New to me L3540

Working Dog

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2019
Catoctin
I am considering a 2009 L3540 HSTC. Has anyone added a third function valve or two rear remotes to one of these? I'd like to get an idea of the cost and difficulty of adding these items. After checking out machines with a cabs, snow plowing would be much less painful with a cab.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Everything is less painful with a cab except low hanging branches.:D

Is it a private sale or on a dealers lot? being a 2009, I'd check it over carefully and do what I call a 'square one service', that is new everything. New hydraulic fluid, new engine oil, new hydraulic and engine oil filters and a new air cleaner outer and inner filter as well and if a cab model, a new intake filter for the cab. Did I say all Kubota filters, excuse me if I didn't. Far as oil's go, SU or UDT or a compatible hydraulic oil (Kubota approved) and engine oil, any API diesel approved oil. I use Rotella 5-40 T6 because my tractors start easier in the winter with it but that is your choice and finally a good fuel additive like Stanadyne or Power Service and if the use is infrequent, a dash of biocide in the fuel as well.

Finally, don't forget to clean the fine mesh strainer in the fuel bowl and empty the contents. It;s also a water separator.

A 'square one service' gets you at square on maintenance.

Hours wise, I doubt it has enough hours to run the overhead but if it has a couple thousand on the meter, a valve lash and injector clearance adjustment might be in order as well.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Not sure where you are located, but the msu surplus store, Lansing MI, has two L4240 with cabs outfitted for snow plowing, 20 K. At least one of them has 2 rear remotes. Video of engine running. Worth a phone call and maybe a roadtrip. Maintenance at the university usually takes care of equipment according to the book .

https://msusurplusstore.com/categories/farm-garden/

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
20 isn't a bad price and it has front fenders too. Their NH Roll-a-Bar rakes are way too much however.

Working Dog

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2019
Catoctin
Not sure where you are located, but the msu surplus store, Lansing MI, has two L4240 with cabs outfitted for snow plowing, 20 K. At least one of them has 2 rear remotes. Video of engine running. Worth a phone call and maybe a roadtrip. Maintenance at the university usually takes care of equipment according to the book .

https://msusurplusstore.com/categories/farm-garden/
Thanks much for the heads up. Those MSU units have a lot of hours on them. I am in Virginia but the L3540 I am looking at is in Michigan as well. It also has less then 600hrs on it which is a big part of the reason I am looking at it. Comes with the LA724 loader and a quick attach bucket. Going for $27k. From all appearances, it was very lightly used. I figure a couple of grand for the remotes and third function so I can run a grapple on it and a front snow blade. Snow events are less then 8" around here usually but I have about a 1/2 mile road to keep open. Just not much fun any more on an open station at 5 in the morning. Having never done much with hydraulics I am wondering if there is any technical reason I can't put those items on once it is in my hands.

Happy Independence Day!

Working Dog

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2019
Catoctin
Everything is less painful with a cab except low hanging branches.:D

Is it a private sale or on a dealers lot? being a 2009, I'd check it over carefully and do what I call a 'square one service', that is new everything. New hydraulic fluid, new engine oil, new hydraulic and engine oil filters and a new air cleaner outer and inner filter as well and if a cab model, a new intake filter for the cab. Did I say all Kubota filters, excuse me if I didn't. Far as oil's go, SU or UDT or a compatible hydraulic oil (Kubota approved) and engine oil, any API diesel approved oil. I use Rotella 5-40 T6 because my tractors start easier in the winter with it but that is your choice and finally a good fuel additive like Stanadyne or Power Service and if the use is infrequent, a dash of biocide in the fuel as well.

Finally, don't forget to clean the fine mesh strainer in the fuel bowl and empty the contents. It;s also a water separator.

A 'square one service' gets you at square on maintenance.

Hours wise, I doubt it has enough hours to run the overhead but if it has a couple thousand on the meter, a valve lash and injector clearance adjustment might be in order as well.
Thanks much! All very good points. I use Power Service in my other tractor and it gets run regularly. It is a private sale and on their lot in Michigan http://www.goodworkstractors.com/product/kubota-l3540hstc-4wd-37hp-tractor-cab-loader-for-sale/. Less then 600 hours on the meter going for $27k. It has been fully serviced by the local Kubota dealer and some minor issues corrected (front axel seals replaced and some lights fixed). Otherwise it appears very lightly used and well kept. Don't have time for a road trip so I will be taking a leap of faith to some degree. I have not pulled the trigger yet so will continue to do my due diligence.

Happy Independence Day!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Fully serviced' is a relative term when it comes to any dealer depending on their honesty. Can be from a pressure wash to a complete service and I'd want to see be checking things like air filter and spin on filters for hours at change (I mark all my filters with the hours at change, always.

Knowing MSU's maintenance department like I do (my wife is alumni and my niece teaches there), I suspect the units were taken care of properly. MSU never skimps on service.

Hours are only mildly relative, service intervals and fluid changes are important.

I'd be cautious about any unit with 600 hours on the clock that had leaky front axle seals. Axle seals (the seal between the upper and lower halves of the outboard planetary don't leak as a rule unless the upper bushing is shot. and there is radial or vertical play in the assembly. Just replacing the seal won't eliminate the issue, the bushings need replacement as well. I'd want to see the workorder at least and you can easily see if it's a new or used seal.

Just my 2 cents and may not be germane to your purchase.

Working Dog

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2019
Catoctin
Thanks SidecarFlip. I spoke to the seller today. He provided video of everything working (e.g. engine, loader, PTO, wipers, lights, etc.). I am now waiting on a copy of the work order for the service that was done. Adding the items to it that will make it meet my needs will not be inexpensive either. I am waiting on my local dealer to provide that tomorrow. With shipping, a new L3560 my be a more logical choice.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I will 3rd the 3560s are nice. I also hope over the winter months to get a 3rd function valve installed for a grapple use.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Working Dog, you inquired about the installation of the 3rd function kit on the L3540. The xx40 series tractors have the loader control lever on the right fender, not on the loader tower as others are. To install the kit requires much more effort. Like removing the right side rear tire and fender, draining some of the hyd. fluid, removing some of the loader mount.

I had the kit setting in my shop for a couple of weeks and when I saw what was required I took it back (with my tractor) to the dealer for them to install. I'm sure many folks have installed them themselves, but just a warning it's not as simple as some might think, if they are not familiar with this particular model.

Also the Kubota third function kit has steel lines going down the loader arms to the crossover tube. They mound in the brackets already on the arms. In my opinion, a much nicer setup then hoses as other suppliers provide. Whenever the Kubota kit is installed it is as if it was installed the day it was delivered. Perfect in appearance and function.

Here's a couple of pictures to show the lines. Notice all the lines underneath!!!

Attachments

Daveinwestmi

Equipment
L3560 ROPS, BX2380
Jul 6, 2019
Kalamazoo, MI
Thanks SidecarFlip. I spoke to the seller today. He provided video of everything working (e.g. engine, loader, PTO, wipers, lights, etc.). I am now waiting on a copy of the work order for the service that was done. Adding the items to it that will make it meet my needs will not be inexpensive either. I am waiting on my local dealer to provide that tomorrow. With shipping, a new L3560 my be a more logical choice.
I'm about 5 minutes from the tractor your looking at. If you want some eyes on it for dents and overall visual condition I'd be happy to do it. PM me if interested.