New ....and dumb

kipissippi

Jul 8, 2014
potts camp ms
I've been trying to bush hog our overgrown pasture and our 2500 keeps overheating. Am I doing something wrong....is there something I should check? Thanks for any help. ... getting a tiny bit done before it overheats is so darn frustrating.

Kip

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Well, you haven't mentioned a few things:
>Have you cleaned out the debris from the radiator screen? And the radiator fins?
>Have you checked the radiator fluid?
>Have you checked the oil level?
>Have you checked the HST oil level (if so equipped)?
>Have you checked the HST temperature? Might need a surface temp gauge.

>What is the height of the foliage being cut?
>To what level is it being cut? ie. 12" cut to 3"
>What is the composition? Grass, brush, vines, small trees, etc.
>Is there a large amount of debris expelled? It usually windrows with a Bush Hog.
>What size (width) is the Bush Hog?

>Have different techniques been tried? Large overlaps, cutting twice 1-high/2-low, etc.

Let us know and help is easier to provide and more specific to your circumstances. If you happen to have photos of the job, they might help as well.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How many hours on the tractor? I'm sure that you've check the coolant level, but it bears asking. Is the radiator clogged up with dust and debris? That is pretty common- air can't flow freely through it, cooling the antifreeze. Belts good? Fan good, blades clean, turning as it should?
The most common thing is a clogged radiatior- check that by blowing through the fins with compressed air, from the engine side, blowing towards the front of the tractor. Blow the stuff back the way that it came in. Just be careful of the fins- they are fragile.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check coolant level, make sure radiater fins aren't clogged with dirt, trash, bugs, hose out fins if necessary with water and degreaser. Could be a sticky thermostat, or water pump starting to get bad.

Does the temp shoot right up or is it gradual?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've been trying to bush hog our overgrown pasture and our 2500 keeps overheating. Am I doing something wrong....is there something I should check? Thanks for any help. ... getting a tiny bit done before it overheats is so darn frustrating.

Kip
Kip,

all these guys are right on, check what they said and report back!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Welcome to the site. I'm thinking we all punched out a reply and hit send at the same time:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If all is clean and full and the fan belt is tight and not slipping, then you might have an internal problem.
Or another option might be that it has a bad sending unit or gauge.
Is it getting hot enough to steam or overflow?
A bad water pump usually will leak out of the front of the shaft under the pulley, and will cause it to over heat.
Stuck or malfunctioning thermostat can do it.
Then worse case is bad head gasket or cracked head or block.
To test for the last set of problems, let it cool down so it's safe to pull the cap, fill full, start and run tractor with cap off, look in the radiator for bubbles.
If you have bubbles you have exhaust gases getting into the water rising the pressure and super heating it, it will need to be torn down and find the problem.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Please don't consider yourself 'dumb' for asking question(s). Everybody here started out new at one time, even though some of us tend to forget occasionally.

Please post back with details as suggested and let's see if we can provide assistance.

First though, check your radiator for being clogged with debris. Flush gently with water hose from both sides repeatedly until water runs clear from both sides. Don't use a nozzle as will bend fins. A hose-end sprayer (like for lawns) filled with liquid detergent might help.

I've suggested on here--and respondents indicate works in their own use--installing a cheap $1 blue/white/green/pink coarse fiberglass HVAC filter ahead of your radiator (or radiator screen is so equipped and still present). The HVAC techs in my area call these things useless cat-hair catchers, but works great on Kubotas. Avoid the type with metallic grid as may short a battery or rub a hose or wire.

This is especially handy if brushhogging taller heavy growth with intense seed heads, tiny leaves, and lots of dust.

When you see your temp gauge climb a notch or two stop and remove the newly-installed prefilter and shake it out, reinstall it, keep going.

On my brushhog machine a 20x20x1 filter works great. You can always trim it to fit if desired, but I tend to make it fit by folding and overlapping. When it gets too dirty, replace it.

If we get past the possibility of a clogged radiator, then with your additional details maybe we can get focused in on what other problem(s) might exist. With a bit of back-and-forth I bet you can find a solution.

Please post back your experiences--and your additional questions if any--so we may all learn together.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah,, we was all new and dumb at one time,,,
and now some of us:rolleyes: is old and still just as dumb,,lol :D