Newb in a hurry to buy needs advice

waltgary

Equipment
B2601 + U27-4. Asst implements
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Greetings: Amy and I will be buying a Kubota in the next week. I thought I had looked into the decision but upon finding this forum now realize I should perhaps get more input. I'm tractor ignorant.

We have narrowed down the choices to the L4600 or m5100, either with the front loader, snow plow blade and backhoe options. I tried for a B or even BX model but the above choices make more sense for us right now.

My question is that I really don't know the difference between these two models. I assume the M is somewhat larger and more powerful but am not overly confident on that. We've seen the L4600 in person and it looks good but have not actually laid eyes on an M model so that's a mystery.

So, if we were happy with the feature set of the L4600, will the M5100 simply be a slightly larger version, or are there other real differences? We don't even have an M series brochure as this option was just given us today.

I will continue searching as well to try and answer my own dumb questions.

Thank you to all in advance, it is appreciated. gary

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Really need to know what your wanting to do with the tractor in order to give you a good opinion, and options.

The MX5100 is heavier, and has a little more power, it's also a current model, the L4600 is a discontinued model ( but, that really doesn't mean a whole lot).

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Ok, we recently bought 40 wooded acres in NE Minnesota. Plans are to have a small home built there early spring. Uses of the tractor are to pull trees and stumps, building and leveling of walking trails. snow removal, etc. Perhaps also adding more gravel driveway. Probably a myriad of other things I haven't even thought of yet but I guess that doesn't help you much.

I realize I should have been lurking in this forum for the last six months and could have avoided this post. But, I didn't, and I do appreciate your help. gary

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it were me MX5100 or if in the budget Bigger.
We have 12 1/5 acres of trees and it's a lot of work cleaning and tending to the property!

Here would be my suggested shopping list:;)
Loader tractor with cab, you will thank me over the winter months, and get the quick adapter for the loader to attach to skid steer attachments.
I would go HST to make it easier on yourself, or at least a shuttle shift.
Top and tilt kit, makes adjusting the three point easy, also a Quick hitch.
Really good six way three point blade.
Loader mounted snow blade, and or snow blower, depends on how much snow you get in your area.
Loader mounted root / tree grapple, don't scrimp here, get a good tough one, makes dealing with trees, brush, and stumps a breeze!

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
I'll be looking into the implements you suggest. The grapple sounds intriguing as there will be a lot of clearing of deadfall and the like. Nearly the entire 40 acres are littered with downed trees and we'd like to get that cleaned up some. I believe the M5100 is HST but will verify that for sure. If not, it sounds like that would be reason to go the L4600 route. We do get a fair amount of snow here in far NE Minnesota so my dealer is suggesting the Bobcat branded front blade attached to the loader arm. I like the idea of the quick attachment/detach that he demonstrated. That makes things a lot easier.

Again, are there any other real differences between the two models other than size? For example, if I couldn't get HST in one that would significantly affect my decision.

Also again, advice is appreciated. gary

waltgary

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
Britt MN
Just saw the M5100 has a DT in the model designation. Assuming this indicates not HST?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Have you gone onto the kubota website? It has some good information about that tractors and you can find all the specs you need to help compare models. Also if you choose the build your own option, you can get a pretty good idea how much it will cost at list price.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Either model will do what you need, even a L3800 will do. Go test drive and pick the one you like. We have 10x that much land and the L3800DT does all we need...:cool:

Myself, I'd get a gear drive with clutch, but if you can't run a manual, get the HST.

Wells73

Nov 17, 2013
Oldham ky
Hello,I'm new here and bought my first kubota b6000 this week,it has a tiller and snow blade ,runs perfect.I paid 600 is that a far price?ill post pics:D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I agree, spend some time on the Kubota website comparing specs, clicking on the PDF option gives more info, maybe go to the dealer and get some brochures then craw around on them. The letter designation is a bit misleading as an MX4700/5100 is not in the same class as a true M Series, more along a L30.

Yes, I accept a smaller tractor "will do the job", but owning tractors from 22 to 85 HP, bigger would be my choice in this case and as your only tractor. I also own and operate HST as well as gears and like them both, HST seems to work better for new owners. For some jobs I prefer HST and others gear. I am using mine in tight quarters with lots of direction changes now and am leaving the geared tractor parked, later, I'll park it and go geared. If I could only have one, I would go HST...probably...

North Idaho Wolfman has a good list to which I would only add a HD box scraper, but that's just my preference as my blade hasn't been used in years; different strokes.

All have posted good points and we all come at it from a different direction, what will be "best" for me won't for others, so just one person's "opinion", only you will know which is right for you.

Pappy

May 13, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I thought "DT" in Kubota parlance indicated that it was plain old gear drive, but I could certainly be wrong.

HST vs. Hydraulic Shuttle vs. Syncro Shuttle (i.e., plain gear drive) is personal preference, and there's no shortage of threads here or on other tractor forums discussing the pros and cons of each.

One thing you would get with the MX5100 (and not with the L4600) is the extendable lower lift arms. Those things are worth their weight in gold to me, although a quick hitch would make them mostly irrelevant if all your implements were QH compatible.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I'll be looking into the implements you suggest. The grapple sounds intriguing as there will be a lot of clearing of deadfall and the like. Nearly the entire 40 acres are littered with downed trees and we'd like to get that cleaned up some. I believe the M5100 is HST but will verify that for sure. If not, it sounds like that would be reason to go the L4600 route. We do get a fair amount of snow here in far NE Minnesota so my dealer is suggesting the Bobcat branded front blade attached to the loader arm. I like the idea of the quick attachment/detach that he demonstrated. That makes things a lot easier.

Again, are there any other real differences between the two models other than size? For example, if I couldn't get HST in one that would significantly affect my decision.

Also again, advice is appreciated. gary
It is a lot of fun hunting for the tractor, and picking one up.

For what you are doing I would also recommend the Grappler attachment. I use it to clear brush and remove cut down trees; although I do attach the bucket to push down the trees, etc., as to not put too much pressure on the Grappler.

If I had my druthers I would prefer a CAB as well with the lower option if you are using it in the middle of those cold winter months a lot. If not then go bigger, with HST for sure.

Good luck, have fun.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd go a different path. I'd get a used full size backhoe for the initial construction phase, then sell that and get a smaller Kubota to maintain the place.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Auummmmm WELLS 600 bucks??? Man you did not buy that tractor somebody gave it to you,,lol,, yeah I would say that wasn't a bad deal at all ,, and welcome

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You might consider one of Kubota's TLB (tractor loader backhoe) series. They have a rugged loader and backhoe with a full frame and also a rear pto and three point hitch. That way you can clear your land with the loader and dig out things with the backhoe. When done with that, you can remove the backhoe to use 3pt hitch attachments and put hoe back on when needed.