Negotiating on B 2601 - Web Build Price vs Dealer

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I just completed a build your own on Kubota's site for a B2601. The base price Kubota listed is $16,025. My dealer in central Virginia has quoted me $15,500 for this tractor.

So a bit less, but I've gotten the impression from discussion boards that the dealer's price is often at least $1,000 off MSRP. What influences these things? How can I find out or negotiate? I mean literally, do I say, "I will pay XXXXX"? If I do that, I have to walk. And I'd like a B2601.

On most options he seems a little high. I am trying to get a clarification on his loader, bucket, quick attach price because his quote is $4225, whereas I read the web quote/manufacturer's suggested price as $3,929. Maybe I missed something as the online loader pricing is piecemeal. It's a difference of almost $300, but he didn't list the grille guard and I've emailed him to ask if that's included.

Another example: he quotes a manual Land Pride front 5' blade at $1,820. The manufacturer's suggested price for it on the web quote is $1,753. So only $67, but that adds up over several implements.

Maybe I'd be better to work harder on getting another $500 off the tractor? I don't know how motivated he is to sell. Or, yet, what they have in stock. This dealer is 2 hours from me but they are getting ready to open a big branch in my town.

It seems to me he has knocked a little off the tractor and is making it up with the implements. There is a $700 implement rebate being offered, but that shouldn't seem to inflate the price on each implement. Maybe it does.

Obviously I don't know where or how to best negotiate. I'd appreciate any advice.

busterja21

Oct 12, 2019
colorado
The most straight forward discount is the equine club https://www.kubotausa.com/equine-offer (no 0% financing if you use this route)

Otherwise I would say 10% off MSRP + rebates is pretty good starting point for your negotiations. Just call a few dealers in your area and tell them you are looking to buy a 2601 in the next few weeks and you'd like them to provide a quote with their best price. Then narrow it down to 2, maybe three that seem like they will work with you or that you want to work with, call them back in a few days with your offer and see where it goes. If you do it via the phone you wont be pressured to make a decision on the spot, most of them will email their offers to you in writing, so take your time and pick the one that suits you best.

Make sure the quotes include all fees they charge out the door.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Right now with supply shortages, there is less deals than there was 12 months ago. Actually, most dealers are lucky to have all the tractors and implements they need to put a package together.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mossy,

What dealer(s) are you working with? You west of Roanoke or in this neck of the woods?

Anyway - as BAP pointed out, in days of old, which seemed like 100 years ago, you could do the math on the computer and THEN go into the dealer and be a little surprised that the cost was actually 10% of the list price........ not sure those days are gone, but they have been put on hold for sure!!!

One thing I was NOT prepared for was the insurance, that is a double edge sword - ugly to pay but great to have!!!! That added a $1,000 on top of the best deal I got 7 years ago.

I would do as said - but rather than call - take time and go and see someone Face2Face - and get a printout of what they charge ............... then you have the tools to go BACK to dealer "X" and say - I would love to buy from you but ...... you are $200 higher here.... blah blah..........

have your facts straight - look in the eye and smile a hellva lot....... tell them, I am wanting to be YOUR customer in the present and the future!!! Blow the ol sunshine up their backsides!

As for 0% - I don't care what people say, if you go in there with a wad of cost or stroke off a check YOU MIGHT get a discount ....... I tried that and I was quoted $500 off the $22,500 deal....... I said screw that, put my checkbook back and took the big ZERO ........ as I have said here many times - two kinds of people, those that have lots of money - and those who do not.

They (Big K) will always make their money - period, but if you borrow ANYONES money at 0% ..... then paying off early is ...... well .... stupid!!!! And that monthly payment gets easier every month too!!!!

There are two great dealers a little east of you - one in Vinton and one south of Lynchburg, both easy to work with too - NOT sure what they have in stock, I do know that Lburg has a lotttttttt of orange outside!

PM me if you have any questions - be glad to help.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The Kubota website hasn't been updated to reflect that the B-Series is discontinued. It has been replaced by the LX series. A bit larger beefier tractor, and the new model is giving dealers some incentives to sell a little cheaper than the B2601. I'm happy I let my dealer talk me into a bigger tractor for less cost.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK Mossy my 2601 came with a FEL, 60 inch MMM, filled tires and a 55 inch Land Pride grapple, the out the door was 24K if that helps any, and the B2601's are like hens teeth from what I hear

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The Kubota website hasn't been updated to reflect that the B-Series is discontinued. It has been replaced by the LX series. A bit larger beefier tractor, and the new model is giving dealers some incentives to sell a little cheaper than the B2601. I'm happy I let my dealer talk me into a bigger tractor for less cost.
B Series line isn't going anywhere. LX does not replace B2601, it replaces B2650 and up. In fact, more options are being added to the B series line for certain sub models.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
OK Mossy my 2601 came with a FEL, 60 inch MMM, filled tires and a 55 inch Land Pride grapple, the out the door was 24K if that helps any, and the B2601's are like hens teeth from what I hear
Thanks, Skeets. What was the base price for just the tractor?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Right now with supply shortages, there is less deals than there was 12 months ago. Actually, most dealers are lucky to have all the tractors and implements they need to put a package together.

You nailed it. Supply and Demand and demand outstrips supply presently so negotiations might be fruitless. Again, my view is always a local dealer. You'll need them at some point so better to bit the bullet than be 'out in the cold' over an inconsequential price difference. A couple hundred bucks is chump change.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
B2601 13,450
MMM 2800
FEL 3920
Grapple1750
3rd function 800
+ 6% sales tax

=

• Love

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
My experience from June 2020:

1) Got a Kubota Website quote on everything, Let say it was 26K
2) Went to the big dealership, he quoted me 27K for everything.
3) Went to the small dealership, he quoted me 25K for everything.

