meeted and greeted me,show literature, asked questions and got his commision within an hour. Two days later HE dropped off my BX23S,spent 1 1/2hr going over darn near everything with me. That was 5 1/2 years ago. Always says 'hello' when I go back for parts,upgrades, oil.
That's a sales guy I'd return to. I actually enjoy meeting new people and actually being in the room with them. I try to be someone I'd buy something off of and that's easy going, and competent. I don't show you the keys, show you the door. Going over the machine and following up is the most important

TheTractorPlug

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 5, 2024
New Hampshire
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the new position! My biggest gripe with my salesman was not returning calls/emails. Not everybody here is as grumpy or condescending as some. Lots of good info and knowledgeable people.
#1: Learn your product

You should know more about the tractors and implements your selling than anyone around you.
In other words be the smartest in the room.

It also wouldn't hurt you to know a little history about Kubota, it is quite interesting.
I'd add to educate those around you as you learn. What's good for the geese, you know?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I would study your equipment weight, lift capacity, etc and know about the most comparable JD and like capabilities and construction. One big Kubota plus is that the smaller machines have cast steel axle and transmission cases unlike the aluminum found on the lower end JD units. Also no plastic fenders and hood on the Kubota.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Part of my job involved purchasing equipment and tools and some vehicles. Another was renting same when our work load required more equipment than we owned. The receptionist was pretty good at screening calls, but some managed to get through.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Tractor plu is correct you have to sell your self first dosn't matter what your selling / If the Customer dosn't trust or like you IT DOSE NOT MATTER HOW GOOD THE PRODUCT / YOU'VE LOST THE SAIL