Need a BB/Pellet gun

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I have a wide variety of fire arms but have never owned a bb gun so:
Without going into all the details why I can no longer just use a .22 short/cb or bb cap to off these squirrels that are over running our area I need some advice.
I need a non-CO2 pellet or pellet/bb gun with scope. One that wont break the bank. Also, noise has become an issue so I don't know if an .177 or a .22 pellet gun is better or worse.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Without going into all the details why I can no longer just use a .22 short/cb or bb cap to off these squirrels that are over running our area I need some advice.
I need a non-CO2 pellet or pellet/bb gun with scope. One that wont break the bank. Also, noise has become an issue so I don't know if an .177 or a .22 pellet gun is better or worse.
the gamo crack barrel pellet guns are pretty mean, but just like you mentioned, they are very noisy. Especially when they are brand new.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
There are several good brands; Gamo, Beeman, RWS.

Reactions: 1 users

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have the Gamo whisper fusion…that is LOUD! The one I have is 1400 FPS…so better than my .22.

17 caliber…and put a good scope on it. I can put the pellet in their ear hole with my set up. I hate squirrels…they destroy everything around.

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Anyone that knows what to listen for is going to recognize the distinct sound of a air based pellet gun going off. 177 or .22...I grew up shooting these...thousands of pellets through both calibers.

If sound is an issue it means you are very close to neighbors and your aren't going to get away with it. They sound louder than a .22 short out of a 18 inch rifle barrel. They probably have video cameras on you if they really care about the squirrels. I had a major issues with them in Virginia eating my Camellia buds all the time. I set out 3 traps, caught and transported about 20 of them over a week or so. They stopped. Maybe poison also?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
How about a slingshot rifle? Only 300 FPS but should be quiet. Shoots 8mm ball bearings. Just a crazy idea probably…available with a scope.

• Haha

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
:ROFLMAO: Only reason I laughed at the sling shot and bow is that I have tried them both in my younger years. I was terrible than and don't think I have improved any since

If sound is an issue it means you are very close to neighbors and your aren't going to get away with it.
40 acres but the squirrels I need to get rid of are undermining a shared road and destroying the root systems on the apricot trees and for the first year are screwing with the garden plants.
Very easy to get a safe/clear shot at them and nothing illegal about shooting guns but I am trying to not advertise what I am doing. A few of the neighbors on that side on smaller lots are (IMO) nuts about the critters-feeding deer etc. so I try not to upset them too much because they are really nice people and are always willing to lend a hand. They just don't quite understand crops and stuff.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
How about a slingshot rifle? Only 300 FPS but should be quiet. Shoots 8mm ball bearings. Just a crazy idea probably…available with a scope.

Dude that’s great, i wonder what the laws on them are.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Bark,

I picked up a Gamo Swarm Wisper in .22 cal about 2 years ago. Love it! Comes with a decent scope and is quite accurate with the right pellets (Predator GTO) domed head pellets in 11.75 grains is extremely accurate and this thing hits hard. Its not very noisy either.

Best part of this rifle is that it uses a 10 round rotary magazine (that you load up with pellets). All you need to do is (break barrel) and it loads a new pellet for you. Have two spare cartridges and you're good to go. I have some nice steel resetting targets (rat, squirrel etc) that I have position about 25 yards from my deck...It's a lot of fun.

Get yourself one. It will do squirrels like mad.

Here is the rifle and magazine...I think the one shown here is in .177. Mine (.22 cal) has a green band at the recoil pad instead of red.

Gamo Swarm Wisper.JPG

Gamo Swarm Wisper cartridgeJPG.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Bark,

I picked up a Gamo Swarm Wisper in .22 cal about 2 years ago. Love it! Comes with a decent scope and is quite accurate with the right pellets (Predator GTO) domed head pellets in 11.75 grains is extremely accurate and this thing hits hard. Its not very noisy ether.

Best part of this rifle is that it uses a 10 round rotary magazine (that you load up with pellets). All you need to do is (break barrel) and it loads a new pellet for you. Have two spare cartridges and you're good to go. I have some nice steel resetting targets (rat, squirrel etc) that I have position about 25 yards from my deck...It's a lot of fun.

Get yourself one. It will do squirrels like mad.

Here is the rifle and magazine...I think the one shown here is in .177. Mine (.22 cal) has a green band at the recoil pad instead of red.

View attachment 64610

View attachment 64611
Damn that’s badass! I’m so tired of one shot at a time

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If you want quiet. CO2 is the way to go!

The QB-72 is the price to performance leader. (<$150 IIRC)
I keep one in the AR2078 thumbhole version leaning against the door frame by my desk.

Fitted with an inexpensive Barska 4X scope, It's likely ended the careers of 200 squirrels. With more on the list as our fruit trees come in.
14.3 grain Domed Crossman pells in .22 . Pfffft. and very accurate out to 30-35 yards. (Like head shot accurate)

I bought a box of Mil Surp. CO2 carts years ago and have barely made a dent in the box . 60-70 shots per pair. I have done some "gas saving" mods to the striker assembly. So that helps. The rifle shoots at about 675 fps over the chrony. Hits all go through and through unless it's one right up the butt. Slow moving pells are "neighborhood friendly".

I recently picked up a Crosman pistol, which assembly served as the model for the QB 72's.
It's harder to hit critters out past 20 yards, but that 'cause I can't hold steady, and the zero magnification red dot doesn't help. I need to get a pistol scope.

I've got all types of airguns, The .22 PCP is out and ready now as well, we had raccoons in the peach tree the other night. I've warned the neighbors if they hear a bang. It's LOUD!

For fun back deck shooting, the venerable Crosman/ Benjamin 392 pump up is a winner. But it is LOUD!

Go .22, the .177 pells are too fiddly

eta

For tree rats, a multi shot gun is a waste. There is NEVER a second shot if you got anywhere near on the first.

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
As mentioned

.17 are fiddly.

I've got two. One is the crosman 760
Ive got the plastic five shot "clips" for it, but mostly I use it as a muzzle loading scatter gun.
It's shoots a load of cous cous to down wood boring bees like no tomorrow! Great fun! ;-)

The other is a high power PCP. 16 grain EunJin pells go out with a sonic CRACK. but dang! those things are small. Or else my fingers are big.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

They will run a bit slower and may be more "stealthy" and generally hit harder.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Quietest springer air gun I have shot is the RWS48 side lever. I had that model in .177, but sold it.

Got the chinese knock off in .22. I think I paid $200 for it. Great shooter, but heavy.
Mine is fitted with peeps. A good combination out to 45- yards.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I have a gamo shadow sport, and I use the pba raptor pellets, very accurate very deadly
16290815960113627894261912129172.jpg

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Silencers on air guns are legal for now