Oil problem

Brent Moniot

Equipment
BX22
Sep 16, 2015
dickson,tn
I was changing the oil on my BX22. When I removed the oil filter no oil came out of it and when I looked inside, it was clean. So I'm not getting any oil through the filter. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Brent

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did you run the engine before changing the oil?

If the motor has been sitting for awhile, any extra oil under pressure will drain back into the oil pan. So when the filter is removed, very little if any will drain out. Easiest way to check the oil pump, is to bump the motor over with out starting. Make sure a bucket is underneath the filter base. Oil should flow out the nipple.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was changing the oil on my BX22. When I removed the oil filter no oil came out of it and when I looked inside, it was clean. So I'm not getting any oil through the filter. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Brent
that my friend is strange......
should have some in it below the center line.......

would you say clean as in NEVER had oil in it?

how much oil came out when you drained? more or less the right amount?
was it "clean" or rather dirty?

I would place a new filter on - fill with oil, turn key on to light the dash and SEE THE OIL light lit.......turn to preheat, and the fire up - you should STILL have the oil light on for about 2 seconds.......

now many will say that you should fill the oil filter UP with oil before you place it on .....that IS true - but on a sideways filter, it is a messy pain in the ars.
Hell - I will end up throwing half the oil in the filter on the machine, cuss like a sailor then really get pissed!:D:)

but if you do fill filter - the oil light will go off quicker.....
those 2 seconds are the filter being filled up and the pressure getting up - I would make sure the machines oil sensor is working, cause if you are not filling up the filter via the pump.....well - that is gonna hurt getting to the pump and what not.:)

tell us what you find!;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Also if your not using a Kubota filter there has been know to be issues with the filter not allowing flow. ;)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Another poster in this string mentions how messy it can be to fill a filter with oil and then install it onto a sideways fitting.

I've not had this problem doing the same thing.

I ALWAYS preload any and every screw-on type oil filter I use---engine oil or hydraulic. Can't hurt, might help the engine or system.

Be patient, take a moment, plan ahead.
Stand the filter upright, top 'up'.
Fill the filter to the point fluid puddles inside the O-ring gasket.
Wait at least 15-minutes, maybe a bit longer if cold weather.
Pick filter up, turn it upside down, nothing drips out.
Smear oil on the O-ring gasket and install in any position.

The most I've had to do is wipe the filter's outer can where a bit of oil slopped outside the O-ring gasket or the gasket drips a drop or two.

The key is 'waiting' after loading the filter.
Let the element adsorb the oil onto its surface and into its matrix.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Brent Moniot

Equipment
BX22
Sep 16, 2015
dickson,tn
No. I did not run the engine before changing the oil.
The drained oil was filthy black.
Yes. The filter looked like it never had oil in it.
It was a brand new Kubota filter.
More or less the right amount of oil came out the oil pan.
I will try and check the oil pump.
Thanks for the replies.
Brent

Brent Moniot

Equipment
BX22
Sep 16, 2015
dickson,tn
No, it's not the first oil change. It has 714 hrs on it. I bought it with about 350 hrs on it and this is the third oil change I've done. All other oil changes were fine. The last one had dirty black oil also. I change the oil about every 100 hrs.
Brent Moniot