New Tractor 5 acres

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
I am in complete analysis paralyses over picking my first tractor.

I have 5 acres wooded besides about an acre cleared around the house.

I want to clean up the woods and slowly clear it out a bit. After I get room cleared I will have a large garden.

a few things I think I will do
Skid logs out of woods
Grapple
Rake woods floor
Grind stumps
Flail mower brush
.5 acre garden
Spay lawn
Mulch
Till
compost pile
Build fence
Build small RC car track (don’t judge)

when it’s cleared out a bit is when I will garden and build the track

I am going back and forth on the size I need from the b2601,lx2610 or 3302/3902

I wanted a backhoe at first but after reading stuff online I might skip it

also I want tractor seat time so don’t mind extra hours to accomplish

thank you for any advice you can give since I’m am stuck in this rabbit hole.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Look at the implements and PTO power you will need. This should help guide you in to the proper solution. Grapple and skidding logs you may want a larger frame tractor vs a smaller unit. I went with a B3200 when I bought and have not been disappointed in its ability to do work. No SSQA but I skid logs, brush hog, box blade and run a 4’ disc without any issues. Does well with a rear blade and snow removal. Mulch is a breeze. If the budget allows it, go for the larger tractor. Don’t know anyone who has regretted having more capacity than needed.

Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
One thing to think of is whether you will want/ need a mid PTO. If not then maybe don't pay for a model that has one. That was the sole reason I went from a B to an L. Also, would you benefit from a BH? The B26 TLB might serve better.
I know I just opened up another rabbit hole......

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
One thing to think of is whether you will want/ need a mid PTO. If not then maybe don't pay for a model that has one. That was the sole reason I went from a B to an L. Also, would you benefit from a BH? The B26 TLB might serve better.
I know I just opened up another rabbit hole......
Lol getting deeper in the rabbit hole so I do not need a mid PTO so I was looking at the LX2610su to try to save some cash. I have not looked at the 2501 because its a bigger frame tractor so think id need bigger implements so I thought 25hp in that size is just to low for what I want to do.

The backhoe id love .. I could use it to slowly dig stumps out.. (oak trees in florida sand) but not sure I can justify the cost.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
From what I see based on what you've posted, I'd suggest taking a close look at the LX 2610. I went with the B2650 (basically the same thing only older version) with the backhoe. Ergonomics for me were better than the L series, size wise slightly larger than the smaller B. It does have a slightly tighter steering radius than the L and also slightly taller ground clearance which are both great for working in the woods. If you are wanting to clear things out you need to decide if you want to dig up the stumps or grind them. I decided to spend the money on the backhoe and dig them up vs buying a stump grinder. The BH is a great multi tool and I use it for all kinds of things. A stump grinder is 1 trick pony so for me it would just be collecting dust now that I have my stumps gone. Of course you could always rent a stump grinder or an excavator to take care of the stumps.
Of the 3 on your initial list, all 3 will do what you want so it can be a tough decision. Take your time, sit on/test drive all 3 if possible. Good luck and have fun with it.

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I don’t know your budget, but since you do not need a mid-PTO, I recommend the Standard L series tractor (L2501, L3302, L3902).

I too have 5 acres of undeveloped, heavily wooded forest with some steep hills and perform similar tasks with my tractor. I began with a B2601 and it was just too small and didn’t have the weight I needed to get some jobs done. The L2501 has performed extremely well and I’m very happy with the tractor.

Don’t underestimate the L2501, it’s a very capable tractor and has plenty of torque. Do you have hills? The flail mower is the only task you’ve listed where the L2501 ‘may’ struggle.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
I don’t know your budget, but since you do not need a mid-PTO, I recommend the Standard L series tractor (L2501, L3302, L3902).

I too have 5 acres of undeveloped, heavily wooded forest with some steep hills and perform similar tasks with my tractor. I began with a B2601 and it was just too small and didn’t have the weight I needed to get some jobs done. The L2501 has performed extremely well and I’m very happy with the tractor.

Don’t underestimate the L2501, it’s a very capable tractor and has plenty of torque. Do you have hills? The flail mower is the only task you’ve listed where the L2501 ‘may’ struggle.

Mike
I am pretty flat with only a minor grade change
Thats why i ruled out the 2501 because i thought it was a much wider machine so would need bigger things to cover the tracks... tilling and flail mowing .. I figured the 25hp on the smaller machine i could just run a smaller tiller /flail .. but idk

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I also have 5 acres of woods and have a BX23S, back hoe, tiller, box blade, forks, etc. and am bringing my woods back to civilization. My property is sloped, and the low center of gravity and width of the BX is perfect. Some times I think more power would be great but then the bigger tractor just would be too big. Good luck on your decision.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
all of the machines that you list would certainly do the job. You'd be looking at 5 foot wide implements for the B, possibly 6' for the L. Since you're in FL, do you need a cab with AC?

