Newbie here needs advice between a L185DT & B2150

Munkle Dave

Equipment
B6000e for now but looking for a 4x4 tractor
Jan 8, 2015
Fargo ND
Ok so I'm looking to buy my first 4x4 tractor and I need advice. My choices are a very nice L185DT with the 2cyl (17hp) with 1745 hrs and a ok looking, not as nice B2150 with the 4cyl (24hp) but only has 854 hours and is a 1989 model. L185dt is $4k and the B2150 is $5700. I'm looking to use it to plow snow and I'd like to buy a tiller. So if someone can give me some pros & cons that would be great!!!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Some of the real world advantage between the two are:
The B2150 has more HP, less hour (which should mean less wear), better tire setup (normally much wider), better hydraulic system, better trans gearing, Power steering (if equipped), but with all those advantages mean more money to maintain as the systems are all more complicated than the L185.

Both are fairly easy to get any parts you might need to fix them if they have issues.

ADD EDIT:
RIDETOEAT, Great job with the spec sheets, but better to link to the original pages or as attachments that are much bigger and more legible, like this:
L185 Specs Here

B2150 Specs Here

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Any decent sized tiller and that 17hp is going to feel really thin, really fast. Snow removal, both can do, the smaller can do it more handily. Tilling, the higher hp the better.

Munkle Dave

Equipment
Jan 8, 2015
Fargo ND
That's the same info I found on the web (Tractor Data). But here's where I'm confused. If you compare the lifting (3 point) between the two, the L185 can lift twice as much as the larger B2150??? And according to the specs the L185 is wider than the more powerful B2150? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but neither of those 2 things make any sense to me.

Good input so far, keep it coming!

For what it's worth: these 2 tractors are at a dealer a long ways away so I can't just swing by and compare them. I'm driving there because I won a auction on a B6000 on auctiontime.com ($275!) My local dealers don't have the selection this guy does. Thanks again in advance!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Have you looked on Craigslist in your area for any private party sales? Just a thought... Dealers tend to be on the high side of pricing but cash is always king! How do you plan on moving snow? Do these tractor come with anything at that price?

Munkle Dave

Equipment
Jan 8, 2015
Fargo ND
Have you looked on Craigslist in your area for any private party sales? Just a thought... Dealers tend to be on the high side of pricing but cash is always king! How do you plan on moving snow? Do these tractor come with anything at that price?
The Craigslist around here hasn't turned up much at all unless I have 10k to spend if not more. As far as the moving snow, I plan on using a 5' atv plow. I'll just fab up some brackets. That's the plan anyways.

Munkle Dave

Equipment
Jan 8, 2015
Fargo ND
But here's where I'm confused. If you compare the lifting (3 point) between the two, the L185 can lift twice as much as the larger B2150??? And according to the specs the L185 is wider than the more powerful B2150? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but neither of those 2 things make any sense to me.

Any thoughts on this?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The L is generally a heavier chassis. The B series is focused on a more light duty "compact" philosophy. But your comparing one of the later larger B series to what is about (perhaps?) the smallest L tractor several generations older. Not exactly apples and apples.

Munkle Dave

Equipment
Jan 8, 2015
Fargo ND
The L is generally a heavier chassis. The B series is focused on a more light duty "compact" philosophy. But your comparing one of the later larger B series to what is about (perhaps?) the smallest L tractor several generations older. Not exactly apples and apples.
This is the reason I'm asking for pros & cons between the two. If you could help me understand the difference, that be great. I understand they're not apples to apples but dimensions and weight aren't that far apart. Biggest difference (I see) is age and hp.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Kubota has lots of tractors that are just a bit different in specs and create a challenge in deciding but in this case it seems more simple, There is a more than notable 40% increase in power and in my opinion it is in a range where it is a big deal with a lot of implements that could be in your future. The 2150 is more than a decade newer and this really is more a matter if it is worth the dollar difference to you !! I see no advantage in the L185 other than nostalgia and price point. More of a personal question as the answer is likely different for a lot of us. Do you need the 24hp or not and does it fit the budget. I like the 4 cylinder larger engine and lower hours.

