new to me b1750HST w/tranny noise

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Wolfman, yes , I do believe you have a wolf. (G) And yes , my dogs stay in the house, even have there own room. The last year of her life, my yellow lab decided she wanted to sleep with me. My wife on one side and a 70 lb long legged dog on the other. I didn't get much sleep but in the am she would roll over and lay her head on my shoulder and look at me upside down with all 4 feet in the air. I miss her sooo much.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ipz2222,
Thanks and sorry for your loss! We lost one of ours 2 weeks ago, it's never easy!:(
Vixen sleeps in our bed, most of the time between me and the wife, I don't mind, in fact I don't sleep that well if she's not in bed.:eek:
When my wife goes to work in the morning all 6 kids jump into bed and sleep with me, talk about crowded!:eek:

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Our yellow lab, a neighborhood favorite, died 4 weeks ago. Used the orange backhoe to dig a deep grave. Sad day. Now a large lilac marks the spot.

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
I need to just get this thing running, then go back and restore stuff at a later date.

of course this didn't keep me from beginning to disassemble the center console/instrument panel to grind off some rust and do some painting...

but, I've promised myself that I would do no more painting until the tractor is running, lol

so, started to install the fuel tank support ledge thing, and it is asymmetrical so I tried to figure out which way it went on

when I realized that there was a hole on one side for the fuel line,

I was pretty sure there used to be strip of padding/cushion on there for where the fuel tank rests, so I found some old auto hood weather strip that I had lying around and taped it down on there...it wont go anywhere once the fuel tank is bolted down on top of it.

so, couldn't bolt the tank down as the center console needs to go on at same time, and waiting for the paint to dry, lol, so I took shots of an area I need to figure out.

it is a spring, and the diagram shows it as a clutch release spring, and I think one end goes through a hole on a piece of steel bar spanning the clutch cover and it looks like the other end just goes under the nut of a zerk fitting?
I cannot see anywhere else it could connect, and the diagram isn't clear...

hard to see up there with everything in the way...
not sure why the spring is needed there, as there is a huge spring on the clutch pedal that pulls it back

anyways, tomorrow I hope to have the tank and center console all bolted up...then the steering wheel

couple of shots of the other dog...

and my four yr old with the other dog...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the B7100 there is a bolt holding the spring on to the collar.
I think I've seen a picture of your set up and I do believe that the spring is held by the grease zerk.
The purpose of the spring is to pull the collar back and hold it tight to the clutch fork otherwise the throw-out bearing can ride on the pressure plate and cause premature wear.

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
On the B7100 there is a bolt holding the spring on to the collar.
I think I've seen a picture of your set up and I do believe that the spring is held by the grease zerk.
The purpose of the spring is to pull the collar back and hold it tight to the clutch fork otherwise the throw-out bearing can ride on the pressure plate and cause premature wear.
thx a lot for confirming my thought that it might just go onto the zerk fitting....this is kind of odd to me, but if it works, and Kubota thought it would be fine, then so be it.
I will mount it to the fitting tonight after taking the boy trick or treating

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think this is right, you can't gain access to the side zerk right?

Spring local.jpg

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
I'm working to diagnose a rumbling sound that occurs intermittently.
Hey Matt - good to hear there's some progress on the tractor! We're looking forward to the day of judgement when the machine fires up and the rumbling sound has disappeared. Keep us posted.

PS - I like dogs too - but the thread seems to have drifted a little .....:D

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
I'm actually pretty close to firing it up...got a lot done
just don't have the pics downloaded yet...but will update today/tonight

excited to hear it run again!

I stuck to my promise to do no more painting/polishing, ha

lots of little things like tapping some more threaded holes and figuring out some wiring and routing of wire looms, etc...

will do a post tonight

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
mounted up the center console/instrument panel and started wiring...

put plenty of dielectric silicone on the connectors

found a couple of wires that I need to figure out...will check the shop manual some more and figure it out

the fuel vent lines were really stiff and old, so put on some silicone ones I had left over from a car project...might eventually just get some normal black ones from the auto store

hooking up more linkages (there seem to be a million so far)

bolting the fuel tank to the console

drained engine oil and filled with some of this stuff...

need to figure out some wiring, fill up the HST and trans with Kubota hyd, and might have to get a new battery...then couple other little things...then maybe fire it up

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
well, I have been working on it, but not posting...
I wanted to have my next post be a video of it running...but I ran into problems and it isn't running yet.

the battery is good. Had it tested at advanced auto and it is good. Power tested to the starter.
but, when I turn the ignition key, there is no click at the solenoid...nothing.

anyways, to bring you up to date...

I added Kubota hydraulic

new air filter

got the dash plugged in

battery hooked up and turned the key on...

then turned it one more notch for glow plugs

then tried to start and nothing.

