Need to

scrhino48

New member

Equipment
kubota l2501
Need advice on converting a bush hog from pto to hydraulic pump run from a hydraulic power pack need information on what pumps are needed will be using a kubota L2501 pto to power the pump i know my tractor hydraulics can not run the bush hog because it only has a 5.15 gpm flow pressure of 2200 please help

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
 

Bulldog

Well-known member

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
5,434
80
48
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just curious, why change to hyd drive?

You're fixing to get into some serious $$$ to do this. Pump, tank and drive motor alone will probably be couple thousand at least. Then add in all the lines, controls and a place to mount everything. Look at a county tractor with a side mower. You're going to need what they have but trying to stuff it on a small tractor. You may be better off to find a old county or state tractor already set up.
 

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,966
5,691
113
SW Pa
YUP what he said, he is one of the guys I would listen to
 

scrhino48

New member

Equipment
kubota l2501
hello, I am not changing the drive of the tractor. I want a pto hydraulic pump to run off my pto to supply hydraulic power to turn a 4 foot bush hog. what I need to know is what size pump is needed to send hydraulic fluid from the tank thru the pto pump to the hydraulic pump that will turn the bush hog. I have a front end loader on my tractor and have no plans to change anything on the tractor this project is strictly to put a 4 foot bush hog on my front end loader by using a quick hitch 3 point adapter to hook a 3 point bush hog to so I can reach out over ditches and mow the tall grass and little trees down. I have a idea what all this is going to cost and it will be a lot cheaper then buying a ready to go hydraulic power pack from a company that thinks its made of gold. thanks in advance
 

Bulldog

Well-known member

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
5,434
80
48
Rocky Face, Georgia
You may want to contact VMC. I have a VMC Orsi rb110 boom mower which is hyd driven from the pto. They make a lot of different type cutters including hyd driven for skid steers which is basically what you are wanting to do. Might be able to get some good info for them since they build them. Hope this helps.
 

conropl

Member

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
233
18
18
West Michigan
I think you need to start your design from the other end. Pick a hydraulic motor first, and sizing the motor is dependant on the torque and speed requirments... which depends on the gear box (ratio), efficiency of the gear box, and the expected load.

With the hydraulic motor chosen, then that determines what flow and pressure your pump will need to produce (with appropriate transmision losses figured in).

But to give you some idea, I was looking at possibly using hydraulic motor to drive a snow blower on my FEL (on L3560 with 28hp pto). But it was looking like I was going to be short on PTO hp to do the job well (plus it was pretty expensive way to go). I am not sure what motor would be required for you bush hog, but I can not imagine it is much less than a snowblower, and your PTO hp is less than mine. I would really do my homework before sinking that kind of money into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,488
11,272
113
Sandpoint, ID
That is going to be a tough task to do.
The reason most power units are so expensive is the parts needed to pull it off.
I understand the desire to do it for cheaper with less parts, but it just will not work.

Most PTO power units need a MID PTO to run them (2100RPM) or anything close.
The rear PTO on your unit only spins at 540RPM, so first you would need a gear box to increase the speed of the PTO.
Next you can not just use the supply and reservoir of the tractor as it will over heat in no time flat.
You also need more HP than what your L2501 will put out. ;)
 
Last edited:

BAP

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
3,205
1,319
113
New Hampshire
A 4' bush hog hanging out from the loader of a L2501 could very easily overload the loader. They aren't exactly light and extra length will put a lot of leverage on the loader.
 

Dave_eng

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
5,255
1,059
113
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I agree with the others on the complexity of doing this project.
There was a time when people wanted front mounted large snow blowers and drive-lines were, and I think still are available, that will run a pto shaft from the rear pto to the implement on the loader. Lift height of the loader has to be limited.

This first image is of the two gear boxes used to send the pto power to the front of the tractor and turning in the correct direction.


This image shows the pto shaft going forward to drive a blower.



Landpride makes a hydraulic unit and the spec's in this link may help you decide a way forward.

http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/specs/316-271s.pdf

Prince makes a pto driven pump that has internal gears to boost the 540 rpm to a higher speed to drive the pump.

http://northernhydraulics.net/catalog/prince-pumps-300-1.html?gclid=CLv6-tWGpdYCFRq1wAodqfwL4w

More thoughts. Your tractor spec's indicate a pto hp of 19 to 20.

Bushhog on this link says min HP required for a 4' bush hog is 15 HP.
http://www.bushhog.com/catalog/rota...-series/razorback-series-rotary-cutters/#tabs

The losses in your hydraulic driven pto setup may use up the small margin between bush Hog's 15 HP and your PTO HP of say 19 leaving you no engine power to drive your tractor forward.

Dave M7040
 
Last edited: