Not another B vs. L Thread

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
I know, I know. I've read through most of the like threads on this discussion and have picked up a bunch of good feedback. Most of the members asking about these two classes are in northern areas, or, rather, areas that actually have winter. I'm in central Florida, so snow moving and snowy conditions are nowhere near my list of considerations. I'm stuck between the L2501 HST and B2650 with 60" QA Bucket, Landpride finish mower and 6' box blade, both 4wd.

I'm closing on a 3 acre piece of flat land, all bahia grass with the exception of a couple trees which will stay. We own a residential construction company and will be building our own house, errrrr compound, in two phases. I want to obviously (finish) mow the 3 acres routinely as well as do my site prep and pad, build my 200' gravel drive, move lumber packages and building materials around, and generally maintain the job site during construction. We'll be doing light landscaping and average homeowner tasks after that. Not transporting or moving fire wood, rocks, hay, or anything like that. The "wife unit" will be doing most of the mowing. I'll be the ground guy and doing the loader work, so her level of comfort will be a consideration. I haven't had the chance to get her on them yet due to our schedules. That might make my decision for me.

I know the B will grant me a bit more maneuverability and spacial gains but will lose the bulk one expects out of a real tractor. Operating weight, loader capacity mainly.

Basically, I need somebody to tell me that I won't want the L. It will be my only mower, I don't want to tear up my yard, but I also don't want to need more tractor later. I will also need to be able to haul it in town with my 2015 Silverado 1500.

I'm trying to simplify the question. Physical size wise, the B2650 is all I NEED. Hell, all I NEED is a BX, but I know better. I do not want to regret my decision.

Is the L too big, heavy, aggressive for these tasks on this size property?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the novel!

First post, btw.

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
the L doesn't have a mm mower available.
unless you go up to, the grand L.

if your land is sandy, you may be able to use a larger bucket on the B, but my B3350 had trouble filling on the first scoop, until i had the hydraulic pressure raised, staying within factory limits.

the B will be less stable due to being narrower and lighter.
that same thing will cause less damage to a lawn..

i down sized from a L to a B to get a smaller tractor with a cab and a mm finish mower. all of the other equipment i have, except the loader, i am able to use. just somewhat slower. i can't lift as high or as much weight.

the B's cab is nice when its hot and humid.

and last but not least, the B is lower priced.

oh and i would go for the R4 tires or turf. to save the lawn. if using the loader a lot, the R4's are the ticket.
i had ag's on my L and they make a lumpy lawn.. rough cut mower didn't help any.. either..

hope this note helps..

Last edited:

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
the L doesn't have a mm mower available.
unless you go up to, the grand L.

if your land is sandy, you may be able to use a larger bucket on the B, but my B3350 had trouble filling on the first scoop, until i had the hydraulic pressure raised, staying within factory limits.

the B will be less stable due to being narrower and lighter.
that same thing will cause less damage to a lawn..

i down sized from a L to a B to get a smaller tractor with a cab and a mm finish mower. all of the other equipment i have, except the loader, i am able to use. just somewhat slower. i can't lift as high or as much weight.

the B's cab is nice when its hot and humid.

and last but not least, the B is lower priced.

hope this note helps..
Thank you for the input! At first, I was sold on a MMM but with the on and off expected between mowing, I like the idea of a pull behind for ease of implement change. Also, it is a bit cheaper than the MMM.

It's not overly sandy, however, during construction it will be a lot of fill dirt being moved around.

I've ignored the cab option simply for cost and because quite honestly for my needs it seems a bit overkill in terms of luxury!

based on my local dealer's quick estimate, the L2501 is going to come in about $1200 cheaper than the B2650. Thats fine and dandy but I just don't want to make the wrong choice, even if I need to spend another $1200.

In your experience having downsized, do you notice the B being a bit more friendly to the ground than the big ole L? I have considered turf tires for that reason and it's not like I'll be maintaining a golf course, you know?