My vote would be the large B size which is now the LX (in either 26 or 33 hp). If you wanted to save a few bucks you could go with the SU version and eliminate the mid PTO. You'd be giving up some creature comforts but not a whole lot.

The LX is comfortable with plenty of grunt for its size. It would come in about 1000 lbs lighter than an L series. Would that make a difference in your soil (I presume sandy soil)?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The BX is a nice machine .. now im starting to get talked back into a backhoe lol
I wouldn’t consider a BX if you want to skid logs or use a grapple. I think a L series would be perfect for you: 2501 or 3301.

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
all of the machines that you list would certainly do the job. You'd be looking at 5 foot wide implements for the B, possibly 6' for the L. Since you're in FL, do you need a cab with AC?

My vote would be the large B size which is now the LX (in either 26 or 33 hp). If you wanted to save a few bucks you could go with the SU version and eliminate the mid PTO. You'd be giving up some creature comforts but not a whole lot.

The LX is comfortable with plenty of grunt for its size. It would come in about 1000 lbs lighter than an L series. Would that make a difference in your soil (I presume sandy soil)?
im not sure if weight will make a difference and yes my soil is all very sandy

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
Larger tires typically negate any issues with the added weight of a machine...unless it's quick sand, lol

I'd strongly recommend test driving the different options your considering and go from there. They're all great tractors and will do the job but, some will do the jobs better and faster. And, you can purchase the LX SU with larger tires...

Mike

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
If i had 5 acres like that it would be LX with cab. On my 1.5 the bx works great, and i have done jobs all over with it in places that bigger tractors cant go; however, when i get my next property i will be likely trading this one in on an LX and hopefully getting a mini-x.

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
So cost is big reason for this.. the price of tractors is through the roof i really need to walk away with a grapple, Flail mower and a rear rake for my wifes set 500 a month limit. A few years ago that would be much easier than it is now.

if I cant get that i need to go to a TYM or a Kioti.. Id have to change my name to TYMTim or KiotiTim and not sure if I am there yet

Last edited:
  • Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If possible, put yourself in the seat of a couple models.

Will definitely give you a better idea.

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
So cost is big reason for this.. the price of tractors is through the roof i really need to walk away with a grapple, Flail mower and a rear rake for my wifes set 500 a month limit. A few years ago that would be much easier than it is now.

if I cant get that i need to go to a TYM or a Kioti.. Id have to change my name to TYMTim or KiotiTim and not sure if I am there yet
Something to consider....you may be able to get away with pallet forks instead of a grapple. I've managed to do everything I need to do with pallet forks. It is definitely more work, but, it saved a bit of money.

Also, in my area, Kioti was no cheaper than Kubota. I didn't shop TYM.
And yes....you'd have to change your user name! :D

Mike

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Something to consider....you may be able to get away with pallet forks instead of a grapple. I've managed to do everything I need to do with pallet forks. It is definitely more work, but, it saved a bit of money.
/\/\/\

This. I get that grapples are all the rage, but I move one hell of a lot of brush/logs with my forks as well. I would imagine you could trim about 3K off of the budget by just getting forks?

anyway, bets of luck to you in your decision.

Reactions: 6 users

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL

Also, in my area, Kioti was no cheaper than Kubota. I didn't shop TYM.
And yes....you'd have to change your user name! :D

Mike

/\/\/\

This. I get that grapples are all the rage, but I move one hell of a lot of brush/logs with my forks as well. I would imagine you could trim about 3K off of the budget by just getting forks?

anyway, bets of luck to you in your decision.
That is a great point i guess i can add a grapple later if I feel like i really need it .. they are very costly

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Just my $.02…nothing jumps out from your description that you have any intention for a MMM, correct? I am assuming there is no need for a snow blower based off your profile, correct? Only thing in your description that maybe smaller is helpful is in the garden…depending on how large your garden is and how much room you have to get in an out of it, a BX or B IMO is better in a previously tilled garden. If you have lots of space and not constrained on the edges then Maybe it not matter so much. But for the bulk of your tasks I think buy a size bigger than you think. Also I did not see anything specific for using pallet forks, but I would not be without mine. Anyway reason those jump out to me, and also some of your other items is lift and stability with something heavy….that would nudge me to a larger machine. If you are considering a B or LX, I’d encourage you also price out a couple Ls starting with the 2501 unless you are thinking bigger. We have a BH and I would buy it again (for me it’s about availability and convenience). That being said if cash was an issue and you are thinking about a BH I’d save the money on the BH and put to a bigger tractor. You will use a bigger tractor every time you turn the key, but you will seldom use a BH to make it make sense financially, IMO.