New B2601 minor scare

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
When slowing or attempting to stop when coming down a steep section should one rely primarily on the brakes (YIKES!) or the hydrostatic pedal or both? As a new operator I have left a couple of 10 ft long skid marks in the grass and nearly had to change my underwear.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
You should be in 4 wheel drive, let off the pedal slowly and use the brakes only if needed to come to a full stop. It also depends on how steep and wetness of grass if any.

Reactions: 1 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
#1 You're driving too fast
#2 4wd provides extra stopping power
#3 gradually release hydro pedal before needing emergency stop
#4 brake, drop fel & 3pt implement if emergency stop needed
idea is to keep on it's wheels

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You should be in 4 wheel drive, let off the pedal slowly and use the brakes only if needed to come to a full stop. It also depends on how steep and wetness of grass if any.
Does letting off of the pedal supply resistance of some sort? It felt like it was freewheeling if that is an applicable term. The grass was dry. In terms of steepness all I can say is its the neighborhood sled riding spot. I wouldn't let anyone other than myself run a tractor on it. My old dirt bike and dune buggy antics inform my decisions. I am going to have to "jump into the 1990s" and learn how to upload pictures here. My life may depend on it. Ha.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Does letting off of the pedal supply resistance of some sort? It felt like it was freewheeling if that is an applicable term. The grass was dry. In terms of steepness all I can say is its the neighborhood sled riding spot. I wouldn't let anyone other than myself run a tractor on it. My old dirt bike and dune buggy antics inform my decisions. I am going to have to "jump into the 1990s" and learn how to upload pictures here. My life may depend on it. Ha.
If the tractor has the HST (hydrostat) transmission then yes it will bring the tractor to a stop on level ground or a slight hill, it will definately slow you down considerably on a steep hill but braking lightly will also assist in stopping.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
You left skid marks with the rear wheels, correct? Then it wasn't freewheeling. The wheels stopped when the hst pedal was released. If in 4WD the traction through the front wheels especially going forward downhill makes a huge difference. And take it easy.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If the tractor has the HST (hydrostat) transmission then yes it will bring the tractor to a stop on level ground or a slight hill, it will definately slow you down considerably on a steep hill but braking lightly will also assist in stopping.
Perhaps I was not in 4WD. I will attempt a test tomorrow in 4WD budgeting for an emergency "landing strip" in my flight plan.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You left skid marks with the rear wheels, correct? Then it wasn't freewheeling. The wheels stopped when the hst pedal was released. If in 4WD the traction through the front wheels especially going forward downhill makes a huge difference. And take it easy.
Yes, I go very slowly on the steep stuff. Thanks

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When slowing or attempting to stop when coming down a steep section should one rely primarily on the brakes (YIKES!) or the hydrostatic pedal or both? As a new operator I have left a couple of 10 ft long skid marks in the grass and nearly had to change my underwear.
Just wondering which tractor you were using. Was it the Steiner or another tractor? If not the Steiner what was it. Was there a FEL? Was the bucket full? How high was the bucket? Was there any ballast on the rear? Are the tires loaded?

You ask a good question. I was just trying to figure out if there was anything else to do to keep those shorts from turning brown.:oops:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just wondering which tractor you were using. Was it the Steiner or another tractor? If not the Steiner what was it. Was there a FEL? Was the bucket full? How high was the bucket? Was there any ballast on the rear? Are the tires loaded?

You ask a good question. I was just trying to figure out if there was anything else to do to keep those shorts from turning brown.:oops:
New B2601 with loader down low empty bucket and mower going. I think putting it in 4WD is the answer. Not sure if it was in 2 or 4wd.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are your rear tires loaded? Sounds like you don’t have enough rear weight combined with only being in 2wd. Try taking the loader off if 4wd doesn’t help.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Are your rear tires loaded? Sounds like you don’t have enough rear weight combined with only being in 2wd. Try taking the loader off if 4wd doesn’t help.
Rear tires are loaded. I plan on taking the loader off eventually. I have never done it. The Youtube tutorials on the subject do soothe the nerves. At the moment I am using the heck out of the loader. Experiencing the "learning curve". It looks effortless when driving past a construction site. I am glad no one has witnessed my "budding expertise". Kinda funny. Got an awful lot done in a day and a half. Moved 3 pickup truck loads of assorted building stone and pavers to a "fill wanted" location found on Craigslist about 4 miles away. The stuff had been left littering my landscape by the prior property owner for many years. Also, relocating a 5 ton or so pile of top soil. Snakes and poison ivy galore. A manly day indeed !

Reactions: 1 user

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I have some pretty steep areas that I mow on my property.
I would not drop the FEL as this may cause a pitch pole effect if it catches.
I remove the FEL as it makes it easier to get around trees, buildings etc
Enjoy your new machine!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Rear tires are loaded. I plan on taking the loader off eventually. I have never done it. The Youtube tutorials on the subject do soothe the nerves. At the moment I am using the heck out of the loader. Experiencing the "learning curve". It looks effortless when driving past a construction site. I am glad no one has witnessed my "budding expertise". Kinda funny. Got an awful lot done in a day and a half. Moved 3 pickup truck loads of assorted building stone and pavers to a "fill wanted" location found on Craigslist about 4 miles away. The stuff had been left littering my landscape by the prior property owner for many years. Also, relocating a 5 ton or so pile of top soil. Snakes and poison ivy galore. A manly day indeed !
After getting my B2910 I soon learned to leave mine in 4WD all the time. Living in Pgh area like you do, almost nothing flat here. My experience was an uncontrolled slide down some wet grass.

4WD makes all the difference in the world for me...It is especially important going down a grade, as the weight can shift off the rear tires, and away you go, since the only time the front tires can hold you back is when they are locked to the rear axle through the 4WD gearing.

Reactions: 4 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
New B2601 with loader down low empty bucket and mower going. I think putting it in 4WD is the answer. Not sure if it was in 2 or 4wd.
I have some pretty steep hillsides on my property. I mow and move material in these areas with both my B2601 and L2501.

My B2601 has loaded tires and 2” Bora steel spacers (which I highly recommend).

The loader on my B2601 is “always” off when I mow. It increases the stability of the tractor when navigating hillsides. On hills, I’m always in 4WD and some of my hills require L gear as they are quite steep. Keep the tractor in 4WD on the hills.

I may have had a similar situation in my B2601 recently. I was traveling down one of the tall steep hillsides in M with an empty bucket but, in 2WD by accident. I released the HST pedal to slow my travel and the rear tires seemed to skip, lock-up and slide a bit. Totally strange. I quickly got back on the HST and increases speed a bit and all was well.
I had been running the L2501 up and down the hill all day and the two tractors behave differently. I just need to remember which machine I’m on.

Mike

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I use and recommend BOTH low gear and 4wd for steep banks, always forward straight down. I have a cabbed B 2650 with mmm, loaded tires, and spacers, and it is pretty stable when used that way.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I use and recommend BOTH low gear and 4wd for steep banks, always forward straight down. I have a cabbed B 2650 with mmm, loaded tires, and spacers, and it is pretty stable when used that way.
I have yet to use low range. That seems like a good idea. I am done tractoring now for the weekend. The last thing I did was smash the ROPs off of the brickwork above my garage door. Of course I had been quite cognizant of the potential just a half hour before.Tired I suppose. A little paint will fix both. Lucky and stupid I guess.