One more thing to piss you off

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Seems to be a consuming hobby out this way, kids smashing mail boxes...

What I did was I took a standard sized mail box and put it inside a large sized mailbox and filled the void around the 2 with mortar. That eliminated the smashing and the box is 'Postmaster Approved' so I'm good now.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
One of my first welding projects as a kid. My grandfather was "fixing" the mailbox for the lady on the corner. Her mailbox was a popular target.

We used a piece of 9" well casing sliced in half for the top, and some 1/4" flat stock for the sides and bottom.

This was welded to 9" piece of well casing and buried at least 5' in the ground with a lot of cement.

The lady painted it pink and painted flowers all over it.

It has been his many many times through the years, it has never been replaced.

Reactions: 1 user

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I've always been curious about those mailboxes. How come you never hear of them being robbed? I mean, it has to be easier than robbing a licquor store or whatever. And so many of them seem to be out of sight of the houses they belong to.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've always been curious about those mailboxes. How come you never hear of them being robbed? I mean, it has to be easier than robbing a licquor store or whatever. And so many of them seem to be out of sight of the houses they belong to.
I was a letter carrier for years and before direct deposit 99.9% of cheques delivered were welfare or old age, really nothing of much value that I knew of. That being said I had a guy working next to me, 4 of us in one aisle at the time and before I got to work he always had my parcels and priorities and registers picked up for me. Dang, I thought he was one of the best guys I've ever met. Turns out he was stealing cd's, razors and anything else he thought he could pawn for a couple bucks. Security knew after so many complaints one of us or more were stealing so they set us all up and followed us on our walks for a certain amount of time and none of us knew. Not a great feeling when the truth finally came out. How many times were we picking or scratchin when we thought we were alone? Turns out he was also stealing nickels out of the readers digest or what ever it was way back in the day. People never fail to amaze me. That being said over 20 some years working he was only one of a couple that I knew of that ever got caught. I will admit it was quite an eye opener as I tend to like everyone and would never suspect anyone of something so mean.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
We lived in a small community at our last place that had a single area for all member mailboxes. There were approx 25 individual mailboxes all placed in a row (fence) to make it easy on the post office driver. Well, the postal carrier would always mix up my mail. i would have to hunt for my mail in other boxes and she would constantly place someone else's mail in my box.

My solution was quite simple. I installed one of these, perched on a post higher than all other surrounding mailboxes. The mail delivery driver never messed up my mail after that.

rooster mailbox.JPG

The other reason for going this route was to peeve off all the other members (who I'd had run-ins with in the past). I figured they'd dislike my elevated box which stood proudly above all other mailboxes in the row. :p

The only issue I had was that someone was triggered and ripped the head off. It was found many months later in the bushes. Fortunately, one kind neighbor crafted a new rooster head for me out of aircraft aluminum and was hand painted just like the original. I thru bolted it to the box and its been there ever since.

I willed the mailbox to my mother that still lives in that small community when we sold our place. Her mail doesn't get messed up either.

Last edited:
  • Haha

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Could be wrong but I thought wanton destruction of a US Mail box was a Federal Felony. the one I built is even M100 proof. Last Haloween some kid put an M100 in it. Blew the door off (which I replaced) but didn't hurt the box itself.

I built one from 1/8" sheet steel for my rental next door and it has stood the test of time and mischief too.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, getting into someone else's mail including their mail box is a federal offense. Also the set height and offset from the road is regulated.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
All good ideas here and much appreciated. When the old wood post gets taken out I'll look at using a section of I-beam or well casing if I can find it. Around here they've switched to PVC for wells. I've been looking for a good reason to get a welder and play around. This may be it.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I remember reading about a guy who got tired of local kids using his mailbox for batting practice, so he made an incredibly strong one from structural steel. Some kid took a swing at it from the back of a pickup and when he hit, the bat rebounded violently and hit another kid in the head, killing him. Dead kids folks sued the mailbox owner, but thankfully they had a judge with some brains/guts who threw the suit out. The parents then sued the kid who swung the bat. Don't remember the outcome.
Me thinks that's what's wrong with society today. Not taking the time to teach our children right from wrong. At 70+ I know when growing up our parents stressed the golden rule, or YOU'D get the rule!
But sue people .... instead of taking responsibility for our actions. I'm sure the kids parents were angry, but to blame someone else. Maybe they should have looked inward.