If someone else can tell us the L185 is a rock of a tractor compared to the B2150 that would be interesting and maybe another way of saying what you are asking ??

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I would bet the Tractordata entry for the L185 lift is a typo at 2200lbs, more likely 1200lbs. My L245 is listed at 1540lbs for comparison.

I personally like the L series, but you would give up some HP and modern features.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a relative (absolute to be truthful) newbie to Kubota, and don't have a huge amount of tractor experience in general, so I'm afraid I'm about tapped out on the subject.

But in my mind (not that it's worth anything), for a general purpose tractor I would go with the B2150 hands down between the two. I think the only exception would be if you needed a straight up tractor to drag equipment around in the field day in and out. Only then would some of the heavier features of the L would show some value. For my part, I would pay a little more and get the newer more modern more powerful lower hour and in some ways more capable (as described by NIW) B2150. But then again, I just recently had to fight my way through some rather expensive and huge hassle problems on my B2150, though not sure how much better or worse had it been a L185...

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I would bet the Tractordata entry for the L185 lift is a typo at 2200lbs, more likely 1200lbs. My L245 is listed at 1540lbs for comparison.

I personally like the L series, but you would give up some HP and modern features.

I had not caught that and I concur, !! it is not likely a 1700lb tractor is going to pick up that much weight on the 3 point and less likely the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight tractor will out lift the longer heavier either. It's a typo...

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Good point. In that case, B2150 hands down, if the extra money isn't a problem.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
With owning the grey market equivalent to the l185 and only having experience with "L's" in general, I might come off a little biased. One of the nice things on the L185 is the positioning on the three point hitch. Has a very simple fuel system. Granted the only safety feature on it is the neutral safety switch. And is fairly simple to diagnose and fix issues with the fuel and electrical systems. And for only being 18hp, It's handled every thing I've thrown at it. :D

The cons, it has a weak hydraulic pump, so you'll be limited if you decide to add anything powered by hydraulics on later. If it requires a lot of fluid volume then would have to add an auxilary hydro pump. Fel's are hard to come by since they have been out of production for so long. Single stage clutch, and no safety shut downs.

The B's got more butt behind it with the motor and hydraulics. Probably looking at about the same lifting capacity. Not sure about positioning on the three point hitch. Gonna have more options with add ons, Fel would probably be a lot easier to locate.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Simplicity is the main thing I miss having the B2150. Last tractor I had was a late 50s Ferguson a fair bit bigger than the B2150.

I don't know if they all do, but my B2150 has the positional 3 point. Hard to beat that smooth direct 3 point control. It also has over-running clutch on the PTO, power steering and the 2 stage clutch (which it seems most do?).

Last edited:

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I went out and found both tractors in question and I can see the attraction in the L-185 from a condition standpoint, it really looks like a nicely preserved tractor, the B is obviously a lot more used looking and weathered. I also went back and re-read your intended uses and the L-185 sounds like it would get the job done in style for less money. It is a pretty tractor. If you can afford either then I would take the $5700 with you and let the tractors talk to you when you get there, the better choice will become obvious in person I bet !! That L is cool and clean looking and I bet the B is less appealing that the pictures let on in person, just my guess... The B was obviously deeper in rubber but the L was very adequate too. Enjoy which ever you decide.

EDIT: One more comment and it was most significant after doing it. Go on youtube and watch a few videos of both tractor models working !! I thought the L's 2 cylinder engine was a bit annoying to listen to unless you just happen to enjoy it, as opposed to the B's 4 cylinder sounding like a little 4 cyl. diesel sewing machine !! Watching the various videos irreversible swayed me to choose the B in this case... Final answer !!

Last edited:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Different tractors from different time area.
it happens to have an l1501dt same as the l185dt an i can say to you that is more the tractor of its small engine, he can till every ground you throw him with no effort at all, i till with 135cm tiller at cold ground from the first pass as deep as the tiller goes and it cuts the ground like butter.
i can confirm that it can lift near a Ton to the 3pt even that his book say for half.
and i can say to you that its bulletproof and so simple to understand how is working.

i have no experience over that B series but with the extra money you can buy a tiller and a plow..

Last edited: