West Mansfield, OH
Not sure how this is fun
E23BAE16-6647-4D66-991D-AE56F78A0503.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
They need to get their arses back to school to give them something to do.

Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Yeah, it never crossed my mind to do that when I was younger.

Take that as a challenge the way I look at it. Buy one of those normal looking mailboxes made of thick steel. Or look around on the internet for some great ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Here's one I made for a customer a while ago. A sugar house (in stainless of course). 20151218_124015 mail box.jpg

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I ordered up a thick steel one. Probably break the post when they hit it next time. May add some internal bracing just to piss them off more. Sadly with the sorghum planted in the front I can’t see the road to watch for the little turds. Oh well the box was 9 bucks. Replacement is a bit more. Still, what happened to respecting others property?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Still, what happened to respecting others property?

in the Liberal World, what's yours is mine...what's mine is mine...

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I know someone who filled mailbox with concrete.... The next time the kids drove by with a baseball bat, the bat bounced back and smashed the glass on the car.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh John.

I used to think you were a nice guy until I saw the language in your title....:eek:

Then I saw your picture....

At 6'4" and 240, I'd like to shake the little fu%&ers until he/they couldn't hold a fart.....

That kind of shyt pisses me off too.....this afternoon, I had to pick up umpteen pieces of trash trimming in my 800 foot front ditch because people just throw out fast-food containers, dirty napkins, diapers, etc....GRRRRR :mad:

Oh wait, that was my "out-loud" keyboard....and my language was worse than yours.....:eek::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Im on my 5th mailbox in 3 years out here. I live on a very narrow section of the highway though and there is usually a broke off mirror in the ditch to go with it. I buy the cheapest ones I can.

You have to be careful with reinforcing your mailbox, it has to be able to bend or break. If somebody accidentally hits it and gets hurt or worse you can be held liable for it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I found a end piece for the guard rails you know the ones that curve around on the end. Had to spring it out a bit to make the box fit and the flag go up. You could hear them whomp it after a few times they didnt bother.
And RCW I hear you,, I go along Sunday morning and pick trash along the road in front of my place as well. And I get a little pizzy ,but some times you find interesting stuff. I have found NEW CD's, not my kind of music, as well as full cans of adult beverages, and when they use to rent the place up the road out for weddings more than once full uncorked bottles of wine. But like you mostly garbage, although it goes through a period , mostly in the late summer before collage gets into full swing, there there is an assortment of ladies finery. My wife use to ask me what I found when I came back up to the house to dump the trash. One day she looked in the trash bag and said someone lost a hundred bucks worth of VS bras and panties, all I could think was that lucky bugger!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Between stupid kids and snow plows driving 40 mph I gave up after 3 mailboxes and made one with a foundation, out of masonry block, wrapped with decorative stone. The 3rd time it was taken out by a driver 'drifing'... wtf? We walk the dog down the same road twice a day, pretty scary.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Probably about 20 years ago, I went out on Sunday morning to get the paper and saw my mailbox ripped off and the 6" I-beam it was mounted on shoved most of the way out of the ground. There was a lot of broken plastic near it and a trail of fluid leading up the road to the north. You could see the tire tracks in the grass, as he slowly drifted off the road and hit the box/beam almost dead center. The beam was driven into the ground about 2 1/2 feet, so whatever hit it suffered pretty serious damage.
Called the cops and they came out, looked at the pieces and thought it was a Chrysler/Dodge K-car of some sort. Found the car about two miles away abandoned, mucho front end damage. They ran the plate and it belonged to a kid around the corner to the southeast. Went to visit him and his brother admitted he took the car while his brother was gone. They made nim come over and apologize and pay me for the mailbox. He was pretty timid and embarrassed about it. I heard later from a friend that knew the family that the car was totaled.
Been thinking about replacing the rusty old beam with a piece of 4" - 1/4" wall steel tube and a new mounting plate for the mailbox. I'll put it at least the same depth as the beam, maybe a little deeper, since I have 8 feet of the tubing. Might even paint it Kubota Orange, so it's more visible.

• Haha

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I have wondered why no one made mailbox from PVC pipe. It seems to me that would weather well and would take more than a baseball bat. Know buying the pipe and fittings would be costly but a neat setup.

I have also known a person take a mail box and filled with concrete and placed it first with his mail box behind it. But the warning of possibly being liable have been told is true.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have wondered why no one made mailbox from PVC pipe. It seems to me that would weather well and would take more than a baseball bat. Know buying the pipe and fittings would be costly but a neat setup.
Back in the early 70's I made a T-shaped post from 4" Sch 40 PVC. I think I used a hole saw in the bottom of the horizontal piece to accept the post. Reinforced it and covered the joint with Bondo. Spray bomb silver and it looked like someone fabbed it from steel pipe. It lasted several years and then a snowplow hit it and scattered the brittle pieces.

A bud of mine had trouble with vandals. He bought a super heavy steel replacement. It actually has grease zerks on the hinge. No problems since he replaced it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I remember reading about a guy who got tired of local kids using his mailbox for batting practice, so he made an incredibly strong one from structural steel. Some kid took a swing at it from the back of a pickup and when he hit, the bat rebounded violently and hit another kid in the head, killing him. Dead kids folks sued the mailbox owner, but thankfully they had a judge with some brains/guts who threw the suit out. The parents then sued the kid who swung the bat. Don't remember the outcome.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A neighbour I once had got tired of replacing mail boxes and posts. So he set the post well back in the ditch and mounted the box on a beam centred over the post.

The beam had a heavy counterweight and the thing was mounted on a self-centering swivel. If anyone hit the mailbox it just spun on the swivel so the counterweight hit back.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
They came directly down over the top with one of those posts the highway dept uses to mark culverts around here. Pretty distinct inch wide depression in the top of the box and you can see where they tore the post out of the ground. Let the highway dept know they were missing a post and sign. Neighbor kid is on the HS football team and his dad is one of the coaches. Seeing mine is the only box on our road damaged and it lines up with their house on the shared drive, I'm thinking it was a message for them that got delivered to the wrong address.

On the positive side, it gives me a reason to load tools up on the Orange and head up there to fix it. May need a cigar for this project as well

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I know someone who filled mailbox with concrete.... The next time the kids drove by with a baseball bat, the bat bounced back and smashed the glass on the car.
The only issue is in today's sue happy world, you can possibly be held liable for damages if someone gets hurt or it causes a wreck.

They don't allow for Darwinism anymore.

I too know someone who did the same back in the 90's. It was my former boss. We were working outside the office and had a car come by and heard a metal clang then something metal hit the ground bouncing. They smoked a concrete filled mailbox with an aluminum bat 😜🤪😜🤪😜😜 That probably rattled all the way down to the kids toes.

Glassman13

Jan 26, 2017
Amherst Ohio
I had the perfect setup for this type of behavior so i mounted an unused plastic box, newspaper, right next to the original box and this stopped that issue!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I had to get rid of my mail box and go to a community mail box a few miles down the road. Yea the kids had a go at it a few time but the irate older guys started ripping it out of the ground and throwing it in the woods when they couldn't get past my road block in the spring when they wanted to come in to go fishing.