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I suspect you could be happy with either one. That said I really liked the new L2501 I saw earlier this year. A little larger than the lawnmower looking tractors it still seems so much updated and easier to maneuver in and out of the operator station than my 1989 L2050. I think the loader is also larger and more capable and something to really consider. Never used a B or BX for that matter. Their owners sure seem to love'm.

Nice problem to have. :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Will you be using the tractor on your other projects since you're a contractor?

If so, I'd get the tractor you need for your jobs, then buy a nice used zero turn to mow with.

No matter what you decide, you can very seldom fill the needs of perfect tractor usage verses cost with one machine.

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
I suspect you could be happy with either one. That said I really liked the new L2501 I saw earlier this year. A little larger than the lawnmower looking tractors it still seems so much updated and easier to maneuver in and out of the operator station than my 1989 L2050. I think the loader is also larger and more capable and something to really consider. Never used a B or BX for that matter. Their owners sure seem to love'm.

Nice problem to have. :)
First world problems, I suppose!

I've been trying to evaluate the source of my feelings regarding this dilemma and I think the fact is, like you said, either will suffice. I couldn't bring myself to buy a new F150 when I was truck shopping a year ago because it's a V6. Ain't no truck with a V6 in it! Ain't no tractor if it looks like a lawn mower! Might just be a matter of principle....and interest lol!

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
Will you be using the tractor on your other projects since you're a contractor?

If so, I'd get the tractor you need for your jobs, then buy a nice used zero turn to mow with.

No matter what you decide, you can very seldom fill the needs of perfect tractor usage verses cost with one machine.
That's a valid point. I don't know if you're familiar with The Villages, Florida. 80-90% of my work is residential remodeling in The Villages. It is the Disney world of retirement, best I can describe it. High volume houses, all manicured to a T, with lawns that I do not want to replace in favor of getting to use the tractor. I called in my tractor guy on a job recently to remove some busted up slab and chunks of the footer that we just didn't have the time or manpower to move manually. It ended up costing more time and money to repair the lawn, and it was just in and out, no turning or anything.

I'd love to be able to utilize it for "work" but it is a rare opportunity at this point. As we get back into new construction, I could either use the larger L series since there's no lawn to worry about or at that point justify a separate machine more suited to that purpose.

Can't always kill enough birds with one stone.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Thank you for the input! At first, I was sold on a MMM but with the on and off expected between mowing, I like the idea of a pull behind for ease of implement change. Also, it is a bit cheaper than the MMM.
The MMM doesn't need to be taken off when not being used or if the tractor is being used for other tasks. You can either pin it up so it doesn't drop when you use the 3 point, or do like I do 99% of the time and let it do its thing. Ill only pin it up if I'm doing dirt work and I need to drive over piles. But that's few and far between.

I started off with a 3 point finish mower and was very dissatisfied with the quality of the cut. It was a rear discharge mower and it left the clippings behind it like I was chopping hay. Nice and windrowed, not spread out. So when I decided to purchase a new tractor, getting one with the ability to have a mmm was a deciding factor. BUT, if you are set on a 3 point finish mower, go with more tractor.

But there is a reason the rear finish mowers are cheaper..... Not to mention, having the mmm would help in resale...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Go drive both of them and see how they sound and feel. I have been looking at b2650's for a snowblower, and there was an L2501 parked near the one I was trying, and seemed about the same size to me, but width might be important for what you do. The hydro whine is an issue, so see which one is quieter or if you want to go to a gear driven type. The 2650 only comes in hst. That hydro whine will matter to your wife if she spends a lot of time mowing. Ok as long as she doesn't mind wearing ear muffs. I like the FEL hydraulics on the 2650, smooth easy to control. Have fun!

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
But there is a reason the rear finish mowers are cheaper..... Not to mention, having the mmm would help in resale...
Unanticipated advice, here. Thank you. I had figured the best practice would be to remove the MMM for loader work or grading. But if it is not an issue, that is an important detail. My property doesn't have many, if any obstacles at all. Hmmmm

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Unanticipated advice, here. Thank you. I had figured the best practice would be to remove the MMM for loader work or grading. But if it is not an issue, that is an important detail. My property doesn't have many, if any obstacles at all. Hmmmm
Mine hasn't come off all year and I split and haul firewood, spread 200 tons of crushed asphalt, load "junk" into the dump trailer, move various stuff around the yard.... Thats just this year.

