Need help selecting tiller size

iam4thapack

May 4, 2011
Morganton, NC
I have a Kubota B2400 2WD tractor that I am wanting to use with a rotary tiller. I am really looking hard at the King Kutter II tillers. I like the 48" model but it is offset and I do not like that for my application. Would my tractor have enough PTO HP to use a 60" King Kutter II? I plan on using it in my WNC red clay. It is for home use only and not for a business. I notice the manual says to not go above a 50". I have found several local dealers of KK including TSC (now if I could just get a 10% off coupon from them!)

Shane

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
I would highly recommend a Land Pride tiller. I got the RTR0550 for my BX, and it does wonderful things with my soil. It's 50" across, so that would fall within your tractor manual-specified limits, and it's made in the U.S. so parts can be had years from now when you need them (not made in a less-developed country from questionable stuff).

Not to mention you can get it in a Kubota orange, which makes it look factory . . . I'm such a sucker for orange now . . .

Let us all know what you come up with in the end and how you like it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
From my experience with KK tillers they take more HP to operate that most tillers on the market. They are built like a tank and made in Ala. If I had it to do over I would have bought a KK instead of a Bushhog tiller. Just don't overload your mule. My brother had a 48" KK on his B 7500 and his tractor would handle my 62" BH tiller easier than his 48". Having 6 tines per row tear the dirt up but it takes more HP to turn them.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I have a KK 48" and have been very happy with it since I bought it. heavy but does a nice job plus it is gear driven, at least the model I bought is. Don't forget to check the gearbox levels when setting one up. I've got 3 KK brand implements and have been happy with each one. I wouldn't back up from buying one again.

kytim

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a KK 48" and have been very happy with it since I bought it. heavy but does a nice job plus it is gear driven, at least the model I bought is. Don't forget to check the gearbox levels when setting one up. I've got 3 KK brand implements and have been happy with each one. I wouldn't back up from buying one again.

kytim
I have the KK II 48" also, and my B7100 powers it fine. It is very heavy and heavy duty, and I have noticed that it does not bounce at all when I till- I would imagine that lighter weight tillers might bounce some, but I haven't used another one.
A lot will depend on your soil- ours is rich and loamy, and isn't too hard to till. If you have packed red clay, a bigger tiller may be too much. Do you know someone with a tiller that size? Can you try it out on your tractor?

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I notice the manual says to not go above a 50".
Factors to consider: PTO Hp, 2wd vs 4 wd ,Rear tires tread type, Type of soil being tilled.

I would rather have the smaller tiller and have to make an extra pass than to purchase the larger tiller and find out my tractor did not have enough HP to operate the tiller or worse yet damage my tractor by overloading it.:(

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
You will be able to run the 60 inch tiller with your 18PTO horsepower tractor. You will probably have to get used to driving very slowly, though, f you're wanting to cut deeply.

Since you have HST, you'll be ok, but if your clay is heavy, and you're wanting to bury the tines, you'll have to go slow. A 48 inch may give you faster ground speed and be less finicky about carefully controlling the depth of cut. I have a 56 inch tiller on an 18 PTO horsepower machine, and this has been my experience.

Unless you are using a counter-rotating tiller, I don't think 2 or 4 wheel drive matters, nor does tire pattern. The tiller tries to push the tractor forward by the direction it rotates. My 2 wheel drive with turf tires, un-ballasted, has never had any issues with traction using the tiller, ever. The tiller doesn't seem to provide much, if any, drag in forward motion. It DOES suck the horsepower. In contrast, with that tractor, I can't even hope to pull a 4 foot disk.

iam4thapack

May 4, 2011
Morganton, NC
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I will go with the 48" to preserve forward speed and be able to do what I want in fewer passes. Our red clay packs down pretty hard so I do not want to pulverize it too much. Now to decide if I want an offset like the KK or go for another brand. Thank you everyone!

Shane

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Factors to consider: PTO Hp, 2wd vs 4 wd ,Rear tires tread type, Type of soil being tilled.

I would rather have the smaller tiller and have to make an extra pass than to purchase the larger tiller and find out my tractor did not have enough HP to operate the tiller or worse yet damage my tractor by overloading it.:(
I agree 100%. An extra pass or two is nothing- a tiller that won't work well on the tractor is a problem. Good choice on the 48"- I don't think you will be disappointed.

iam4thapack

May 4, 2011
Morganton, NC
TG-48YK
That's the heavy duty King Kutter model.
Heavy duty clutch, 6 tines.
I paid $1500 US, taxes in.
I plan on picking up one of those sometime this week. I have been terribly busy and haven't had time to do it yet. I received a 10% off coupon from TSC this week. I found one of the KK TH-48-YK tillers a few weeks back at one of their locations for $1499. With the coupon that makes it a good deal. I hope to go get it on Friday!

Thanks again to everyone. I will hopefully post some pics soon of my setup. Also going to pick up my scoop pan on Friday and maybe a 5' scrape blade as well!