Now, I know about the safety switch at the clutch lever. Must engage clutch to start.
However, the prior owner bypassed the switch, in a less than elegant manner...

and I have this mess here

so that is where I'm at now....

so from here, I do have one wire under the dash that isn't connected to anything, and I don't know what it goes to...nothing obvious anyways...
I am going to study the wiring diagram and see if I can figure out what that wire does.

otherwise, all the plugs are plugged in and tight.

more later.

Last edited:

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
ok, so I went poking around some more...
I think the fusible link has been bypassed...not sure, but I think this was it...

also the safety switch has been bypassed...

I started unwrapping wires down near the starter...where the previous owner had hacked away, lol...so I could get a better look and try to figure stuff out.

still had one wire with a female connector that I wasn't sure where it went (I figured it out a little later...I'll get back to that)

so I started testing voltage up the big red starter solenoid wire, as it went from connector to connector, until I got up to the connector just before the key switch, and it all tested fine.

one thing I noticed was that when I turned the key two clicks to the glowplug, the voltage dropped two whole volts down to 10.3...

anyways, kept searching and found a fuse holder with two 25amp fuses...one of which looked like it melted.

so cleaned out the holder and put in new fuses with some dielectric silicone...

So, for some reason, I went back down to the starter and looked at that stray wire again and noticed it was hanging on by a thread and when I pulled on it, it broke.
So I respliced it and heat shrank it and it is all good now...

that is when, for some reason, something just clicked.
In all my years working on cars, I suddenly recognized that connector. I put my light over to look at the other side of the solenoid and there it was...

I had missed it and I sure filled like a dope after.

I immediately knew this was the problem , jumped up into the seat, depressed the clutch, and turned the key and it turned over!
I tried again, and it caught, puffed a little smoke, and started running!

Good grief, to finally hear it run after all this time and work was just music to my ears.
My wife was inside the house when she heard it running and she ran outside and gave me a big hug.

so, it idled for a couple of minutes then died.
I checked the fuel filter petcock switch, then started it again. It ran for another couple minutes then died again...so there is something going on, but none of that was enough to quell my enthusiasm for the fact that it ran.

more later!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Congrats on getting it going again!
Sounds like you will just need to bleed the air out of the system.
And I do believe the fusible link is the right one too.

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
Congrats on getting it going again!
Sounds like you will just need to bleed the air out of the system.
And I do believe the fusible link is the right one too.
thanks,
yes, I haven't bled it yet and will try that tonight.

I actually started it a few times today and it would start and run for 4 seconds then die.
did that a few times and then it began to just click at the starter solenoid.

so I stopped, and put the battery on charge and went to run an errand...an hour later I tried the key once and just the click still...

I'll do some more snooping around tonight and see if I can figure out what is going on

found some strange wiring hack going on under the dash...

and this wire is in the same area and still has no home...

I'll pour over the wiring diagram tonight

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
I think it is electrical...there are so many questionable wiring splices

I looked over the wiring diagram last night and found a couple of things.

One, the fuse holder is supposed to have two 15A fuses, but instead it had two 25A fuses !
Geezus...
so, I will pull the two new 25'ers that I put in and replace with 15'ers.

Secondly, the voltage regulator has a wire that bypasses the plug. They then stripped some insulation off the wire it goes to after the plug and simply wrapped the end of the wire around the other one and taped it up.
Good grief.
so, I'm going to fix that also

the pic above is the wire that they used to bypass the R wire that comes from the regulator (described as "main switch" in manual) to the RB (red/black) wire after the plug.
From the diagram, this is the correct wire to splice to...they just did a crappy job of it. Don't know why they had to bypass the plug.

with regards to the RY (red/yellow) wire that is not connected to anything ...pic below...

that wire feeds a crapload of stuff...or should I say that it branches off to a bunch of different things on the panel of the tractor.
I suspect it is the reason the gauges (fuel/hour meter, etc)are not working...cause RY feeds into all of those on the panel.

I was getting close to figuring out where it went when my 4 yr old started to complain so I had to break off to deal with him.

more later...

thx for the replies BTW

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
I drove it today for the first time in years....

I have been having the issue where the starter solenoid just clicks when turning the key.
Well, I bought some tap splices so that I could fix the wiring at that one spot under the dash, and I went into the garage to start work...when on a whim I turned the ignition key

well, it turned over.

color me surprised.

So I started it though, it will catch and turn over.
So, I'm thinking there is a bad wire/too much resistance somewhere...I plan to go through all the wiring and connections and see what I can find.

however, here is a short vid of it running...

and here is a pic of it pulled out of the garage under it's own power so that I could clean up under it from over 2 yrs of accumulated dirt...
and give it a quick wash out in the driveway...

Still so much to do, that it will be a while before it is truly done...and I will continue to update

more later