Need tractor in NH - B or L?

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
Closing on my new home soon, and hoping to be a tractor owner shortly afterwards.

I've been researching for a while and decided on Kubota. Still trying to figure out which model and implements.

New house is on about 8.5 acres. About 1.5 is the 800ft gravel driveway, 1.5 yard, 1.5 "cleared" (stump wasteland) and 4 dense woods. Whole property is totally flat. I believe it is former farmland.

Projects: Maintain driveway, snow removal, general landscaping, and a couple big projects like install patio, build shooting berms.

Leaning towards the L2501 with HST, R4 tires, SSQA, Land Pride SB1064 3pt snowblower, BB1266 box blade, a tooth bar, and 3pt forks for moving pallets.

But a B2301 can probably do most of what I'm looking for at a lower price. Could spend the extra $$ on a finish mower or maybe even a grapple.

Anyone want to talk me into one or the other? Only $2k difference between these 2 models similarly outfitted w/current incentives. So the L seems like a good value.

Thanks for the input!

rjv140

May 31, 2016
Pa
I am very interested in hearing responses as my situation is very similar to how you describe and I am looking at a kubota to do exactly as you describe (less the snow blower).

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are you planning on using it to mow lawn? If so consider the B series , B2301, B2601, B2650. Also, with 800 feet of driveway, you might want a front mount snow blower so you aren't looking over your shoulder for long periods of time.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
After owning a B7500 for 10 years it was replaced with an L3200. Most of the hours are spent pulling a 6' Landpride finish mower on our 3-1/2 acres. The R4 tires don't harm my grass. Our paved driveway is only about 300' long and a gravel drive to the shed is another 150' or so. I do snow removal at our place, a few nearby neighbors and our church. If I were to change anything it would be going a little larger to get a factory cab with A/C.

tomd999

Equipment
Mostly Deere tractors, only Orange here so far is Gramps Allis Chalmers
Jul 19, 2014
Manchvegas, NH.
Hiya,

I'm up the road a bit from you so being in the same area, I'll give my opinion.

With an 800 foot driveway a rear snow blower is going to be OK for a couple NH winters, after that turning around is going to get old and your going to want a front mounted blower. I figured this out myself and now have a front mounted blower for my 1200 foot driveway.

On the subject of NH winters, blowing snow in an open station tractor is OK for the first few years, after that, bundling up like the Michelin Man, wearing trash bags to keep you from getting wet as the blown snow falls on you when it's -10 degrees and the wind is gusting to 30MPH gets old really fast, a cab is a really good choice. I now blow snow wearing a tee shirt and slippers as I replaced my open station with a cab.

Basically, you have to look at your situation now as well as 20 years from now and make your choice so you can buy one tractor that meets your needs now and down the road as it's a lot less expensive in the long run to buy one tractor rather than 3 like I did before getting the correct size and features.

I would seriously consider a B series cab. It will cost more initially but after it's paid off you will have it for 20 or 30 years and not have to buy a different tractor. It took me 3 tractors to finally get what I really needed because I wanted to go for the lower cost model I could get away with. I ended up paying a lot more than I would have if I had just got the big cab tractor at the start.

I would also recommend turfs rather than R4's as I have had both and the turfs are better for just about everything on a homeowner property.

OK, that's my free advice take it for what it's worth.

PM me if you want to talk further, we are most likely just down the road from eachother and I'm always willing to talk tractors, guns or cars/motorcycles.

Tom

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Man, I'd say....do what Tom says. Best to learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!"

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Hiya,

I'm up the road a bit from you so being in the same area, I'll give my opinion.

With an 800 foot driveway a rear snow blower is going to be OK for a couple NH winters, after that turning around is going to get old and your going to want a front mounted blower. I figured this out myself and now have a front mounted blower for my 1200 foot driveway.

On the subject of NH winters, blowing snow in an open station tractor is OK for the first few years, after that, bundling up like the Michelin Man, wearing trash bags to keep you from getting wet as the blown snow falls on you when it's -10 degrees and the wind is gusting to 30MPH gets old really fast, a cab is a really good choice. I now blow snow wearing a tee shirt and slippers as I replaced my open station with a cab.

