Odd noise at start up on B7100 HST-D

wilburn cox

Equipment
B7100 tractor, FL1000 tiller, box blade, shredder
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
My B7100 HST-D has never had a real problem, however, when I started it up this morning it had a very unusual and weird sound. The sound was like a water pump going out but, of course, there is no water pump on this tractor. I immediately shut it down and looked the engine over. I could not see any problem and checked the fan belt. No problem with the belt so started it up again and after a few minutes/seconds the sound subsided. I used the tractor for about 3 hours mowing and had no problem.
I have no idea what the problem was but it concerns me. Could it be a bearing going out in an idler pulley? I have a mechanics stethoscope and if the noise returns I might try locating it in this manner.
Any suggestions and help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance and all have a great day.
Wilburn "Red" Cox

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Possible idler pulley bearing, but more likely the dynamo bearings.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Red,

check the dyno ......reach down (machine off!!:)) and push and pull on it.....
move ANY? Should be tight as a drum:)

lil foot beat me to it:)

and on a 3rd edit......I bet it IS the idler pulley!

Last edited:

wilburn cox

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
Red,

check the dyno ......reach down (machine off!!:)) and push and pull on it.....
move ANY? Should be tight as a drum:)

lil foot beat me to it:)

and on a 3rd edit......I beat it IS the idler pulley!
thanks Hokie, Did you mean push and pull on the dyno or the belt? I will try this and hope it is not the dyno because I know nothing about those things. Hope it is the pulley. Thanks for the quick reply and have a fun day. "Red"

wilburn cox

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
Possible idler pulley bearing, but more likely the dynamo bearings.
Thanks Lil foot. I am hoping for a pulley bearing because as I replied to Hokie, I know nothing about the dynamo or how difficult to work on one. I love our forum and sincerely appreciate all the assistance we all receive from it. Helps a bunch. "Red"

wilburn cox

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
You probably had some mud dobbers building a nest and you disrupted their project!
Thanks D2Cat; Odd about your Quote. I just hung up the phone with a dear friend of mine and he said exactly the same thing about mud dobbers. Yes I have those critters around but don't understand how they could cause that sort of noise. Do you mean on the fan blade or some where? I just called the friend back and told him what your wrote. he said 2 old farm boys thinking alike. Have a good one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, I can tell you I turned on my bench grinder to dress a putty knife and a terrible racket and suddenly a bullet of mud came flying out. I had used that thing just a couple of days earlier. They're quick workers. Two days later and there was another one!

On your tractor they could attach to any pulley, or anything else that rotates, and it would clear after a few RPMS.

I need some mud dobber traps!!:D

Viscount

Equipment
B7001D
Aug 29, 2018
Rye UK
With my current problems with the same machine could it be that the starter motor isn't disengaging from the flywheel as quickly as it should be?

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Mine will squeal like a bad bearing but it is the hydraulic pump. The 3 pt bleeds down and something not adjusted right so if I raise it right away the sound goes away. Could be your Hydraulic pump, maybe.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Don't worry about dealing with the dynamo as it is absolutely simple.

Since you don't have a water pump and the V belt and dynamo are only for charging the battery, try starting and running the tractor with the V belt off.

If there is no noise it will tell you a great deal.

Dave