Need a BB/Pellet gun

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Benjamin Marauder PCP. They come in .177, .22, and .25.

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Benjamin Marauder PCP. They come in .177, .22, and .25.
What's an Mrod these days? $350? plus a pump, or an air tank that requires refill?

Complexity and costs add quickly.

CO2 carts for tree rats is just ideal!

Now that I'm thinking on it. If one were only trying to suppress the tree rat presence, and wanted to "Buy American" The Crosman 2300 pistol with a 4X optic would be about Ideal.

I'm going to refit the one I have with the pistol scope and will give comment when things happen.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You could consider subsonic ammo for your rimfire. It will be about the same noise level as a spring piston pellet rifle. If you want a spring piston air rifle, their effective accuracy range is about fifty yards and it will take a bit of practice to get there. I would spend the extra money and look for a Diana 34 or a Weihrauch HW95. I find the German quality far superior to the Chinese. This would be a $300 "bb gun". I prefer .177 for less drop with distance (higher velocity). It will easily kill a squirrel if you can hit it. You can go a step up and get into PCP but that will require a pump or other air source and many need a moderator to quiet them down. They can be mouse fart quiet.

challer61

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX with numerous attachments
Aug 2, 2021
Central VA
Check your laws. Where I live, Arlington VA, air guns are just at banned as guns. You can own them but discharge is a felony. Silenced 22 for rodents is quieter and more effective than an air gun.

• Wow

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I shoot a RWS Diana in .22. I bought it when i lived in NJ to take care of the tree rats and the neighbor's were close, never any complaints.
It's also a Tack Driver out to 40 yards.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I bought into a benjamin steel eagle 177.

It is NOT loud. I often shoot in the shop and it's quiet.
--BUT--
noise has a lot to do with the pellet choice. 4.5gr pellets? LOL they are supersonic for a little over 100 yards out of this little steel eagle, and thus you get a nice "crack" similar to a .22LR. Rougly 130 yards they go transonic, So I almost exclusively use 7.8gr pellets which are MUCH quieter and slower. It's no noisier than a Daisy Red Ryder bb gun. Squirrels are an easy kill out to roughly 75-90 yards. Much beyond that and wind among other things is a big factor. I have not shot it enough to be able to compensate for wind so I tend to keep the shots under about 80 yards or so. Got a couple rabbits last year during snowmageddon too. Dinner.

when they go transonic weird stuff happens, they start tumbling and doing odd stuff. I've shot out to 140 yards with it and it leaves a weird hole in the target-if it hits it at all. But with the heavier 7.8gr pellets it is not a big issue. Drop and wind are a huge issue.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
:ROFLMAO: Only reason I laughed at the sling shot and bow is that I have tried them both in my younger years. I was terrible than and don't think I have improved any since

40 acres but the squirrels I need to get rid of are undermining a shared road and destroying the root systems on the apricot trees and for the first year are screwing with the garden plants.
Very easy to get a safe/clear shot at them and nothing illegal about shooting guns but I am trying to not advertise what I am doing. A few of the neighbors on that side on smaller lots are (IMO) nuts about the critters-feeding deer etc. so I try not to upset them too much because they are really nice people and are always willing to lend a hand. They just don't quite understand crops and stuff.
I see Bark that is very considerate of you. A silenced .22 short rifle (bolt action) would be the very best IMO. That would take some time to get the silencer, but just thinking for future (next year, etc).

I doubt they will hear a pellet gun if you are say in the middle of that 40 acres Shooting. As far as sound mine were about the same (.177 or .22 cal) so I don’t think it matters much. I always had a Crossman pump.

I think I would go with a .22 cal as well. Easier to handle the pellets.

challer61

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX with numerous attachments
Aug 2, 2021
Central VA
Stoeger S4000-E Suppressed. If it must be air. My 22 LR suppressed surprises everyone. It literally is whisper quiet.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Bark,

I picked up a Gamo Swarm Wisper in .22 cal about 2 years ago. Love it! Comes with a decent scope and is quite accurate with the right pellets (Predator GTO) domed head pellets in 11.75 grains is extremely accurate and this thing hits hard. Its not very noisy either.