Reactions: 3 users

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I had one mailbox bashed. Replaced it the heavy wall version. That one survived a drunk bending the 2" pipe over.

Thinking the next generation will be small box inside large box. Question is what to fill the gap between the boxes with. Flour, paint, ... ?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I like the concrete idea:
mailbox available space.jpg p65cnd1oqi041.jpg p8270076.jpg

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was a letter carrier for years and before direct deposit 99.9% of cheques delivered were welfare or old age, really nothing of much value that I knew of. That being said I had a guy working next to me, 4 of us in one aisle at the time and before I got to work he always had my parcels and priorities and registers picked up for me. Dang, I thought he was one of the best guys I've ever met. Turns out he was stealing cd's, razors and anything else he thought he could pawn for a couple bucks. Security knew after so many complaints one of us or more were stealing so they set us all up and followed us on our walks for a certain amount of time and none of us knew. Not a great feeling when the truth finally came out. How many times were we picking or scratchin when we thought we were alone? Turns out he was also stealing nickels out of the readers digest or what ever it was way back in the day. People never fail to amaze me. That being said over 20 some years working he was only one of a couple that I knew of that ever got caught. I will admit it was quite an eye opener as I tend to like everyone and would never suspect anyone of something so mean.
They had a carrier here that got busted and canned over junk mail. The guy wasn't delivering the junk mail inserts and fliers. As well as the obvious BS letters.

The issue was he collected it instead of disposing of it, and that's how he got canned. His house was full of those Thursday fliers for the different grocery and clothing stores in his house.

We can burn pretty much anytime unless it's extremely dry. And it was a wet year. So he could have burned it pretty much anytime.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
They had a carrier here that got busted and canned over junk mail. The guy wasn't delivering the junk mail inserts and fliers. As well as the obvious BS letters.

The issue was he collected it instead of disposing of it, and that's how he got canned. His house was full of those Thursday fliers for the different grocery and clothing stores in his house.

We can burn pretty much anytime unless it's extremely dry. And it was a wet year. So he could have burned it pretty much anytime.
Being that I hate a thief it's a big plus when they get caught.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
I wish my carrier took ALL my junk mail. On the other hand, I wouldn't get any mail.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Being that I hate a thief it's a big plus when they get caught.
In this case it was really really stupid. It was just the Thursday circulars. I think the reason he got busted was do to some old lady raising a huge fuss over not receiving her coupons. Me, well..... I never noticed 😂😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂😂🤣😂🤣😂

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My cousin got a fine for doing this, something about malicious intent something or another on the ticket. Cost his $475 and he had 24 hours to replace it or he'd get another ticket, another 24 hours, then arrested. That was in South Carolina in 1991 or 1992 maybe.
Curious who gave him the ticket. I assume it was from the Federal government, or was the state or local municipality involved? Sounds silly to me, being that people have rock, brick and all sorts of other weird mailboxes.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My cousin got a fine for doing this, something about malicious intent something or another on the ticket. Cost his $475 and he had 24 hours to replace it or he'd get another ticket, another 24 hours, then arrested. That was in South Carolina in 1991 or 1992 maybe.
That's just wrong!

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Curious who gave him the ticket. I assume it was from the Federal government, or was the state or local municipality involved? Sounds silly to me, being that people have rock, brick and all sorts of other weird mailboxes.
My understanding is the municipality (city hall) received the complaint, it was a state trooper accompanied by a city cop that showed up to issue the citation and "explain" what could go wrong for him in the future.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Sounds like the boys were on a bit of a power trip although I don't know the whole story. A warning first if not dealt with then a ticket however I'm a firm believer that people have a right to protect what's theirs. If you hit a mail box and do harm to your vehicle then you obviously weren't paying attention and it could could have been a child or a dog they hit, If they get hurt trying to do harm to a persons property then good, you deserve what you get.