Itll come off for the winter... But that's it. Not to say there might be times where it would be prudent to remove it for a given task.... But even then, takes less than a couple minutes to unhook it and slide it out.

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
Go drive both of them and see how they sound and feel. I have been looking at b2650's for a snowblower, and there was an L2501 parked near the one I was trying, and seemed about the same size to me, but width might be important for what you do. The hydro whine is an issue, so see which one is quieter or if you want to go to a gear driven type. The 2650 only comes in hst. That hydro whine will matter to your wife if she spends a lot of time mowing. Ok as long as she doesn't mind wearing ear muffs. I like the FEL hydraulics on the 2650, smooth easy to control. Have fun!
Fun is the word!! I've wanted an orange tractor since I was a kid. I know I'm not alone!

I've driven both and only got to play with the loader on the L2501. The dealer didn't have a 2650 with a loader. I did use the loader on the B2601 though. B is more maneuverable, less swing required with the bucket, less "intimidating." Trying to think from the wife's perspective. I also think she'll happily trade ear muffs for not having to dealing with anything clutch or gear related.

I should buy the 2650 but I WANT the L2501!!

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
The only reason I bought a B2650 was to have the ability to use the mid PTO. If you have no need for the mid PTO, then get an L. Many times you can actually get into an L cheaper than a B because it doesn't have the mid PTO. Especially if you find a dealer with a package deal.

As far as weight goes I have R4 tires that are loaded and typically have something hanging off the rear and no issues with damaging the lawn. If it's wet out, that's a different story but I would think that would be any tractor, BX included.

I am a fan of a zero turn for mowing, but that's also because I bag about an acre worth of my yard and the Kubota PTO bagger system is big and clumsy. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We own stuff from 22 to 85HP and own MMM as well as RFM. My choice would be the B2650 for a bit better maneuverability with MMM, independent PTO, extendable lower lift links, adjustable stabilizer bars over turnbuckles, tilt steering; just overall nicer machine of the right size.

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
We own stuff from 22 to 85HP and own MMM as well as RFM. My choice would be the B2650 for a bit better maneuverability with MMM, independent PTO, extendable lower lift links, adjustable stabilizer bars over turnbuckles, tilt steering; just overall nicer machine of the right size.
Thank you for the input. I didn't realize the upgraded 3pt hitch is factory installed on the b2650? That's a nice addition. Talking with my lady and leaning back toward the B for ease of handling for lack of a better phrase. I may have a minor case of FOBO but I have a little time to think about it and study it a bit more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
The 2650 has the adjustable stabilizers but not the extendable links standard. They are an option.

sent from a field

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Agree. I love the B's. Perfect size for mowing and able to take on the big jobs. And the B2650 has a lot of really nice premium features.

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
Y'all are costing me more moneyyyy!!!

But in all seriousness, this is a big decision, but I am leaning back toward the B2650 with MMM. I think overall it will fit us better and I have no concerns about the lady being able to safely operate it and take some of the work off of me.

Now, if only my local dealer would open on Sunday!!

Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
From what you are describing I would go along with what most are saying and go with the B2650. The operator platform is alot more comfortable with walk thru deck and tilt steering wheel as Triple R said. I love the mmm also and it mows golf course quality with no lines or streaks. And as eipo says you can pin it up to do other tasks or you can put in on or off in 2-3 minutes. I bought mine with turf tires due to the fact alot of my use was mowing also, but have never had any traction problems doing extensive loader and box blade work tilling and regrading over 2 acres of ground out back. I did not load the tires either to keep weight down in the spring mowing season. When doing heavy loader work I use the correct size ballast and have no trouble at all. I have over 400 hrs on mine in a little over a year and it has performed flawlessly.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
If it's in the budget, a decent zero turn mower would run circles around a tractor. If I was mowing 3 acres, I'd want to be done with it as quick as possible.