MX5000 hitch balls

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
I'm using a Kubota MX5000 for mowing, bush hogging, chipping etc. the hitch lift arm balls are cat 2. Everything I use have cat 1 holes and pins. So I have to used bushings one very implement, which I really want to get away from. What is the easiest way to do this? Changing the lift arm ends, changing the balls? I just hate to use those bushings, because most ot the time they are too short compared to the distance between the lift ears on the implement to maintain a good support, leaving the bushing sliding. Any help would be appreciated.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I'm using a Kubota MX5000 for mowing, bush hogging, chipping etc. the hitch lift arm balls are cat 2. Everything I use have cat 1 holes and pins. So I have to used bushings one very implement, which I really want to get away from. What is the easiest way to do this? Changing the lift arm ends, changing the balls? I just hate to use those bushings, because most ot the time they are too short compared to the distance between the lift ears on the implement to maintain a good support, leaving the bushing sliding. Any help would be appreciated.
I would suggest a quick hitch, it is so much faster and easier to hook up. That being said you'll have to make all your implements quick hitch compatable if they aren't already.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Change the pins on your equipment, they are cheap.
If you switch to a quick hitch you will need bushings but they pin on and are not removable.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Take a new set of the cat 2 to cat 1 bushings. Put them on a pin (to keep from flattening them) then into a vise. Take a prick punch and dimple the outside all over. This will increase the OD of the bushings. Then drive them into the cat 2 balls on your tractor. This should keep then in place.
Similar to knurling on a lathe.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Others may have different experiences but I've found that changing pins is PiA. If they've been in use for years-to-decades you just about have to cut them off with torch. If using a wrench I bet you have to use a pipe wrench for a backup on the pin body. Either way time and trouble and waste.

I use bushings and find them to be no big deal. Find washers on sale by the pound and get a sackful. Use washers on the pin body (or even on the bushing itself) to space out the bushing where you want it. Bushings and washers are inexpensive: leave a complete set on each implement and clip lynch pins into the pins to keep 'em where you leave them. Next time you need them, everything is ready to go.

Years ago picked up some implement with longer-than-usual undersize pins; had to use two bushings end-to-end on same pin. Worked fine. Have also trimmed bushings occasionally and even notched one set to accomodate the pin.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Myself, if using bushings are out of the question. I would suggest doing it the right way and replace the cat 1 pins with cat 2 and be done with it.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Change the pins on your equipment, they are cheap.
If you switch to a quick hitch you will need bushings but they pin on and are not removable.
Ended up changing all the pins. Went to tractor supply and got a bag of Cat 1 pins and went to work :). Don't have that many to change: Brand new Everything Att. 5 ft bush hog, a 5 ft Kingkutter mower, and my favorite toy, a Woodmaxx hydraulic feed chipper. Love that thing.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How does this solve your problem, "got a bag of Cat 1 pins and went to work"?

Didn't you have Cat. 1 pins in everything causing you to use bushings to get to Cat 2?

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Cat 2 pins. Sorry for misspelling...

"Adventure Is Just Bad Planning" - Roald Amundsen