Need a replacement battery

felhen

Equipment
Kubota L3200DT, FDR1660 land pride finish mower, LA 524 front end loader
Oct 22, 2021
FL
I have a 2014 kubota L3200DT new with a smf 75D23R battery in it. I need a new battery, what is best replacement battery for my tractor?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The 75D23R is the JIS number for the battery. It converts to a group 25 battery. Just be aware of battery size and post locations with other sizes that may physically fit, the cables may not reach without modification.

Battery threads are like oil/grease threads, you will get a variety of responses

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a 2014 kubota L3200DT new with a smf 75D23R battery in it. I need a new battery, what is best replacement battery for my tractor?

Measure you battery - LxWxH ..........and look at post alignment. Then go and buy the largest CCA battery that will fit that space.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The critical thing here is vibration and shock to the battery plates. A Kubota battery or a Deere TY21764A will be built with that in mind. The (brand deleted: I ain't married to none of 'em) ... So it does depend on how you use the machine.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have been buying Deka batteries for the past several years with good results.

SDT

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The critical thing here is vibration and shock to the battery plates. A Kubota battery or a Deere TY21764A will be built with that in mind. The Wally world will not and the price will be lower. So it does depend on how you use the machine.
The statement categorically, that “Wally world” batteries are not appropriate is not only wrong, it’s unhelpful. The point that some batteries are not as well-designed for shock/vibration is valid however.
Af a battery cross-references to the partnumber then it’s appropriate for similar use. For example: Virtually all “Marine” batteries are protected for shock/vibrtion, as are most ”deep cycle” batteries and SOME automotive types..
I am not a WM sycophant and I hate it when I hear how they treat their employees… but
that does not transfer to all the companies whose products are sold by them. WalMart sells all types, so it’s not correct to imply that all their batteries are unsuitable for replacements. WalMart batteries are primarily mfr’d by Johnson Controls, a well-respected battery mfr’r who makes many “branded label” batteries on retailer-order which are identical regardless of “brand name”.
(and the ordinary automotive WM “Ever-Start” battery that has been in my M4700 for 7 years has still not self-destructed due to shock/vibration.)
Disclosure statement: I derive no benefit from it but My nephew works for Johnson Controls. :p

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The critical thing here is vibration and shock to the battery plates. A Kubota battery or a Deere TY21764A will be built with that in mind. The (brand deleted: I ain't married to none of 'em) ... So it does depend on how you use the machine.
I have had no problems with a Autozone battery that is listed for a Honda Civic (but sized identical to my OEM tractor battery). My tractor uses for several years has most definitely subjected the battery to vibration and shock.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
WalMart batteries are primarily mfr’d by Johnson Controls, a well-respected battery mfr’r who makes many “branded label” batteries on retailer-order which are identical regardless of “brand name”.
How would you know that the internals are identical? If you ever talked to anyone that tried to supply product to Walmart, then you would know that the buyers will try to beat every nickle out of the price. It is possible that batteries are a product that is of reduced quality.
I had two different vehicles with Walmart batteries and they were a disaster. Sure, they stood behind the warranty but after a number of damaging leaks I had to give up. Never again!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
How would you know that the internals are identical? If you ever talked to anyone that tried to supply product to Walmart,…….
What part of “Disclosure statement: I derive no benefit from it but My nephew works for Johnson Controls.” did you not understand?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What part of “Disclosure statement: I derive no benefit from it but My nephew works for Johnson Controls.” did you not understand?
[/QUOTE
How would you know that the internals are identical? If you ever talked to anyone that tried to supply product to Walmart, then you would know that the buyers will try to beat every nickle out of the price. It is possible that batteries are a product that is of reduced quality.
I had two different vehicles with Walmart batteries and they were a disaster. Sure, they stood behind the warranty but after a number of damaging leaks I had to give up. Never again!
I have had the exact opposite of your experience...... with more than several Walmart batteries.
If you can compare batteries, the heavier battery will always be the best value.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I had the same issue recently with my 20the17 L3901. As soon as the weather turned cool it turned over very slow once the glow plug light went off. After having to jump it this weekend I tried several local places and ended up at one of the Kubota dealers for the same price of what one of the national chain battery stores wanted. Win win for me! I have the new battery on charge in the garage and will put it in the tractor this weekend.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I go to the local Interstate battery distributor and buy the batteries that have been returned, but there is nothing wrong with them. Interstate dealers are told to replace a battery once if the customer complains that the battery is defective. These batteries go back to the warehouse and are checked to make sure that they are good, and then a generic label is placed on the battery. These batteries are usually sold to used car dealers and new car dealers for their used cars. In this class of batteries are batteries that have been on the inventory shelves of Interstate dealers and hadn't sold in X number of months. They also go back to the warehouse where they are charged and checked for performance, and they also get the generic labels. I have been buying these batteries for years, and have had great luck with them lasting many years in service. The price is very reasonable and well worth looking into. Call first and ask if they have the size battery available, and if they do, bring your old battery with you to save the core deposit. The store that I use gives a 12-month warranty, but I don't know if all the stores in the chain do this.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I go to the local Interstate battery distributor and buy the batteries that have been returned, but there is nothing wrong with them. Interstate dealers are told to replace a battery once if the customer complains that the battery is defective. These batteries go back to the warehouse and are checked to make sure that they are good, and then a generic label is placed on the battery. These batteries are usually sold to used car dealers and new car dealers for their used cars. In this class of batteries are batteries that have been on the inventory shelves of Interstate dealers and hadn't sold in X number of months. They also go back to the warehouse where they are charged and checked for performance, and they also get the generic labels. I have been buying these batteries for years, and have had great luck with them lasting many years in service. The price is very reasonable and well worth looking into. Call first and ask if they have the size battery available, and if they do, bring your old battery with you to save the core deposit. The store that I use gives a 12-month warranty, but I don't know if all the stores in the chain do this.
Wow, I've never heard of this. Thanks for the tip

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wow, I've never heard of this. Thanks for the tip
Walmart sells their EverStart Maxx for a very fair price.
No hunting around necessary for a nearby Walmart, and the warranty is excellent.
EverStart, is made by Johnson Controls, the largest battery manufacturer in the world.
Things to look for when buying a battery:
How heavy is it?
How long ago was date of mfg.?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
courtesy of the internet...........

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone.

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a US privately owned battery marketing and distribution company. It markets automotive batteries manufactured by Brookfield Business Partners, Exide Technologies, and others through independent distributors.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
courtesy of the internet...........
The most impressive part about Interstate Batteries is the marketing hype!
Interstate markets to new suckers across the USA every single day.

Fishbait

Equipment
L3901 JD 2510
Nov 28, 2022
Bastrop tx
Old post..... but my 1.5 cents.... I have used Walmart batteries and their Everstart batteries in my bass boat, Dodge Cummins (new in 1999), JD garden tractor, Mitsubishi Montero, Honda Accord, Nissan 350Z, Isuzu Rodeo and as gate openers and have never had an issue with them not holding up for the long term.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Old post..... but my 1.5 cents.... I have used Walmart batteries and their Everstart batteries in my bass boat, Dodge Cummins (new in 1999), JD garden tractor, Mitsubishi Montero, Honda Accord, Nissan 350Z, Isuzu Rodeo and as gate openers and have never had an issue with them not holding up for the long term.
Good for you, I went thru hell with them.