Need help from truck guys

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm kinda surprised they put that tall of a bed on that truck.
Seems like if you filled it with anything heavy, (dirt, gravel) you would be near or over capacity. Maybe the truck is a lot heavier duty than it looks.
Maybe the previous owner hauled wood chips or grain.

If the OP buys a bigger tractor he will need a bigger truck.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My last truck had drop sides. Loved them. I was looking for a similar set up but things are pretty scarce these days. I may talk to a local weld shop when the time comes or, perhaps I can get in touch with the company that made the body. They aren't that far from me.
Maybe you can make a deal with the body manufacturer to trade that body for one that fits your needs. Might be cheaper than modifying the body.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've noticed salt trucks with similar beds on them, so perhaps that's what it was utilized for?
I think the guy had a construction business. Not sure why he got what looks to be like a grain body dump. There is some evidence of mulch dust in it. It certainly wasn't used hard at all and no evidence that it was a salter. Despite having a "plow prep package" there was never a plow connected to the truck (odd for a used 4x4).

I was just thrilled with the L Pack boxes. I really wanted those for landscaping tools/supplies. Loading up that stuff for a job is a real pain. My last truck was a crew cab which I removed the rear seat to install rack for shovels etc, and used the floor space for landscape tool boxes and supplies.

I think I could store a bunch of "day workers" in there. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Spoke with the fabricators that built the box. Very nice people by the way. They gave me a couple of options for cutting both sides down and finishing the rails for roughly $800-$1200. Converting both sides to a drop side at roughly $2-2.5K. At least I have a feel now for what I may need if portable ramps don't work.

Just for kicks, I asked what the body and boxes would go for now. He told me around $24K o_O
Makes feel much better about paying what I did for the truck. Yikes!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Spoke with the fabricators that built the box. Very nice people by the way. They gave me a couple of options for cutting both sides down and finishing the rails for roughly $800-$1200. Converting both sides to a drop side at roughly $2-2.5K. At least I have a feel now for what I may need if portable ramps don't work.

Just for kicks, I asked what the body and boxes would go for now. He told me around $24K o_O
Makes feel much better about paying what I did for the truck. Yikes!
I've seen some guys use boxes with sides that fold in half instead of full drop sides. To me that seemed like a good option, tall sides for holding bulk fluff and short sides to make ground access easier with smaller equipment.

Personally I like the idea of a hook lift truck. You can use it as a dump truck or put the bin on the ground for loading heavy stuff.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
What I think you need to do is run the truck over a scale when empty and see how much available payload it has. That can help determine if you go with drop sides or fold down sides. It also depends on what you plan to dump in the bed. If gravel or dirt, you don't want too much room because you can easily go over payload. Also remember that it is a commercial truck, not a passenger truck, and you are held to more stringent standards and scrutiny, weight being one of them.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I finally got around to testing the lift height of the B2650. Looks like I just made made it. Not real efficient, but I can just clear the sides and dump the bucket slightly.

Kubota Dump 1.JPG

I wound up taking the loader stand legs off and I think it helped some...in addition to getting rid of the rattle noise they make.

Kubota Dump 2.JPG

Maybe someone with a B2650SU or LX2610SU with R-4's could measure the height of their front and rear wheels for me? When it comes to replace mine, perhaps the SU version oversized tires would suffice?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I finally got around to testing the lift height of the B2650. Looks like I just made made it. Not real efficient, but I can just clear the sides and dump the bucket slightly.

View attachment 73857

I wound up taking the loader stand legs off and I think it helped some...in addition to getting rid of the rattle noise they make.

View attachment 73856

Maybe someone with a B2650SU or LX2610SU with R-4's could measure the height of their front and rear wheels for me? When it comes to replace mine, perhaps the SU version oversized tires would suffice?
Park the truck down hill and load from the uphill side 🙄🙄🙄🙄

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry I'm going to suggest as others have, get a bigger tractor, or even better yet a skid steed or track loader!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sorry I'm going to suggest as others have, get a bigger tractor, or even better yet a skid steed or track loader!
Good to see you NIW. Tough to do finish work with a tracked SVL. Besides, that truck wouldn't want to pull one either. ;)

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You may want to consider wood or rubber bumpers on those side rails.
Looks like you could reduce your rear tire pressure and increase your 3pt ballast.
The larger tires may help or hurt. The rears will be proportionately larger than the fronts, causing a little nose-down pitch. But you'd gain a little height, so which is more? After you know the new sizes, you could block under your current tires to see if you gain, lose or draw.

ridgerunner85

Equipment
L3200
Dec 19, 2019
PA
You could check to see if there is anyone that makes high lift buckets for compact tractors.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Ramps (single/dual/metal/dirt etc.) are sketchy and variable.

Based on the design, I would cut down the side front to back and cap it, then put a sideboard pocket on each end and run a couple side boards.

Any real heavy loads should be well under the boards and any brush freighted type loads should work well with them.

It would be the fastest and most cost effective as well.