Need help from truck guys

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Folks,

I just bought a truck to be used for my side business and I like everything but the height of the body. Its roughly 78" tall over the sides of the dump body. I think my B2650 would barely clear the side rail and not have room to dump from the loader. The truck body is aluminum and I'm looking for some suggestions to make it easier to dump over the sides. I suppose at some point I could do a body swap but that would likely cost me dearly.

Oh- need suggestions on aftermarket back up camera as well.

Right Side:
Ram Right Side.JPG

Left Side:
Ram Left Side.JPG

Anyone dealt with this issue before?

Should I:

1) Cut/notch the sides?
2) aluminum ramps?

Let me know if you think of any alternatives please. I'm all ears.

Last edited:

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Nice outfit!.. man that's a tuff one!
Would you cut the right side with the access too, I would think cutting and re- figgering and welding would be Big money unless you were doing it. What about a bigger Tractor?😎

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree taller loader. Alternatively, dump in through the back doors and make a wall that can fold down or attach to existing doors once you arrive where you want to dump.

Last edited:

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
Love it! I’ve been scouting the market for the same reason. Glad I saw this for my own shopping purposes. Good luck with it

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Nice truck!

I wouldn't cut the bed down. Big bucks and destroys value of bed.

I don't know the nature of your side business, but could you cut a 'groove' to lower the truck and maybe build a little ramp to raise the front of the tractor? You only need a few inches.

Or cut a ramp which would lower the rear tires while raising the fronts?

I'm thinking when you finished loading, you could level the ramp out if you don't add or subtract any dirt.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
what may work are "moveable loading ramps".

You can make them or buy them narrower than your truck box (or get the two piece ones) so you use your tractor to slide them in/out the back of your box and take to your jobsites (assuming your jobsites change and you take your tractor with you so permanent ramps at home wouldn't work).

tonnes of these on the market and lots of flexible sizes available.

Moveable Loading Ramps by Ledwell | Quality Manufacturing & Parts

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Is there enough space between the tires and the bed to lower the suspension a couple of inches? Or maybe run tires with a lower profile. Maybe both.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Steve congrats! that thing looks awesome!
I have difficulty loading those style trucks. When I do, I build a giant dirt ramp leading up to the back of it and then fill it from the rear. The ramp ends up being huge because its gotta get high into the bed and it needs to be very wide so you dont roll the tractor off and die. It's not fun! After the truck is loaded, you still have a giant pile left behind that needs to go somewhere lol skid loader will load that ez, perfect excuse to add one to the arsenal :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had thought about taller tires for the tractor (like the SU version). I'm not sure how much taller they are but it would certainly interfere with my garage door then without dropping the ROPS.

I'll look into it in more detail when I pick it up. maybe I'll have enough reach to get into the back of the bed from the trailer?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've seen trucks with 'fold down' sides, split 50/50ish. Allows material to be side loaded.
Easy to make. Bolt on hinges,mark centerline, remove hinges, cut on the line, reattach hinges.Guys here use removable pins. Takes couple hours to do it.
If your material is light, open back, drop, push forward. I do that all the time as the BX23S doesn't lift high enough for side dumping. Have done the dirt ramp too.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've seen trucks with 'fold down' sides, split 50/50ish. Allows material to be side loaded.
Easy to make. Bolt on hinges,mark centerline, remove hinges, cut on the line, reattach hinges.Guys here use removable pins. Takes couple hours to do it.
If your material is light, open back, drop, push forward. I do that all the time as the BX23S doesn't lift high enough for side dumping. Have done the dirt ramp too.
My last truck had drop sides. Loved them. I was looking for a similar set up but things are pretty scarce these days. I may talk to a local weld shop when the time comes or, perhaps I can get in touch with the company that made the body. They aren't that far from me.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Make 2 ramps out of 2X8's, stacked 3or 4 tall to get the clearance you'll need to unload. Cheap and ez to make and modify.
Oh, nice truck too!

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
That is one helluva aluminum dump body, even with the RPG strike.

(y)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That is one helluva aluminum dump body, even with the RPG strike.

(y)
Ha. Thanks.

The RPG strike is actually a bracket to hold the rear swing doors open. But yes, you're right...It does kind of look like its been wounded in Afghanistan...perhaps during the "withdrawal".

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Beautiful truck! I'd hate to cut it up.
Guy from work inherited a LARGE gooseneck dump trailer that was too tall to dump in.
He dug a ramped hole to back the trailer into, maybe 2' deep, then using those large "lock-together" landscape blocks & the dirt from the hole, built up a ramp alongside the hole, maybe 18-20" tall.
Gave him plenty of clearance.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have a friend who I know would cut the bed down, but he's a NASA certified welder, with a full shop, and about $5000 in Tig gear.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Lil foot. I hear ya. I'll be looking into some less dramatic options before elective surgery.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm kinda surprised they put that tall of a bed on that truck.
Seems like if you filled it with anything heavy, (dirt, gravel) you would be near or over capacity. Maybe the truck is a lot heavier duty than it looks.