New guy here

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
I am fixing to drop the hammer on a brand new L3800 sitting on my dealers lot. the only issue I have is that it has R4 tires and I would rather have the R1's but he started talking about it costing extra to go with them. Should he put the R1's on to make the sale or do I not have a leg to stand on here?

Better yet should I even worry about it? Mostly mowing with about a 2 acre vegetable farm with the normal gardening duties. Also have to maintain around 2 ponds one 1acre and one 10 acre. Mostly worried about sliding sideways.

Last edited:

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
I just checked the Kubota site

http://www.kubota.com/configurator/BuildMyKubota.aspx?pgId=1&bmId=918&sId=125

The price for this tractor with the R4s is $654 more than with the R1s. Since the R4s are already on the tractor, and since he will be making less money by putting on the R1s, he has no incentive to pay his workers to change them. Offer $654 less for the tractor with the R4s and see what he says. As to which is a better tire for your needs, others with more experience will chime in to help you decide. There are a lot of very helpful people on this forum.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I don't have experience with R4's versus R1's, but most of the tractors come with R4's, and they seem to work. Hopefully, someone with firsthand experience will speak up. Myself, I'd feel comfortable with the R4's.

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
I don't have experience with R4's versus R1's, but most of the tractors come with R4's, and they seem to work. Hopefully, someone with firsthand experience will speak up. Myself, I'd feel comfortable with the R4's.
Ill more than likely just stick with the R4's like you I doubt I'll ever know the difference. Plus the R4's are more puncture resistant and that's never a bad thing as I can't say I've ever seen a R1 without at least one hole in it.

On another note what does a L3800 weigh with the LA524 loader and loaded tires? Can I haul it with a 1/2 tonn pickup?

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I think you may want the R1's working around the ponds. I have a small pond that I maintain and I have R4's on my tractor. The R1's will have better traction especially in the mud. Another thing you may want to consider is 4wd. I use it always around the pond, helps maintain stability and has 4 wheel braking when in 4wd. The only reason you may want to keep the R4's if you will be doing a lot of mowing as they wont tear up the grass as much as the R1's. I'm not sure how much the weight of the L3800 with loader weighs, but my L2800 with loader is a load for my 1/2 ton pickup. I have a heavy duty trailer with trailer brakes - pulling it is not the problem, stopping it is. A lot depends on how often and how far are you going to pull it. Just my 2 cents worth.

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
I think you may want the R1's working around the ponds. I have a small pond that I maintain and I have R4's on my tractor. The R1's will have better traction especially in the mud. Another thing you may want to consider is 4wd. I use it always around the pond, helps maintain stability and has 4 wheel braking when in 4wd. The only reason you may want to keep the R4's if you will be doing a lot of mowing as they wont tear up the grass as much as the R1's. I'm not sure how much the weight of the L3800 with loader weighs, but my L2800 with loader is a load for my 1/2 ton pickup. I have a heavy duty trailer with trailer brakes - pulling it is not the problem, stopping it is. A lot depends on how often and how far are you going to pull it. Just my 2 cents worth.
I am getting 4wd wouldn't ever consider any other way. I don't plan on getting into any mud I tend to stay up on high ground and will be doing alot of mowing. I only plan on hauling it about 30miles to the house other than that not again unless it needs service.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Your buying the tractor, you should get the tires you want. Pretty sure my dealer would swap them to make a sale.

I love my L3800DT, great rig! I have R1s and would not want R4s, as I need the extra traction sometimes.

L3800 weighs a bit over 2600 lbs, loader is 1100 lbs. Not sure how much weight loaded tires add, but mine are loaded.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The debate over R1 or R4 is really a matter of personal preference. Both have their good points and bad but I'd say if the R4's are on there already just go with what you have. Like many others have said the R4's wont tear up your turf. And I'd say if your only moving it 30 miles once then have the dealer deliver it to that destination. Its alot safer then you doing it with a 1/2 ton truck especially if your not used to towing heavy loads.