Basically, you have to look at your situation now as well as 20 years from now and make your choice so you can buy one tractor that meets your needs now and down the road as it's a lot less expensive in the long run to buy one tractor rather than 3 like I did before getting the correct size and features.

I would seriously consider a B series cab. It will cost more initially but after it's paid off you will have it for 20 or 30 years and not have to buy a different tractor. It took me 3 tractors to finally get what I really needed because I wanted to go for the lower cost model I could get away with. I ended up paying a lot more than I would have if I had just got the big cab tractor at the start.

I would also recommend turfs rather than R4's as I have had both and the turfs are better for just about everything on a homeowner property.

OK, that's my free advice take it for what it's worth.

PM me if you want to talk further, we are most likely just down the road from eachother and I'm always willing to talk tractors, guns or cars/motorcycles.

Tom
Everything Tom says is right on. Take 2 winters ago when we had snow storm after snow storm all winter long you will greatly appreciate the cab and front mounted snow blower. The B2650 cab is a nice tractor and stays away from the emission problems. Also, you can add on a mid mount mower down the road if you want one.

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
Thanks for all the input. Cab and front snowblower just arent in the budget. I get it, but there is just no way i can go $10k over.

I will ask the dealer for a quote so I can chew on it, but likely I will have to survive driving in reverse without a cab in winter. I feel like I'd prefer the ROPs open station for the rest of the year.

Tom, maybe we can talk shooting backstops!

Questions on the L2501 - 1) All my research indicates R4 tires. I will be in the woods and doing a lot of loader work. Why should I consider turf tires?

2) Didnt think I could mow with L because I figured its too heavy. Others have had success w/a 3pt mower? Is the weight an issue?

3) For those in NH - can i get by with something less expensive than a snowblower? Could I survive a winter with a rear blade and loader and buy the snowblower later? Or would a front SSQA blade be a good option? Any cheaper than Snowblower? Driveway is totally straight and flat, but very long.

Thanks.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I have been selling Kubotas, Massey and New Hollands for years now. B2650HSDC with LA534 loader, RCK60-30BA mower deck and the front snowblower package. Is the way to go.

Now with that being said please drive it first, IMO there is quite a bit of hydrostatic whine feedback enhanced by the cab. You may want to get the radio to drowned some of that.

Pat

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Seems sketchy that essentially a baby B has more 3pt lift than a baby L. One thing Im dissapointed in while eyeing a larger replacement machine, is how wimpy the loaders are on the "economy" machines. The LXX01 series, Massey 17XXE, Deere 30XXE. Id rather take a bath with the interest on a used machine, Tier3, stout loader, than the 0% on these new Tier 4 toys...

Always go bigger. I bought my B7610 from a guy in NH, he went bigger right after I handed that zip-lok bag of hundreds....

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Pedzola, I sent you a PM.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The 3-point finish mower works well for me. I've had three 5-footers and now a 6-footer. The first 5-footer was a belly mower on a 2WD Cub 154 LoBoy with turf tires. The rest have been rear mowers so I guess I prefer RFM's 3:1:)

The LoBoy was very easy on the grass. It did lack traction to the point that small hills were a little bothersome. The L3200 (4WD w/ R4's) has been easier on the grass than the Ford (4WD w/ R1's) and the B7500 (4WD w/ R4's). I have the perfect test bed for that. The lower yard has a small creek that goes from about 4 or 5 feet wide to about 100 feet wide when there's a heavy rain. Following the rain, the existing ground is soft and there's usually a thin layer of someone else's topsoil deposited on top of it. I can get on that part of the yard sooner with the L3200 than I could with the others. The L3200 is heavier but has a bigger footprint.

