Need advice to move 1-1/2 ton pallet of rocks

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well that pretty much kills the idea of rolling those square pegs, er rocks into the bucket! :D

I position the bucket right next to heavy items to be moved, eg out of the back of the truck, at the same height, and slide them into the bucket one at a time. If you could build your project as you shift them from the pallet to your backyard it might save handling each one twice. Not speedy, but relatively safe.

While slavery :eek: is pretty much out of fashion, you might be able to borrow someone strong from a lawn and snow company. Depending on the time of year they may or may not have enough work for all their guys, and will loan one or two out for an afternoon. $14 an hour is the going rate up here. If they can help you relocate the rocks with your loader and/or trailer into several more convenient piles close to the project that might help.

Wow, doesn't sound like an easy project!

Last edited:

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Shaun;
You might try greasing the top side of your boards and sliding them under the
Pallet. Then you could drag the pallet to the end of the boards then have another
set of greased boards to transfer it onto then keep moving your boards ahead as
you go. You would be surprised how easily it would slide. I have moved very
heavy machinery in this fashion inside sawmills where I couldn't get a crane inside. I have moved edgers, planers, head rigs, trimmers, etc, using come-a-longs and greased boards. It sounds kinda primitive, but it works.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
The problem with this whole process is there is not enough paint missing from the machine. Therefore, the ease of operator caused by concerns of cosmetics to machine doesn't allow for full capacity of machine to be used!

Throw a few rocks into the bucket, hoping to scratch paint, maybe you can lift the pile then.
Oh, you stinker! You're forcing me to air my dirty laundry. Okay, I was desperate to get a Kubota, and bought this one sight-unseen. It was a mistake; I paid far more than I should have, and it does look pretty from a distance. It's all just new paint (and the new colors -- didn't you notice that?) covering a multitude of sins.

So, here's the bucket; rocks will only knock off some of the scabs, but won't do anything for the weak hydraulics.

Having said all that, would I give back the tractor if the dealer called me tonight and offered me 100% refund? NWIH. (sorry for the bad language)

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Suggestion # 3563.6

Lift it high enough to put some pipes to roll it on under it, now before you go Hello dip, I already covered that in post 145 not wanting to get on and off the tractor a thousand times ...
Roll the pallet up onto the trailer and then pull that around back! ;)

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Shaun;
You might try greasing the top side of your boards and sliding them under the
Pallet. Then you could drag the pallet to the end of the boards then have another
set of greased boards to transfer it onto then keep moving your boards ahead as
you go. You would be surprised how easily it would slide. I have moved very
heavy machinery in this fashion inside sawmills where I couldn't get a crane inside. I have moved edgers, planers, head rigs, trimmers, etc, using come-a-longs and greased boards. It sounds kinda primitive, but it works.
Well, I don't want to have to do it that way (move a little, re-stage, then repeat). However, your idea sounds like such a neat approach that I want to try it out. If I just "file it away for future reference", it will fall out of one of the holes in my head.

Thanks a bunch!

Oh! Just re-read the suggestion number. I'm a bit miffed that it's only six tenths of a solution, and I take back all the accolades!

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Suggestion # 3563.6

Lift it high enough to put some pipes to roll it on under it, now before you go Hello dip, I already covered that in post 145 not wanting to get on and off the tractor a thousand times ...
Roll the pallet up onto the trailer and then pull that around back! ;)
Man, you are so clever (for a dip) :D and this is one of your best (of the ones I've seen so far -- prolly many, far better, buried in the archives). My "trouble" with the trailer is I don't have a good ramp -- that 'landscape ramp' is heavy, but not stout. I wouldn't try driving the B6100 up it, and I haven't gotten materials to fix it. (Nor the welding skills either.)

I'll have to noodle on how to roll it on the trailer. Hmmm... the trailer is downhill of the pallet, almost a straight line, so there wouldn't be a "crease" where the level changes and the rollers cease functioning. And with the right ramp, the pallet could be moved 'up' the ramp until it went over the "ridge" and tipped into the trailer.

I hope to drag the pallet, but if that doesn't work, I've felt sure that if I could get the pallet loaded on the trailer, the B6100 could haul it down to the trees.

Thanks, NIW, at risk of repeating myself too many times, yer mah heero!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A 3/4 sheet of Plywood would help with the ramp.
But how about just a couple of the 2x8's laying down over the ramp for the rollers to roll on. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Shaun, how about going down to the local high school and talk to the shop teacher? Get a couple of referrals for guys with youth, backs, and a desire for money. Pay two guys a fair wage and it's all be in place in one hour!

You present this problem to the teacher as a lesson maybe he'll schedule a field trip for the whole class in problem solving.

But then if you solve the problem this thread will end........

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
85 man if your kids cant learn from you there is something really wrong. If I had shop teachers,, we called it shop back in the old days,, I would have learned to weld and use a lath and be able to make things with wood, and be able to lay stuff out on a drafting table,, As it was I learned but it would have been much easier from some one that made learning fun.
Ya done good my friend

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
What ever happened to :hey! Wanna make 20 bucks?
When i was a lad, i never turned down a few dollars for a little work.

Im trying to imagine this problem as it were my own,lets say for now without a tractor. Hook my truck to pallet with a couple or three chains and drive.

I pulled a 1000 lb rock out of the ground in my yard, 68 chevy manual trans.
Dug hole,wrapped a chain around it, backed over it and drove away. Ok, tried to drive away. Ramped hole, vertical chain tight to bumper and gave it all she had. Got it out after a days work.

Tractor would pull pallet if you loaded some in bucket and had a handful of short chains. To hitch not three point.

