Need to purchase new starter for L2600DT

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Just by happenstance this weekend we had a starter quit starting on a Ford 300-ci stationary engine. All it would do was 'clack' but wouldn't turn. This was OEM 1968 not previously touched.

Took it apart and found the shaft was bone dry. The spur gear wouldn't throw forward when the magnet tried to engage. You said yours wouldn't turn when engaged. Try lubing all the rotating parts without slinging grease everywhere--a dry sleeve bearing or something similar could be a problem.

I used two drops of Kroil on the shaft and a few daubs of white lithium rebuild grease, worked everything by hand, benched it, and it whirred like new. Back in business.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

JoBo

Equipment
B5100, D905 powered generator
Mar 15, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
OK since I was the first responder and got the e-bay starter I'll tell the rest of the story:D

My old starter would about half the time "click" but not turn. Being a the person I am I took it apart suspecting it was most likely the switch on the solenoid. I also found the brush holder had sagged and allowed two brushes to wear at about a 45 degree angle. Those two brushes had worn severely and were connected to the windings. My way of thinking is was past of ecconomically for me to repair regardless if the parts were overpriced or not.

If this tractor was not 30 some years old and used commercially to make a living maybe a new one would be the way to go. But I'll be using it maybe once a week during the summer months mowing my small yard, maybe one hour at the most.

Zeeman

Equipment
2600DT bush hog, disk, plow, fork, 16' trailer
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Thanks for the posts guys. I have the starter and solenoid completely taken apart, but have not been able to make pictures yet. I will soon though, I promise. I don't know enough to tell whether it is lubricated correctly or not, but I will certainly try anything that will save me a bunch of money.

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Wolfman, I have pictures of the starter now, and I will try again to upload them. Please let me know if you see anything wrong. I can take close up pictures of something if it will help you diagnose my problem. Also, how do I clean and lube it? Thanks.

Last edited:

jdl25

Equipment
L185
May 7, 2014
Wendell NC
I do not know how to help you with your starter but I did want to say I am following your thread and that your pictures are excellent.

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Thanks. I'm hoping Wolfman will chime in sometime soon. I'll keep everyone posted on how this turns out. It's planting time for me, so I need to do something soon.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All of the material / metal looking grindings are from one of the brushes.
You need to pull the brush plate off from the amature because that's where you will be testing it, and also that's where there will be a problem if there is one.
You can clean all the parts with brake parts cleaner.
I see already you need a brush set.
Pull the brush plate off and look at the armature for burns or broken parts.
slide the brush springs off to the side and pull the brushes out of there holders.
Then I'll show you how to measure it with a meter. ;)

Last edited:

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Something shredded the brushes,
#1 cause of this is a pick up blade that has lifted and is catching the brushes.
#2 something has gotten in there and caused the brushes to get damaged, could have even been a piece of one of the brushes themselves.
If you inspect and there is no damage to the pick-up blades, and you meter the armature and there is no shorts, just put a set of brushes in it and call it good.

I started this thread off advocating using Genuine Kubota parts, I really think using stock parts is usually the best option, but after looking into the insane :eek: amount they want for parts, even from a very reasonable wholesaler, I'm rethinking my ideas. :eek:
You might be far better off getting parts elsewhere!

Kubota Brush set T1060-16800 $103.88
http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=46237
Kubota Armature T1060-16820 $564.96 (not a typo)
http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=46235
Kubota Complete starter T1060-16800 $587.36
http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=46234

Ebay brush set: $22.98
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-BRU...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d41ac4111&vxp=mtr
Ebay Complete starter: $169.94
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Hit...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c8c9a89a&vxp=mtr

You could go threw 4 of them before you reach stock prices!

Attachments

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Thanks again Wolfman. I have searched for two days looking for the brushes under just about every every google search I could find, but never thought to look on ebay. When I saw the price of over one hundred bucks for the brush plate, I thought to myself, I'm right back in the same boat I was in before with the high prices! I do see your point about using Kubota parts when possible, but I think I'll just go the ebay route. I'll check the armature closely again, and put a meter on it. I think I probably roughed the ends of the brushes up when using a wire wheel on my dremell to clean up the brush plate. I knew I was going to have to have new brushes, so I was not careful when cleaning the plate. I was just looking for the brushes, but getting the whole plate seems like the way to go for sure. You have been a great help. Now all I have to do is get this thing back together???

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Wolfman, I'm hoping that my brushes will get here today. Could you let me know what kind of grease to use, and where to put it. I'm assuming the gears, but how much, and is there any thing else that needs it? Thanks.

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
I got my starter back together a few minutes ago. Now all I have to do is hook the wires back up and start working. It worked like a charm on the bench. One tip for those who find it hard to get the brushes (4) to go over the armature: Slide the brush plate over a socket that is about the same size as the armature, then put the socket flush with the armature, and slide the brush plate assembly into place. Thanks for all the help I go from Wolfman and others. I really appreciate it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent to hear! :D
Wolfman,

picked up this post this morning, just wanted to say exxxceeelleent job in the walk through!!! That is what this place is all about !!!

Good patient and great doctor!!! And best of all, the bill for the aspirin wasnt too high!:D

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Yep, I was very pleased with the doctor visits, and with the final results. I can usually fix just about anything, I just need some help with the details. This is a great forum. I wish I could help out more.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't you just love those service manuals that show pictures, number components and then make statements like" ....remove shaft, bearing, seal. Re-assemble in reverse order." But you can't figure out what's holding the shaft in place so you can't get to the bearing and seal!

That is one nice thing about the internet. There is a forum for just about everything and knowledgeable people willing to help, who've been there and done it before.

I appreciate all the help I've received.