I went with the small dealership. Not that I quibble on prices, but that was significant.
The small dealership I'm sure is already making up on the difference because since then I've probably done a thousand more in business on little parts and accessories I've wanted/added.

OP, some of what you said seemed to be quibbling over the price. I would not beat up a dealership for even a couple-three hundred, if I know I'm going to be having to build a relationship with him over many years. The price breaks will come. If they don't, you move on.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I was quoted by Rocky Mount Tractor 6 months ago, B2601 $14,495, Loader $4,250, Backhoe $8,195, -$700 implement disc., -$800 cash sale, total $25,440 +tax
I ended up finding same Tractor used with 61 hrs. 30 minutes from my home with extended warranty for $22,500.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
My experience from June 2020:

1) Got a Kubota Website quote on everything, Let say it was 26K
2) Went to the big dealership, he quoted me 27K for everything.
3) Went to the small dealership, he quoted me 25K for everything.

I went with the small dealership. Not that I quibble on prices, but that was significant.
The small dealership I'm sure is already making up on the difference because since then I've probably done a thousand more in business on little parts and accessories I've wanted/added.

OP, some of what you said seemed to be quibbling over the price. I would not beat up a dealership for even a couple-three hundred, if I know I'm going to be having to build a relationship with him over many years. The price breaks will come. If they don't, you move on.
Thanks, Paul. What you said about quibbling is where I am now at. In my defense, though, I used implement quibbling to suss out if the dealer is going to be negotiable on only $500 off MSRP on the tractor. He emailed me back this morning and held firm on the implements. So I imagine the tractor price is firm.

I do plan to check with a smaller but long-time dealer on the advice of another OTT member. This dealer is 1:20 from me vs. 2:20 for the one I contacted. But as I said originally, the bigger, farther dealer is opening a store 20 minutes from me.

My experience with two previous Kubotas and a JD was ZERO mechanical problems. So goinb by that, buy where the price is best. But this tractor is a lot more sophisticated than those old gear drive models I owned that didn't even have loaders. And I hear the issues on here that some have. Yet again, it seems like it would be good to support a dealer 20 minutes from me.

I guess I can see paying the eventually local dealer a bit more. But if I could get the tractor $1,500 - $2,000 cheaper . . . that's tempting! By the way, I hate this mushy pricing but it's the game. My wife says I love this process because I try to negotiate and I flail around. She'd get out the checkbook now and be done with it.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Yea, if my situation were reversed, for a couple thousand I would have went with the big dealer too.
That's a chunk of change.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
When I got my 2601 a couple months ago, the whole thing was done via email due to COVID. It was great. Took some back and forth but the Equine discount kinda took the BS away. Just a straight 20% off MSRP......then it was down to which implements etc. I didn't have to deal with getting the insurance......but if you finance be prepared for that $ as it is not a small sum.

Prior to the equine discount it was basically 100% MSRP.

The dealer prep fee was worth it in my mind as they deal with all the assembly of everything including my implements which saved me time and grief.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
River, how and when do you lay the equine membership on them? My fear is that the salesman will then pad the setup. I guess that would be awkward if he has already quoted it?

I wonder if the equine discount would hurt his commission and that he'd be somehow harder to deal with. This guy is nice and communicative just not very negotiable. Back in the fall I made a similar pass at him and he wasn't negotiable then either. Maybe the dealership makes up for that in terms of service but I don't know that and won't for a long time.

When I got my 2601 a couple months ago, the whole thing was done via email due to COVID. It was great. Took some back and forth but the Equine discount kinda took the BS away. Just a straight 20% off MSRP......then it was down to which implements etc. I didn't have to deal with getting the insurance......but if you finance be prepared for that $ as it is not a small sum.

Prior to the equine discount it was basically 100% MSRP.

The dealer prep fee was worth it in my mind as they deal with all the assembly of everything including my implements which saved me time and grief.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
River, how and when do you lay the equine membership on them? My fear is that the salesman will then pad the setup. I guess that would be awkward if he has already quoted it?

I wonder if the equine discount would hurt his commission and that he'd be somehow harder to deal with. This guy is nice and communicative just not very negotiable. Back in the fall I made a similar pass at him and he wasn't negotiable then either. Maybe the dealership makes up for that in terms of service but I don't know that and won't for a long time.
I got an initial quote, which was basically 100% MSRP then learned on forums of the Equine discount......and since we own a horse he finally paid us back a little bit as my wife is a member of a few organizations that qualified. I mentioned it to the sales guy in my email exchanges as "hey I just heard Kubota offers a discount for certain equine organizations.....we have a horse and belong to a few how would that impact price?" He answered pretty straight forward with 20% off MSRP on Tractor and included Kubota brand implements (not Land Pride FYI).

busterja21

Oct 12, 2019
colorado
Implements are also 20% off with the equine discount if bought at the same time. No reason to wait telling the dealer once you have a membership.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota prices very greatly per location, central US is going to have different prices than east and even west coast.
Shop any local dealers you can and see if there is a $$$ difference between them.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
On dealers - yeah, it sort of matters. But a B2601 is a simple tractor, no DPF or the likes. Low risk of it breaking. And when the new branch opens near you, they're new. You turn up to buy stuff, they'll be very happy with your cash. In some ways, they're OK if you get a great price (= low margin) somewhere else, then buy all the consumables (= high margin) from them. I really can't imagine them not selling you stuff you want because you didn't originally get the tractor from them - specially when they weren't even open when you bought. They may not do warranty work for you if you didn't buy it there, but they may as they'll be a new dealership and need business. Either way, not that likely to need warranty work anyway.