Thinkin...
Too much anaylsis, not enough chucking.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You probably will not have enough traction to drag the rocks with your tractor with or without a skid. Put the tractor in 4-wheel with the brake set, rotate the bucket forward, hook a chain to the top of the bucket and use the bucket hydraulics to drag the pallet a couple of inches. Rotate the bucket forward back up the tractor the inches gained and repeat. It will take time but can all be done from the seat of the tractor.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Bring the bucket from the FEL to just below the top layer of rock and tilt it slightly back, you will find the sweet spot between too level and too steep of an angle. Do NOT cut the screen that is holding the rock together on the pallet, just cut down one layer at a time. Slide - do not pick up - the rock into the bucket. Put one layer or two into the bucket depending on what you are capable of doing. Take the tractor to where you want the rock and gently empty it. Go back and get another load. Now the important part - BEER BREAK. Repeat until you have had enough for the day or all the rock has been moved. Or, take one load of rock where you want it and put it in place - BEER BREAK. Repeat until done.

At some point you will be able to use a chain and drag whatever is left on the pallet to where you want it.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
If he had moved one rock every time he posted on OT for the last three days he would be ready to drag it tomorrow.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Bring the bucket from the FEL to just below the top layer of rock and tilt it slightly back, you will find the sweet spot between too level and too steep of an angle. Do NOT cut the screen that is holding the rock together on the pallet, just cut down one layer at a time. Slide - do not pick up - the rock into the bucket. Put one layer or two into the bucket depending on what you are capable of doing. Take the tractor to where you want the rock and gently empty it. Go back and get another load. Now the important part - BEER BREAK. Repeat until you have had enough for the day or all the rock has been moved. Or, take one load of rock where you want it and put it in place - BEER BREAK. Repeat until done.

At some point you will be able to use a chain and drag whatever is left on the pallet to where you want it.
After all those beer breaks he won't need the tractor to drag what's left. :D

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Cooler full of beer, bbq and all the neighbors come over for wheelbarrow races. Winner is the fastest with the most stone moved.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Re: Need advice to move 1-1/2 ton pallet -- Update

Okay, SOMEBODY outed me: I've failed to update the status of my challenge. So here comes the update... but no neat conclusion (and not a cliff-hanger, exactly):

I got some great suggestions, and found ways to incorporate most of them. I was astonished at the power of this little monster (having trouble thinking of her as a 'Kub' now!). Here's an example: The load was situated in a way that had it locked in by a tree and by some hedges (see pic 'Blocked'); I needed to rotate it about 15° to slip by the tree or the hedges (same rotation would serve either direction). Attached a cable to the 'downhill' (maybe 5° slope) end of the two runners, looped it over my hitch, and twisted that pallet around. (see pic 'Twisting')

Unfortunately, the tension on the cable was enough to pull it through the ties (see pic 'Uh oh! Splitting'), so I had to modify the attachment before I could do any more pulling. I bored the holes to about 1-1/4" and drove 8" or 10" 1/2" nipples through them, screwed floor plates on the outer ends, then threaded the cable through that. That worked great at transferring the force into the runners rather than through them, and I was able to pull on them without any more damage.

However, trying to drag the load was a different matter. As Grouse Feathers suggested, I couldn't get traction, even putting boards under the runners provided no joy.

So, switch to olthumpa's plan "BB": slide a layer of rocks into the bucket and drive it down. As it happens, the monster could handle about 3/5 of a bucketful at a time, about 2-1/2 layers. So I made a trip, tried to drag the remainder; no joy.

Now I have to offer some excuses here. Somehow I got confused over the number of "beers" this process was supposed to use (maybe because I drink Guinness, and all the high-school kids were in class; I had to drink them all myself so I might have overdone one thing or another). But my excuse is it was never clear if I was supposed to drink one, then load; drink one, drive down; drink one, unload; drink one, drive back up; repeat.

Anyway, Since I had sunk to the level of doing it the way I really din't want to do (one step above wheeling it with a wheelbarrow), I drank another Guinness or six, and eventually found the load light enough that I could drag it down to the swamp. (I realize I hadn't mentioned swamp before; there have been several rainy days since I started the project, so the "back bottom" has devolved into "the swamp".

So finally, I have some rocks (see pic '1 if by bucket') scattered around the base of a tree, and some (see pic '2 if by sled') neatly stacked on a pallet. Sadly, the rocks I moved with the loader and dumped in what I though would facilitate erection of the retaining wall are now in the way of whatever I need to do, whether mow or build a wall.

So, a total success, if not a neatly bundled one.

The thumbnails show the obstructions, a bit of the twist, the tearing out of the cable, and the conclusion with pallet near one of the trees and the rest of the rocks scattered around my favorite hickory.

I haven't started stacking them, and I probably won't. About the time I was getting the skid dragged down, I got a response to a request for an arborist to advise me on how large a well to make in order to protect the trees from landfill damage. The answer was, "make it a bit larger than the drip line". Otherwise, you're going to kill them so cut the trees down.

How big would it be? 25' would do for one; 35-40 feet for the two hickories. The wells would be so wide and overlap in such a way that the yard would be unusable. I'd have to "mow" it with a weedeater because it would create islands that... oh, you get the idea.

"So," you might say, "why didn't you read Luke 14:28 before you started the project? Or, if you did, why didn't you pay attention to Luke 14:29?"

"Well," I might answer, "I did, but I thought I needed a dose of humility." If pressed to give a truthful answer, I'd have to admit, "I'm stoopit!"

Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm always amazed when someone can drink more the a couple guiness in one sitting :D two guiness and I'm full :rolleyes: good job!!! Those little pallets of rock can be a bear. I'm a firm believer in paying for delivery and have them drop them where I need them with one of those three wheeled fork lifts :D And I don't place the order till the ground is good, dry and solid :D Much easier on my back