Best part of this rifle is that it uses a 10 round rotary magazine (that you load up with pellets). All you need to do is (break barrel) and it loads a new pellet for you. Have two spare cartridges and you're good to go. I have some nice steel resetting targets (rat, squirrel etc) that I have position about 25 yards from my deck...It's a lot of fun.

Get yourself one. It will do squirrels like mad.

Here is the rifle and magazine...I think the one shown here is in .177. Mine (.22 cal) has a green band at the recoil pad instead of red.

View attachment 64610

View attachment 64611
Oooo I like this one. Too bad I can just use a .22 rimfire or I would get one!

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I had an air rifle, a cheapo Crossman from the hardware store. I upgraded to a ‘Little Badger’ 22. I use 22 short subsonics (CCI 29 grain?) I bet it’s quieter than the pellet gun was. With a Bushnell red dot optic, it’s great fun and not overly expensive.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
This one is fairly deadly on small varmints. Gamo 220 Hunter. Original scope was junk. Replaced it with Winchester air rifle scope and it works well.
Accuracy is within a quarter at 50 yards.

Attachments

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
What's an Mrod these days? $350? plus a pump, or an air tank that requires refill?

Complexity and costs add quickly.
With scope around $600 for the rifle/scope. You need a handpump, but don’t have have to have an air tank. You can easily go over 1000 if not 1500 if you keep adding to make it easier to shoot lots without hand pumping, and improve the accuracy and air efficiency. I have a electric pump that is water cooled and have acccuracy enhancements. It’s a toy not just a tool.

D

Deleted member 47704

I have the Gamo whisper fusion…that is LOUD! The one I have is 1400 FPS…so better than my .22.

17 caliber…and put a good scope on it. I can put the pellet in their ear hole with my set up. I hate squirrels…they destroy everything around.
I have one in .22 1020 fps its quiet-ish

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Interesting. Some of the ones I am interested in, particularly through pyramid air, are currently unavailable. Same with some of the Gamo ones.
I finally did order a Gamo Swarm Whisper Air Rifle in .22. for $127.27. It comes with the cheapo (probably) scope but I figured it would be a good starter air rifle for the price. Also, it is "Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC".
Reason why that makes me happy is that I have less of a problem returning things sold by the actual Amazon company (don't ask me why).
Anyway, I appreciate all of the input. In a couple of days I will have a new toy to play with while I continue to look for the perfect gun without breaking the bank---my wife just said "You'll shoot your eye out".

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Interesting. Some of the ones I am interested in, particularly through pyramid air, are currently unavailable. Same with some of the Gamo ones.
I finally did order a Gamo Swarm Whisper Air Rifle in .22. for $127.27. It comes with the cheapo (probably) scope but I figured it would be a good starter air rifle for the price. Also, it is "Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC".
Reason why that makes me happy is that I have less of a problem returning things sold by the actual Amazon company (don't ask me why).
Anyway, I appreciate all of the input. In a couple of days I will have a new toy to play with while I continue to look for the perfect gun without breaking the bank---my wife just said "You'll shoot your eye out".
My original scope was a BSA, supposedly rated for airguns. These piston recoil rifles put severe strain on scopes. After shooting a few times, it would not hold zero.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Something thing to consider when choosing between .22 Rim Fire and an air gun for any activities around others or properties. Even if the projectiles go out at similar velocities, The diabolo "Pellet" has a remarkably inferior ballistic constant compared to a 30 grain or 40 grain .22 CB or Short.

Pells just don't carry as far. And they really come undone after any deflection.

I have had them come right back at me after striking square on a tree branch or trunk though.

Be carefull! You might put your eye out.

Air guns are easily enjoyed, I have 10 of 'em ;-)

• Wow
D

Deleted member 47704

Another option is CCI QUIET ammo. I have to shoot it back to back with my pellet gun, but it doesn't sound very loud or like a firearm.Short range only and nothing bigger than a tree rat.