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
The debate over R1 or R4 is really a matter of personal preference. Both have their good points and bad but I'd say if the R4's are on there already just go with what you have. Like many others have said the R4's wont tear up your turf. And I'd say if your only moving it 30 miles once then have the dealer deliver it to that destination. Its alot safer then you doing it with a 1/2 ton truck especially if your not used to towing heavy loads.
I've done a good bit of hauling in the past and have a good trailer with brakes, I just haven't found a good spec on what this thing weighs. Ill probley get my buddy to haul it with his 3/4 ton Cummins just to keep the wear and tear off my truck.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Bluegill has a 3800, and you can trust his numbers. If the trailer will handle it, the Dodge will definitely handle that weight, so that is the way to go.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've done a good bit of hauling in the past and have a good trailer with brakes, I just haven't found a good spec on what this thing weighs. Ill probley get my buddy to haul it with his 3/4 ton Cummins just to keep the wear and tear off my truck.
Right around 4000 lbs (maybe a bit more) for a L3800 w/loader and loaded tires. R4s' will hold more fluid. I've pulled heavier with a 1/2 ton pickup and a good trailer. But 3/4 ton pickup is more suited. :)

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
Right around 4000 lbs (maybe a bit more) for a L3800 w/loader and loaded tires. R4s' will hold more fluid. I've pulled heavier with a 1/2 ton pickup and a good trailer. But 3/4 ton pickup is more suited. :)
As have I but I would rather not have my transmission fall out pulling my brand new tractor to the house. :p

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
A bit late on the tires, but I run both and if you're not operating in mud or pulling ground engaging implements in soft ground, I prefer R4.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
As have I but I would rather not have my transmission fall out pulling my brand new tractor to the house. :p
Good thinking.
A bit late on the tires, but I run both and if you're not operating in mud or pulling ground engaging implements in soft ground, I prefer R4.
If I didn't need the extra traction, I'd rather have R4 too.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Like some have already said, both have good and bad points. My advise is don't settle for what's already on the tractor. Get the ones that best suit your needs. On a tractor that size there is no reason (unless you run on asphalt) a set of tires can't last for 20 yrs or more. My point for saying that is you are going to live with your choice for a long time. Choosing the correct tire for your needs is way more than a simple option.

Remember, you're buying a brand new machine. There's no better time to set it up the way you want it. How do I know, the reason I bought my 4th Kubota is because I wasn't happy with my 3rd.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
When I bought our BX2660 new in 2008, I wanted bar tires as that is what we had on our BX2200. The salesman asked me to just try the Industrial tires and if I didn't like them, he would put bar or turf on no charge; couldn't beat that.

I do agree, get what you want if you are sure that's what is best for your needs.

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
Apparently times are tougher that I thought I have perfect credit and a 740 credit score and they still came back wanting 20% down. I don't think ill be accepting their offer as the 0 down 0% was the only thing that drew me to this in the first place. Nice knowing yall for the short time we were acquainted.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like you need a new dealer. When I bought my last M9000 I went in and ordered it with nothing more than a hand shake. When it came in it was delivered to me without ever signing not even one paper. I got a phone call from the salesman who said they were real busy and he would get back with me on the paperwork. After a couple of weeks I called him and again I was told he was real busy and he would get back with me later. Almost 3 months after I got the tractor he called and said he had everything ready and I could come sign it when I had time. A good dealer means everything.

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
I was under the assumption that the issue was with the kubota corporation and not the dealer.

However I am not real happy with his service let me explain.

I turned in my app yesterday at 4 and the lady told me it would take 20mins tops and she would give me a call, fast forward 2 hours later the guy calls me and says he's having trouble submitting my app and he's going to "call it in" in the morning and get back with me first thing. I ended up having to call him today at lunch and got his receptionist who gave me the news but said he was too busy putting a tractor together to come talk to the guy trying to spend 20k dollars with them "could I call him back in an hour?". I said "sure" with absolutely no intentions of returning his call, I figure if he has any interest in selling me this tractor he'll return my call right? Well here it is 7:40 and I ain't heard shit...

I'm pretty put off with this right now. :(

I considered trying another dealer but like I said I was under the impression the issue was with kubota not the dealer. I have the money in savings but its just not as good a deal when they start asking 20% down Id just as soon go with a good used unit for 1/2 as much...

Last edited: