One Year Anniversary....And.....

flagcraig

Equipment
L2501, Loading, Mowing
Sep 12, 2017
Columbia, TN
I have had the L2501HST and Land Pride brush hog for one year now. It has 38 hours on it and I have done all the maintenance according to owners manual needed.

My problem is the brush hog is uneven now on the back of tractor. It is lower on the right side about 4". With the Land Pride lowered to the ground I have used wood blocks under it and tried to adjust the right side adjuster on 3 point hitch and it doesn't move while the implement is still attached to tractor.

Is my next step to take off the implement, adjust the right 3 point arm and then re-attach implement? I'm a little worried about disconnecting with it being uneven because the right side touches the ground and left side still in the air when lowered. I have never taken this implement off since new.

Is this something that is normal when using a brush hog? Ground is mostly flat but somewhat bumpy.

Thanks for help. I've looked for videos on this particular subject but didn't see any.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Measure left non adjustable life rod on tractor (I measure from top of bottom pin to middle of upper pin), measure from same spots on right adjustable lift rod. If they are different, if you block the front of the brush hog fo take the weight off the bottom links, loosen the lock nut on the adjustable rod, you should be able to adjust it with your hands. Usually the only way the adjustable rod will change while running tractor is if lock nut was not secured snug. If both lift rods were same length when you first measured, I would check tire air pressure (sounds stupid but some people that thought they had tweaked front end loaders (one side higher than other) it was corrected with air pressure in the tires being off). Next check for bent lower three point links on tractor. If all that is good, check to see if brush hog has tweaked 3pt hitch frame.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
It may also help to post a couple of pictures from different angles, a good picture is worth a 1000 words.

Lot of knowledge here with your problem description a some pics someone will have the answer.

flagcraig

Equipment
L2501, Loading, Mowing
Sep 12, 2017
Columbia, TN
It may also help to post a couple of pictures from different angles, a good picture is worth a 1000 words.

Lot of knowledge here with your problem description a some pics someone will have the answer.
Yeah I meant to take pictures but rushed out today to go to work. Will add pictures.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Since your rig is only a year old and assuming you havent got hung up going across a gully, you should be able to check what WGATOR has mentioned. Air pressure,, ETC.

I only had a little height difference on my 2501, and remedied by parking on a flat concrete slab, then was able to unjam the lock nut pretty easy--(double check thread direction), and then with a little oil on the thread, back the adjustor off until it was level with the other side.

Keeping grease in the turnbuckle/adjustor sleeve should make it easier next time...

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’ve had that issue with mine,even though I know I tighten the lock nut on the adjuster it still comes loose sometimes when it’s real rough ground,I wondered if it’s supposed to have a lock nut on the top and bottom of the adjuster,mine only has one on the top,but if you do need to unhook it then you can set some 2x4s under each side of it,set the mower down until the low side touches and u can get the pin out,then lower it mower til the other side sets down

flagcraig

Equipment
L2501, Loading, Mowing
Sep 12, 2017
Columbia, TN
Here are a couple of pictures. I tried the blocks under right side to level it but still could not get the adjuster on right arm to move. I'm thinking about putting a tire wheel under it to get it even higher to relieve more pressure on right side and then try again.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
There sure are A LOT of threads showing on the adjuster in the second picture. Seems like it has moved with the vibrations.

flagcraig

Equipment
L2501, Loading, Mowing
Sep 12, 2017
Columbia, TN
This has definitely been my rookie season. We are learning each time out.

This weekend I will attempt to level it using blocks, tires or whatever it takes to hold it in the air and adjust.

My last option will be to take it off the three point hitch then re-install.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you can just set the right side down on a block and pull the pin out for the mower then the adjuster should move easily,if it’s never been off then things could be rusted together

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm not intending to be a smart azz, but have you released the stop nut on the top of the adjuster on the right side to allow it to turn?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm not intending to be a smart azz, but have you released the stop nut on the top of the adjuster on the right side to allow it to turn?
From the pics it looks like it’s already loose lol,I don’t mean to be smart azz either

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The bottom part of the link seems to be out way farther then the top half just from looking at the pics,I would think he needs to undo the link front the lift arm and thread the bottom part into the adjuster

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If I'm not mistaken I think you need to turn that nut clockwise towards the turnbuckle to loosen it. If it's real tight you might have to put a pipe wrench on it or take it off completely and put is in a vice to break it loose.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You have a one year old mower so I doubt rust is an issue.

Fordtech's eyes and computer must be much better than mine. It sure looks to me like there is a stop nut setting on the top of the right side turnbuckle.

Loosen the stop nut, or at least make sure it is not touching the turnbuckle. Let the mower all the way to the ground. Then turn the turnbuckle so it shortens the amount of exposed threads. (Sometimes it's easier to start the tractor and lift the mower and set it right back down to get some slack in the threads.) After this adjustment you will soon have a level mower.

Might put some Fluid Film, PB Blaster, Silicone lube or something similar on the threads before you start turning the turnbuckle then the threads will be protected (from rust) in the future.

Be sure to set the lock nut tight when you get it level.

flagcraig

Equipment
L2501, Loading, Mowing
Sep 12, 2017
Columbia, TN
Once I lower the brush hog to ground level.....what do you think about raising the right side (to try and loosen tension on adjuster) with a floor jack?
I've done the wood blocks and it didn't work. But that's not to say I did it correctly.
I'll have some muscle help this weekend so we can unhook and hook entire brush hog if necessary.
Sometimes I over think things.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have run the side link all the way down (and it looks like it) it's probably stuck on the stops (roll pin inside of it).
You might need to get a wrench on it and turn it to the left to free it up. ;)

Yes you can put a jack under it but blocking it will take the pressure off of it just as easily.

Last edited:

flagcraig

Equipment
L2501, Loading, Mowing
Sep 12, 2017
Columbia, TN
If you have run the side link all the way down (and it looks like it) it's probably stuck on the stops (roll pin inside of it).
You might need to get a wrench on it and turn it to the left to free it up. ;)

Yes you can put a jack under it but blocking it will take the pressure off of it just as easily.
Mr. Wolfman,

If I have to put a wrench on it, where would I put the wrench? The part that is suppose to adjust by hand is smooth. I have attached a pic.
I am hoping it doesn't get to this point (wrench) after I do all the raising and leveling with blocks and/or taking off that arm of three point.
I tend to overthink things sometimes.
Thanks for you help.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
See those little stubs of round steel sticking out of the turnbuckle? If you have a Crecent wrench with a hole in the handle (or any wrench with a small dia. hole on one end)....put the rod in the hole and use that wrench for leverage to turn the thing.