I never mow with the loader attached and very rarely use 4WD while mowing. Either of these can cause some tearing of the turf on tighter turns.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Seems it is common when trying to purchase tractor what to get. I purchased B2650HSDC . I did not want to spend as much and also wanted bigger tractor which in a way I talked myself into smaller for 4 acres. The Cab is nice and no regrets with this tractor other than thinking should have went larger to grand L or something like that. What you save now you lose on trade in when you go up. MY 2 cents ( canadian so not sure what that converts to in US LOL)
You will be happy with B2650 cab is great. I also got front blower to save neck problems:D:D

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
Some new incentives from Kubota through July. Website has total incentives on L2501 at $2800 ($1300 tractor + $1500 implements) vs $2050 before.

Extra $750 makes the L2501 cheaper than the B2650 similarly equipped by a bit, and likely about the same price as a B2601 if I'm doing my math right.

Only $500 for the B's, but $1500 on the BX's. Got me to look at the BX machines again. Apart from the crappy loader and 3pt, I wonder if they would do everything I need? 51" snowblower vs the 64 on the L?

Anyone in snowy areas get by on a rear blade? Might spend snowblower $$ on a 3pt mower instead. I can just imagine the blower is going to take FOREVER on my long driveway. Had a dealer for a different brand tell me 25hp is very underpowered for a 64" blower.

Still thinking the L2501 is right for me but thinking about the benefits of a smaller tractor (bx) in terms of space saving, getting into tighter spots, good for mowing, and of course saving a lot of $$.

Seems to be a ton of BX's out there and people get a lot done w/them.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Pedzola,

You could get by with a rear blade for snow, the challenge is keeping up with it during a bigger storm. If a lot of wet snow it could be a royal pain, but if light fluffy like we get here most of the time works great. I have the 5455HD on my BX25D and it powers it no problem, only had one good snow last year to test it with but a foot of heavy snow wasn't an issue.

I went BX for the side hill when mowing at the lake and with the savings more implements. In a couple years the projects will be done and it will be a lawnmower. Really depends on what the needs are both long & short term.

Good luck with the purchase!

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
When I bought my B2710 I was talked out of a front mount snow blower by the salesman and told it would be easier and cheaper for the rear 3pt blower. I never liked the idea of backing down my 100' plus driveway, downhill into the road so I never bought one. I ended up using an ATV for the snow as much as I could and only used the tractor to push back the snowbanks.

Now 16 years later my body/back can't handle the snow as well and I started using the tractor with the FEL to clear the driveway. Well even going forward the tractor will SLIDE down the hill due to the snow creeping in behind the bucket and the weight of the tractor just losing traction and off I go! I always make sure that if I start to slide I am going forward and not sideways but it is a pain.

Last year I was fortunate to find a front mount 63" snowblower that was designed for the B2710 and I bought it immediately! I cannot believe the difference! No snowbanks, the snow is blown 50-80 feet away! IF YOU LIVE IN NH, BUY THE SNOW BLOWER YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

My next project is creating some type of enclosure (I don't want to spend $2,000 to $5,000 on a cab) that will keep the blown snow off of me. I have already mounted a canopy with new work lights and now I am working with my wife on creating the clear vinyl sides mounted to the canopy and held to the tractor with rare earth magnets. All total I will be into for about $275 for the canopy and $3,500 for the snowblower with a new subframe.

One of the storms we had last winter was so heavy and wet my ATV went right up on top of it even though it was only about 4 inches deep. I could not plow it for anything. The snowblower picked it up and threw it like 50 feet (see pic.). Man I love that thing...

Attachments

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
So I'm still undecided about which tractor to get.

I've tried prioritizing everything I think I need to do and the frequency... the B2650 comes out on top. But it is the most costly of all options.

Starting to wonder if the backhoe of a BX25D would be more useful than the stronger FEL and ground clearance of a B.

Maybe I will swing over to the dealer to take another look.

So at this point I'm considering any Kubota from BX2370 to L2501. :confused: W/the BX's I could get a front mount blower in my budget.

Fredbussiere

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 28, 2016
Barrington,NH
I just sold a bx 2200 with FEL, MMM, front mount snowblower. Was a great machine and served me for over 14 years. Put on the winter coat, snow pants, gloves and hat and snow blow away!! I wanted a bigger machine and got a great b7510 with low hours. I'm ordering a new front mount snowblower in the fall and the $4500 expense will be well worth it. Front mount all the way, who needs a cab!