Oil spray by FEL hookups BX23

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
So I was looking over my tractor, and noticed oil residue all around the area where the hydraulic mounts are for the FEL on the right side. Assuming it’s hydraulic related, I inspected all hoses and fittings but can’t seem to find a problem. But, what I did notice is the bottom side of the manifold where the hoses connect, I see exposed threads and washers that are “loose” on 2 or 3 out of the 4 hookups. Is my problem related to the under side fittings? I’m not sure exactly how it is designed. I can send a picture if my description is unclear.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Unhook it wipe everything down and reattach it. You should be good to go. Same has happened to me twice in 4 years! You can try to snug those connections. Mine looked like they were loose like yours but they were tight! Try to stay close enough when you reattach that the coupler and base are parallel to each other.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
Unhook it wipe everything down and reattach it. You should be good to go. Same has happened to me twice in 4 years! You can try to snug those connections. Mine looked like they were loose like yours but they were tight! Try to stay close enough when you reattach that the coupler and base are parallel to each other.
Ok I will check that out. I have yet to ever disconnect the FEL. Where would the oil residue be coming from?

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
It's coming from the crappily designed quick attach hydraulics. It's a known problem. Many have been repaired/replaced under warranty only to have it happen again. Lots of us have replaced the upper connection with individual flat face couplers.
IMG_2626.JPG

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
It's coming from the crappily designed quick attach hydraulics. It's a known problem. Many have been repaired/replaced under warranty only to have it happen again. Lots of us have replaced the upper connection with individual flat face couplers. View attachment 71253
Thank you. Has there ever been a pressure loss associated with it?

The ones who went with flat face connectors, I assume they eliminate the mounting block that is pictured? And went hose to hose?

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Thank you. Has there ever been a pressure loss associated with it?

The ones who went with flat face connectors, I assume they eliminate the mounting block that is pictured? And went hose to hose?
The female upper mount is replaced with four, individual, flat face, female couplers. The lower, male mount is not changed in any way.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
SteveBX23 you got your first drip off of the quick coupler and your gonna change all the fittings?:rolleyes:
REALLY it may be as simple as removing wipe it off and reattaching the quick coupler. Many had problems with these but many have also had years of trouble free use. Try the simple stuff first before these guys spend all your money.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
SteveBX23 you got your first drip off of the quick coupler and your gonna change all the fittings?:rolleyes:
REALLY it may be as simple as removing wipe it off and reattaching the quick coupler. Many had problems with these but many have also had years of trouble free use. Try the simple stuff first before these guys spend all your money.
Haha no, not going straight to the bank with it yet. Gathering information. I am going to unhook it, wipe it down, and reinstall tomorrow. Thanks for your help

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Clean it thoroughly, remove all drips, residue. I would reconnect nothing at this point…want to know where the leak is coming from.

Start machine, check. NOthing, actuate just 1 function (say arms up but no curl). Check. Same for other functions. Try and isolate it.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
Clean it thoroughly, remove all drips, residue. I would reconnect nothing at this point…want to know where the leak is coming from.

Start machine, check. NOthing, actuate just 1 function (say arms up but no curl). Check. Same for other functions. Try and isolate it.
Working on it today. And I would assume, where there is oil, there must be a pressure loss, right? Even though slight, it could be a problem as well

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Not really. A drip is a drip. You would have to loose a lot of fluid before you would notice a pressure loss.

just a word of caution, when working with hydraulics and checking for leaks that are spraying use a piece of wood to find it. I know on aircraft we would carry a wooden ruler to swipe around with. A small pin hole at a few thousand PSI will cut it in half quickly.

Working on it today. And I would assume, where there is oil, there must be a pressure loss, right? Even though slight, it could be a problem as well

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Not really. A drip is a drip. You would have to loose a lot of fluid before you would notice a pressure loss.

just a word of caution, when working with hydraulics and checking for leaks that are spraying use a piece of wood to find it. I know on aircraft we would carry a wooden ruler to swipe around with. A small pin hole at a few thousand PSI will cut it in half quickly.
Yes forgot to mention.

Heavy gloves, eye protection, and if the machine is powered use a stick to try and detect. A pinhole in the rubber hose is dangerous. A drip from a metal junction obviously isnt.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
It's coming from the crappily designed quick attach hydraulics.
Lots of us have replaced the upper connection with individual flat face couplers.
Instead of flat faced couplers, I used Pioneer couplers (same as a snow plow would use.)

They were MUCH cheaper.
since the switch, I have had NO leaks or problems.

The stock Kubota quick connector is garbage.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
110 hours with flat-faced couplers, and not so much as a single drop of hydraulic fluid. Is it that not all Kubotas are built alike?

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
500 hours on mine and still working fine. During the summer I remove the FEL twice a week to mow. I do wipe it clean of any dirt every time I rehook.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
110 hours with flat-faced couplers, and not so much as a single drop of hydraulic fluid. Is it that not all Kubotas are built alike?
It's not the flat faced couplers.... it's the quick connect manifold.

it's been documented many times.... But of course there will always be folks that never have a problem.

everything is fine until it's not.

If you do the conversion and eliminate the quick connect, flat faced or pioneers will work fine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
that manifold is a stupid setup.

Kubota even admitted to it and attempted to fix it a couple times.

In order to properly repair, they would have had to completely redesign the connection(s) and I don't think they were willing to do that.

it along with the easy-over deck is not something I would ever though Kubota was mass produce; it was nothing more the a marketing ploy to compete with Deere.

Reactions: 1 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
500 hours on mine and still working fine. During the summer I remove the FEL twice a week to mow. I do wipe it clean of any dirt every time I rehook.
Took mine off for the first time, wiped it down real good, connections were nice and clean when reattaching the FEL. Don’t see anything so far. Machine has 130hrs now when I took it off for the first time

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You eliminated the manifold?
No, mine is 100% original as Kubota built it. I just haven't had a problem with leaks, but I can't tell you why others have. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration such as the number of duty cycles, etc. I had some issues with my old BX22 that seemed to plague it on a regular basis that very few other people had experienced with couplers coming apart while working the tractor. I never resolved the issue, but it wasn't that bad that it caused me to lose sleep. I could have changed the couplers, but never got around to it.