Neighbor wants to sell his 2017 B2601 to me.

bmedeiros678

Equipment
K2601
Jun 28, 2018
North attleboro, MA
Hi All. New to this forum, tractors and Kubota in general. Neighbor wants me to take over the payments of the machine that he’s had for close to or over a year. I have no clue how these things work or what they are worth. How are they with small hills? I have 3 acres of woods and brush that I want to thin out so that it is walkable. Comes with a canopy, turf tires, a weight box in the back and a quick disconnect bucket. Will try to upload a photo. Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I can tell you this after owning two tractors: Once you have one you will wonder how you ever got along without one. You will come up with uses that you could never imagine now.

Gotta give us a little more to help you make a decision...

-What are the payments.
-What is the loan period.
-Can you pay it off early.
-How many hours on the machine.
-Any damage? (Your picture was minuscule)
-Any extra stuff?

A tractor does not cut down trees. But, the loader on the tractor sure makes hauling the cut pieces out of the woods easy. Think "4WD Super wheelbarrow."

Its not the biggest tractor but, if he has taken care of it and it has a implement or two, go for it.

:)

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would be cautious about “Taking Over Payments”. Does he want to get rid of it because he can’t make the payments? If so, is he behind? If you take them over, he is still technically the owner of the tractor in the eyes of the creditor unless you get them to actually transfer the loan into your name. Otherwise, you are helping to improve someone else’s credit score, not yours. Also if it is in his name, getting your insurance to cover it will be hard.

bmedeiros678

Equipment
K2601
Jun 28, 2018
North attleboro, MA
I believe he said $340. Maybe it was a 60 month loan when he bought it at 0%.
What is meant by insurance? Do you mean I have to get this thing registered? No damage and the only hours on it were spent on my land. Under 200 anyway. I know he has forks that screw onto the loader. If he paid $3k off so far it would be like getting a discount vs buying new right? I am hoping this thing can go up inclines. I have a small hill that I would need to travel over. Does Kabuta have list prices I can find online?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you go onto Kubota’s website you can choose build your own and it will tell you what the list price is. As far as insurance, you don’t have to insure like an automobile, but if you have a loan they will want it insured for damages and if you own it, you will usually be covered on your homeowners policy but not if it is someone else’s name.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I believe he said $340. Maybe it was a 60 month loan when he bought it at 0%.
What is meant by insurance? Do you mean I have to get this thing registered?
Sounds like he financed it through Kubota, as many of us do given the true 0%. Kubota, and probably any other lender, will want documentation that it is insured against theft, fire, etc. In my case, my homeowners policy was sufficient. Kubota has their own insurance program as well--not sure you can get in on that as a second owner, but if you think you might use the tractor off of your own property (something my homeowner's won't cover), it's worth looking into.

The B2601 is a nice machine--compact but capable.

bmedeiros678

Equipment
K2601
Jun 28, 2018
North attleboro, MA
Thanks for all the tips guys. I’m looking for videos of FEL (just learned that term) scraping brush and saplings. Also just heard of piranha teeth I can add to the bucket to help move brush around. At some point I could get a brush mower too. So much to learn if I go this route.
I was told it is financed through kabota. I’ll see if I can find any more useful info and see if I can upload bigger photos.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
The B2601 is an awesome little machine.

Check out my trails thread to see how much u can do with it.

They are stable & yard friendly.

How much that one is worth is the hard part to know...

Depends on how many payments he has left at $340

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As long as the transfer is done through Kubota finance and they just start billing you then your golden. ;)

bmedeiros678

Equipment
K2601
Jun 28, 2018
North attleboro, MA
The B2601 is an awesome little machine.

Check out my trails thread to see how much u can do with it.

They are stable & yard friendly.

How much that one is worth is the hard part to know...

Depends on how many payments he has left at $340
Seeing that thread will help a lot. Know I have to figure out how to find it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If it's zero percent there was probably a down payment. Short answer - even if it's 60 month, if you take over payments after a year you're paying 80% of new. And if there was a down payment, even better.

In the absence of any other factor we don't know about, yeah, that's deal of the century, grab it.

Factors that might be relevant, including stuff other people said:

- if tractor's been abused. Sounds like answer is no
- if he's behind on payments or something goes wrong with you actually owning the tractor. Assuming you trust the guy, not a problem
- Tractor is wrong size for you. A B2601 is a good tractor, sounds like your land isn't too big, and it's your first tractor. Reasonable chance it's the right tractor for you, and definitely better than no tractor
- you don't actually need a tractor at all. If this was true, then it's money wasted. But let's be honest, everyone needs a tractor. :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd try calling the dealer he purchased it from to confirm any service, problems, etc. Get their opinion of the situation (You could also confirm it is not stolen, just for being safe).

The worse thing I could imagine is buying a piece of fairly new equipment thinking you got a bargain and then find out you don't really own it after the finance company comes and gets it!

bmedeiros678

Equipment
K2601
Jun 28, 2018
North attleboro, MA
Thanks Paul. I’ll get the details. This neighbor grew up on a farm and had been taking care of heavy equipment for over 50 years. He has been teaching me everything since i moved next to him. He sold me his jd x590 2015 with 3 three bag power flow system for $5k. Engine had less than 200 hours. He writes everything down when it comes to maintence and teaches me how to change all fluids and yardwork the right way. He even “yelled” at me because I didn’t rake properly. I couldn’t have made my property what it is today without him and just feel that this is a good move. Much respect to you all for knowing how to do this stuff. I moved from the city to 4 acres of distressed property and loving every moment.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
(You could also confirm it is not stolen, just for being safe).
There's a twist I didn't think of.

Doesn't sound like the case here, but great thing to keep in mind anytime you're looking at a used machine......

Last edited: