Need Bridge (deck) input

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I saw this on Marketplace and thought of your project.

$5200.

This is a bridge that can be used in your backyard or on your farm or ranch. It is 25 feet long and 8 feet wide. It will handle 14,000 pounds. It is new.

1687963683914.png

1687963816936.png

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I consider trailer idea, but didn't want to go that route for a few reasons.

the last few days, I did get the remaining 2 concrete pads for the near side end of the beams poured and beams sprayed with rust inhibitor (jacked up and sprayed under as well) and bolted down to the concrete columns. Also got a few holes drilled - didn't take as long as I thought it would- especially since I was using a 20v dewalt drill with step bit using cutting fluid)

I found a few more localish mills that can do white oak boards - still waiting on quotes from a some.

Dan
"white oak boards" ??
Maybe..... white oak planks ??

Sdatrucking

Equipment
B7100.
Aug 26, 2022
Tagalong3746
I'd have to tear down my fence in at least 2 places to get a trailer that big to the creek. Interesting idea.

Dan
You can usually pick up wrecked or salvage trailers cheap around 2 grand for a 53 ft trlr in my neck of woods that’s a rolling trlr sold as storage a 20 ft pup trlr would be an easier option or an old 40 ft flat bed

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You can usually pick up wrecked or salvage trailers cheap around 2 grand for a 53 ft trlr in my neck of woods that’s a rolling trlr sold as storage a 20 ft pup trlr would be an easier option or an old 40 ft flat bed
Sounds like he's set on not removing any fence, but spending 3-4 times the cost of a ready to use trailer bed! ;)

• Haha

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
When I was a kid on the farm, the county was re-decking some old bridges, and there were surplus "bridge planks" to be had for salvage.

These were rough-sawn, creosoted oak 3x10 (12?), 16 to 20 feet long. We had a few of these around for various projects...

Is there a used lumber dealer in your town?

At an estate sale yesterday, I scarfed up almost 1000 BF of air-dried rough sawn clear white oak, 5/4 and 2-by, 8" to 12" wide, mostly 16 foot long. For $250. About a month ago, I priced out 100BF of the same stuff for a truck bed, and was quoted $9.50 a BF. Got mine for about 3c on the dollar!

Got enough select stuff to do about FOUR truck beds, now!

Will skip-plane it, and then rip it to width.

Son is building a 1945 Dodge 2.5t dually flatbed (Cummins powered) for a shop truck. [The body is the rare "blackout" type (black trim instead of stainless).] He's also building a dump body (from scratch!) for a 1942 Dodge 5t truck that will need side extensions.

-Paul

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
^^^^
Paul -

That was a hell of a buy. I think white oak on the stump is/has been real high lately. In northeast, I think WO is one of the few bright spots in the hardwood market.

Only guessing stumpage price pushing $1/bf.

Several species of WO.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Sounds like he's set on not removing any fence, but spending 3-4 times the cost of a ready to use trailer bed! ;)
Many of the used trailers I've seen on FB Market place are homemade junk that's being sold because it's not worth it anymore. The square frame on one was all rusted. Another was made from boat trailer. One I would have to spend $1000 in steel + time to prep and weld before I'd considered driving a lawn mower across it. I did see old semi trailer for cheap, but no way to get it home and placed.
Plus majority of trailers also need new decking - if I need new wood for deck, why not just use bigger beams i've already got.

All in cost will be less than 3,000 depending on final cost and quantity of wood (how I do hand rails, how do the supports, etc). Currently thinking I may do some homemade metal artwork to decorate the hand rails.

Plus the satisfaction of telling my friends and family "I did it all myself."

Dan

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
When I was a kid on the farm, the county was re-decking some old bridges, and there were surplus "bridge planks" to be had for salvage.

These were rough-sawn, creosoted oak 3x10 (12?), 16 to 20 feet long. We had a few of these around for various projects...

Is there a used lumber dealer in your town?

At an estate sale yesterday, I scarfed up almost 1000 BF of air-dried rough sawn clear white oak, 5/4 and 2-by, 8" to 12" wide, mostly 16 foot long. For $250. About a month ago, I priced out 100BF of the same stuff for a truck bed, and was quoted $9.50 a BF. Got mine for about 3c on the dollar!

Got enough select stuff to do about FOUR truck beds, now!

Will skip-plane it, and then rip it to width.

Son is building a 1945 Dodge 2.5t dually flatbed (Cummins powered) for a shop truck. [The body is the rare "blackout" type (black trim instead of stainless).] He's also building a dump body (from scratch!) for a 1942 Dodge 5t truck that will need side extensions.

-Paul
I haven't found any used lumber dealers, but have found people that are selling used lumber - it's either store bought stuff which I'm wanting thicker stuff, it's too small in length (< 6') or it's "antique barn wood and priced at a premium - way more than I'd pay for new custom cut white oak.

Dan

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
"white oak boards" ??
Maybe..... white oak planks ??
I'm planning on using white oak.

Had a few things come up in addition to prior plans and also some out-of-town family now planning on visiting so will be busy pretty much every weekend into September.

Not in any rush to complete bridge, will probably be winter or early spring before completed - weather depending. I'm going to finish drilling holes and getting "stablizers" done between beams. By then I'll have finalized how I want to do bridge, especially the handrails.

Dan

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Container flat racks are another option. A neighbor close to me has one across his creek. I *think* the weight capacity is in the 140K lb range!!!

Like this:

My neighbor's bridge:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Container flat racks are another option. A neighbor close to me has one across his creek. I *think* the weight capacity is in the 140K lb range!!!

Like this:

My neighbor's bridge:

I wonder about the cost?
Plus delivery and placement?

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I wonder about the cost?
Plus delivery and placement?
IRC, he said about $20K for both flatracks, delivery and placement. I don't know if he had them placed on concrete or just bare ground.

His SIL across the street has a bridge made from two (or four) tractor trailers. According to GE, it's about 90 feet long, so I *assume* it's actually four trailers in all. I forget what he said the weight rating was, but it was jaw-dropping.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
This bridge is interesting. Lots of response, ideas and feedback to chew on. I'll soon be needing a bridge to cross over to my back property, but I plan to make it portable. Placed, crossed and removed during winter by my BX2380. In the drier months there's not much flowing. Come winter the creek gets 20ft wide and 3 feet deep, so a bridge will get washed out.

When we bought the place we had quads and I wanted access to the other side at all times. I dropped two big alder trees across, pushed them together at about 40" then I laid 2x6 for the deck. That worked 8 years and 100s of crossings. One winter we got so much rain, the creek took out the bridge.

Lots of ideas going on here, Dan. You'll get it sorted.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
This bridge is interesting. Lots of response, ideas and feedback to chew on. I'll soon be needing a bridge to cross over to my back property, but I plan to make it portable. Placed, crossed and removed during winter by my BX2380. In the drier months there's not much flowing. Come winter the creek gets 20ft wide and 3 feet deep, so a bridge will get washed out.

When we bought the place we had quads and I wanted access to the other side at all times. I dropped two big alder trees across, pushed them together at about 40" then I laid 2x6 for the deck. That worked 8 years and 100s of crossings. One winter we got so much rain, the creek took out the bridge.

Lots of ideas going on here, Dan. You'll get it sorted.
Single span bascule bridge. Might need a decent foundation. I worked on a bridge site that had a bascule span that was designed to be lifted by mules, it was designed in early last century. We put a new bridge there.

A foot bridge above high water and an ATV on the other side might be less expensive. Or a couple more trees.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Single span bascule bridge. Might need a decent foundation. I worked on a bridge site that had a bascule span that was designed to be lifted by mules, it was designed in early last century. We put a new bridge there.

A foot bridge above high water and an ATV on the other side might be less expensive. Or a couple more trees.
Extruded Aluminum (basically the size of a 2x4) is my plan. Structurally, four of them side-by-side under each wheel track has proven to carry the load of my quad cab Toyota 4x4. Not as a creek crossing, just in my shop during testing. Once my BX arrives, I'll have 90% of the needed puzzle pieces. With a little creativity, along with several trips to the weld shop, I'm hopeful to have the bridge ready by next spring.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Naww dont worry about that,, just mash your motor go fast and have fun

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I didn't read pages 2-4, but here's what I'd do:
1. Some bridging between the beams. 2 or 3 should be plenty with those beams.
2. Put your decking directly across the beams. I used 3" PT bridge timbers on my bridge, but I don't know if you can get 8 footers. You indicated you can get white oak cut, so you could use 2 or 2-1/2" boards. We used to have oak bridges that lasted several years. You could treat like some guys do their trailers. Leave a 2" gap so dirt doesn't get trapped and they dry out better. Runners optional.

I have posted a thread on here for my similar 40' x 12' bridge. One thing you'd need to do is figure out how to fasten the deck, I bolted nailers to the top of each beam. I would bolt a 'curb' on each side to help bridge the board ends.

Edit: add link.

Last edited:

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Have you considered bridge planking? Its usually about 4” thick x whatever widths you specify. Its treated and lasts.
Also, maybe 30 years back I was visiting some loggers in western colorado. They showed me the bridges they used to get across ravines. They sourced used rail flatbed cars and drug those across the ravines with their dozers. Those bridges were cheap and sure werent going anywhere. Theyd run loaded logging trucks across them one after another.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Why not get another I beam and run your (rough sawn) decking perpendicular to the I beams? You could run a few decking boards longitudinally the width of your tractor tires for more strength and to spread the load.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Need Bridge (deck) input refers to the requirement for expert advice and input regarding the design and construction of bridge decks. In the realm of structural consultancy, professionals may utilize advanced tools like wall-stud calculator to ensure precise calculations for the construction of bridge walls, optimizing strength and stability. Collaboration between engineers, architects, and consultants is vital to integrate innovative techniques and materials into bridge deck design, enhancing durability and safety for transportation infrastructure.
That's quite the word salad.